News Content Recap: Beyond - Chapter Four Livestream - Mining and Squadrons

As previously said I'm very excited about this livestream...great job FDev !

Two questions though...

Persistance :

Adam answer about persistance in mining was a little big vague. If I understood well, once an asteroid explode with seismic charges the explosion cloud will me permanent for a few hours / days right ? So, no matter the instance, players will see the same explosion cloud right ?

Also, when you send a probe on a ring and the hot spots appear...those specific hot spots are permanent or they will change from an instance to another ?

Collector limpets AI:

Will they stop killing themselves everywhere ? They'll have some job ahead with the asteroids fragments...

Last edited:
Good stream, mining looks awesome and a lot of fun!

That said, I do have a few concerns about mining in 3.3:

1. Are limpet controller racks planned for 3.3 or a future update? Opening up internal space would widen ship choices for mining.
  2. Four hardpoints now to mine properly, that will leave most mining ships very defenseless. Guess it will be best to mine in remote isolated places in 3.3 with most ships.
  3. The surface, sub-surface, and interior ores all float very close to the asteroid when broken free. Won't the collector limpets suicide themselves regularly, or is the limpet AI being improved for 3.3?

Other than that, man I can't wait to try my hands at this.

1. Four hardpoints now to mine properly, that will leave most mining ships very defenseless. Guess it will be best to mine in remote isolated places in 3.3 with most ships.
This is what I thought of, too when watching. When I've gone mining I am harrassed constantly by npc pirates who want every bit of ore I process as soon as I process it. It is why, when I do mine, I go to isolated spots as you say.

So I'm curious how it all works out in the game with this new stuff. Obviously in a wing you can have a defender with you. If you are in a big ship you can probably have enough weaponry to fend off the pirates and still be able to mine.

The Squadrons are awesome, that was much more than I expected from you guys, I can't wait to test this new feature properly.

But I shall ask for a couple of features before this will be released officially.

First of all: the language. Ok, I know that the supported languages are english, spanish, russian, french, german and portoguese (hope I didn't forget any :p ), but many PMFs will use even not supported languages to communicate in the Squadron of course, so even if you don't support officially a language, allow us to set our language of choice to find new players. It's gonna be crucial for us, because it's gonna be one of the main features our players will probably look for.

Second: I'm totally ok with being pledged permanently to a minor faction, but I think this could be just one. Please keep the other 4 slots as bookmarks, giving us the possibility to change that. This could be useful for example to check enemy factions, or allied ones, etc.

Anyway: great job, really, I'm astonished, very well thought in any way.

0. MINING: The hardpoint issue with mining mods seems... scary. i use small ships...and my keelback, for mining. i have never managed to buy anything bigger than a krait mk2 and i cant outfit her yet cuz my credits are always taking hits from rebuys. so adding more hard point options for mining will leave smaller ships defenceless it seems. i dont fly with wings mostly cuz ive learned the hard way there are alot of mean spirited people out there. and im kinda the loner type by personality.

1. EXPLORATION: I dont like the fact that there was mentions of rolling all of it into one module... its not, the default, advanced and intermediat ones were all rolled into one but you still need at least 2 slots to properly explore, ouches on smaller ships.

2. MINING QUESTION: can those Siesmic Charges be fired anywhere? (makes hopeful eyes) i wanna be flying into battle with astroid nukes! [big grin]
Addition: Nvm on the mining charge question, i dont think it'd work the way i thought it was going to *has watched the demo vid*.... i was hoping it would be acting more like the Remote Flak Launcher... i mean i eally want a weapon that looks like a nuclear explosion in space *que deathstar exploding*

Last edited:
I've been playing since GPP and never mined before, this livestream realy tickled my senses and mining will certainly get a place on my to do list after 3.3 is released on Xbox.
Squadrons don't interest me that much, I'm a solo player.

Ugh so much new cool stuff in Q4, where to start?!?!?

Next week is the last livestream right?, about ships!

Great job on the updates for Q4 so far, it's looking great! :)

Can I ask in regards to mining; Can we expect with the new squadrons & mining updates, to have new content in terms of missions aimed at mining? IE. Deep/long haul Space expeditions that collect a rare resource from afar? It'd be a great addition to tie in exploration as well!

Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work! :)

Greetings Commanders and FDev Devs,

Watched the live stream tonight and all is good, but I have one concern about Squadrons - and that's the one Squadron limit that seems implicit in the content i've seen. This strikes me as a problem as I suspect a lot of commanders are members of more than one player grouping.

For instance - say i'm a member of a Squadron. I decide to go on something like Distant Worlds 2 and they have a Squadron. I then have to resign from my first Squadron to join the Distant Worlds one. On return to the bubble i've then got to resign the second one to rejoin the first one.

Faced with having to make a choice, commanders might not want to join any Squadrons!

Would it not be better to permit a player to have multiple Squadron allegiences but only have one active at any time, with a facility to allow switching between Squadron allegiences as appropriate? If neccessary you could limit each commander to membership of 2 or 3 Squadrons - but at least this would save commanders from being forced into aligning with just one Squadron, or worst still discouraging them from never using the Squadron facility at all.

If I have misinterpreted this one-squadron limit, then apologies and I withdraw the above!

Thanks,
Cmdr Nhi Vanye i Chya.

Squadrons looks really good. While I may have wished for a more complex rank system, the 5 ranks is adequate for most player group's needs and custom permissions features is really good.

I've already started preparing my permissions.

i0oMJlU.png

I'm not sure I'm as impressed with mining though. I had hoped for limpet controller changes. I think I need to get my hands on it in the beta.

I would like to see a whole lot of miners in deep space decimate a section of pristine ring.
(if we did that, can the graphics reflect that a section of ring is empty with nothing there?)

Hi CMRDs,

I'm very happy whit squadrons! great job!!

but...

10 Millions is the final fee? can produce thousands of squadrons with no sense - 100M one CMDR or 500M among several commanders can be better.

Please give us to squadrons with PvP characteristic the possibility to kill anyone who leave a squadron just like the SuperPowers, with an internal message of betrayal and the possibility to the faction leader to accept or not to send this betrayal mission to all the squadron members. And put this CMDr in a internal blacklist like the criminal Coriolis info with the last known place with a red message when is scanned like the SuperPowers.

Give us the hability to make coalitions with other squadrons (public and visible).

Thanks ^_^

(sorry my english)

Hi CMRDs,

I'm very happy whit squadrons! great job!!

but...

10 Millions is the final fee? can produce thousands of squadrons with no sense - 100M one CMDR or 500M among several commanders can be better.

Please give us to squadrons with PvP characteristic the possibility to kill anyone who leave a squadron just like the SuperPowers, with an internal message of betrayal and the possibility to the faction leader to accept or not to send this betrayal mission to all the squadron members. And put this CMDr in a internal blacklist like the criminal Coriolis info with the last known place with a red message when is scanned like the SuperPowers.

Give us the hability to make coalitions with other squadrons (public and visible).

Thanks ^_^

(sorry my english)
Squadrons are just in game groups. If anything they should be completely free to create.

All the mining features on the stream are awesome, but i miss one thing: to do something with limpets, so they won't take cargo space, for example moving them to ammunition section (limpet's quantity depends from limpet controller size). Explorer's probes aren't taking cargo space, so why miner's limpets are?

my only issue is, it appears they did away with res sites. Since that is the Combat player's bread and butter.. i guess they want combat players to leave? our income is already horrible as it is. forcing us into CZ's that pay practically nothing is a sure fire route to uninstallation en masse

to be clear, are they removing the resource extraction sites?

I pray they aren't.

You still have the Nav Beacon, Combat Zones, Supercruise Bounty-Hunting...

All the mining features on the stream are awesome, but i miss one thing: to do something with limpets, so they won't take cargo space, for example moving them to ammunition section (limpet's quantity depends from limpet controller size). Explorer's probes aren't taking cargo space, so why miner's limpets are?

This generally isn't too bad because as you use up limpets, that frees cargo space for what you find.

Limpet controllers / internal slots are probably more of an concern for me because the DSS and prospector limpets look essential unless you can bookmark hotspots for later. It wasn't clear to me if you still need a refinery for deep core mining or if Adam Dev magicked his Python loadout to skip from finding the hotspot to prospecting, freeing up slots in the process.

Module slots look pretty tight to me, regardless of whether the wave scan is utility. Deep space mining in Python I generally wouldn't have space for prospector limpets in the current live build and I would already have had to scout ahead, Discovery / DSS being unloadoutable luxuries for an anarchy space miner that can defend herself.

Combined controllers confirmed? Personally I hope so.

Top Bottom