News Content Recap: Beyond - Chapter Four Livestream - Mining and Squadrons

Sorry for double post, but just thinking - maybe Squadron can only be created by a player with at least 1 Elite rank...?

Ehh maybe too high at that point? I know we still want fairly medium-large PMFs (3+ systems) to be able to make their own Squadron, and they might not have hit Elite yet among themselves.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Ehh maybe too high at that point? I know we still want fairly medium-large PMFs (3+ systems) to be able to make their own Squadron, and they might not have hit Elite yet among themselves.

Who is "we" in that context?

Why should players having a PMF be relevant to Squadron creation?

Er yeah ... I've been playing what, three years and I'm not Elite anything yet!

(Soon, but bringing them up together if you get me o7)

It's also worth bearing in mind that an experienced player might wish to create a new CMDR specifically for the purpose of creating, leading and managing a Squadron. An excessive creation fee will simply be another barrier to doing that, as would a rank restriction. Although personally I think it makes some sense for a Squadron leader to be at least 3 ranks up in any of the 3 main ranks, for some reason it just feels right.

10 MCr is enough that I won't be creating and disbanding several squadrons a day just to cycle through the faction views ... and cheap enough not to be a major barrier for a group of friends who haven't gone in for major money-making schemes to get some bigger-than-a-wing in-game comms.

Seems a reasonable amount to me.

Greetings Commanders and FDev Devs,

Watched the live stream tonight and all is good, but I have one concern about Squadrons - and that's the one Squadron limit that seems implicit in the content i've seen. This strikes me as a problem as I suspect a lot of commanders are members of more than one player grouping.

For instance - say i'm a member of a Squadron. I decide to go on something like Distant Worlds 2 and they have a Squadron. I then have to resign from my first Squadron to join the Distant Worlds one. On return to the bubble i've then got to resign the second one to rejoin the first one.

Faced with having to make a choice, commanders might not want to join any Squadrons!

Would it not be better to permit a player to have multiple Squadron allegiences but only have one active at any time, with a facility to allow switching between Squadron allegiences as appropriate? If neccessary you could limit each commander to membership of 2 or 3 Squadrons - but at least this would save commanders from being forced into aligning with just one Squadron, or worst still discouraging them from never using the Squadron facility at all.

If I have misinterpreted this one-squadron limit, then apologies and I withdraw the above!

Thanks,
Cmdr Nhi Vanye i Chya.

Why would you stay attached to your "home" squadron if you're out in the black on a long-term expedition with another squadron?

Exclusivity through making Squadron creation arbitrarily expensive would only favour existing players with significant assets.

Requiring one elite rank is also seeking exclusivity through time played.

I very much doubt that Frontier would want to place these barriers to gameplay in the way of one of the significant additions to the game in Chapter 4.

.... hence the 10M Cr. initially pitched Squadron creation price.

With the number of aspects of this game that require work to unlock, why shouldn't squadrons be any different? There are plenty of ways already in-game and out-of-game for new players to interact with player groups and fly with other people.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
With the number of aspects of this game that require work to unlock, why shouldn't squadrons be any different?

Like Powerplay? One rank greater than Harmless / Penniless / Aimless required to be able to pledge to a Power....

Why *should* there be a rank barrier to creating a Squadron?

.... especially as any barrier to creation can be completely circumvented by a suitably ranked / affluent player creating a Squadron then immediately handing control over to another player....

Haha :D

It was just a suggestion. Doesn't have to be Elite, could be one of the ranks in the middle of the ladder.

I would definitely be in favor of a minimum rank requirement in addition to the starting fee. This game is touted as having lofty ranks that require significant investment of time and resources to achieve. I'd much rather join a squadron with high-rank veterans that truly know the many hidden aspects of this game than someone just joining, whether they've been a part of a clan/faction in other games or not.

Loved the Livestream. Some questions:

With CMDRs having to join one squadron at a time, is there a plan to implement a whitelist system so that CMDRs of high standing in more than one squadron freely pass from squadron to squadron with ease and without the application checks? Similarly, is there a means to blacklist untrustworthy CMDRs?

If a CMDR contributes to a weekly contest for a squadron, and then is booted from or leaves the squadron before the contest ends, is that CMDR still eligible for bobbleholotrophies if their former squadron wins a top 3 slot?

The mining tools I understand will take up a weapon hardpoint each, just like the mining laser. Will these tools be engineerable for lightness, integrity, etc.?

Loving the idea of big rocks being blown apart, and even these smaller rocks having surface and subsurface deposits as before to be picked off. However, can these smaller rock fragments also be prospected again with limpets and blasted with the mining laser?

Will mining laser activity on a rock to its depletion affect the yields of surface and subsurface deposits and also seismic charge yields?

Will we ever run out of rocks to blow up, e.g. at asteroid clusters? What is their respawn rate, if at all?

Can we blow up asteroid bases using seismic charges?

Will we see NPC miners using these tools as well, including seismic charges? Can we blow up asteroids they are digging from against their will, and them onto us too?

Any news on limpet controller racks? Could scanner suites also work the same way given all the different scanners being showcased with this patch?

Squadron Allegiance

Squadrons can align themselves with both a Faction and a Power. Choosing either of these also sets the squadrons superpower allegiance to the relevant Superpower.

Once either is set, the Squadron has access to the Squadron allegiance page and additional information is shown on the faction's homepage.

The new Squadron allegiance page features both a link to the Squadrons aligned power and greater information on their affiliated faction.

The Squadron allegiance page shows similar information to the cockpit status panel for the chosen faction. However, it shows this for every system the faction is present in.

This little bit here is enough for me to drop 10 m on making my own squadron even tho I would be the only one in it, and now being able to albeit for RP purposes align my self with the Empire.

not worried about the power bit as PP holds no interest for me, but I know who I would chose, and being able to finally feel part of that minor faction I wanted to be part of since I saw its name way back when.

Its odd as I know they are meant for player groups but over all, all I see is benefits to me myself and I in terms of enriching my game and gaming time when it comes to ED.

been playing elite dangerous on ps4 since day 1, lead a successful player group/PMF have 2 elite ranks and close to 100mil in credits. now with possible new ship purchases and outfitting I will probably eat into my 100mil budget, so for me 10mil for me to get my PMF a squadron seems a lot fairer than 100 or 200mil and have to empty my garage of ships I use.

since I joined the elite community I never understood why there is a minority of players that want barriers to everything, as far as I am concerned I grind for mats, credits, elite ranks and pp merits. I don't want to have to stop doing everything just to grind for a squadron, also I refuse to use fast credit exploits or board hopping as I find it breaks the immersion

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
been playing elite dangerous on ps4 since day 1, lead a successful player group/PMF have 2 elite ranks and close to 100mil in credits. now with possible new ship purchases and outfitting I will probably eat into my 100mil budget, so for me 10mil for me to get my PMF a squadron seems a lot fairer than 100 or 200mil and have to empty my garage of ships I use.

since I joined the elite community I never understood why there is a minority of players that want barriers to everything, as far as I am concerned I grind for mats, credits, elite ranks and pp merits. I don't want to have to stop doing everything just to grind for a squadron, also I refuse to use fast credit exploits or board hopping as I find it breaks the immersion

There is nothing exploitive about supply wing missions. They ask you to deliver 1000s of tonnes of cargo. They pay a lot (up to 50 mil Cr or so), but you need to actually put some effort into it. If you have a wing of players it's much faster.

1 missions and you can create 5 squadrons.

I think fears of too many squadron are overstated. Once a player joins a squadron the old one will be disbanded, and most people with alt accounts will want their alt to be in the same squadron or an alt squadron as their primary. Plus that's why their are filters.

Hi FDEV

I am disappointed with Squadrons, and most of my group is not impressed

It costs to create a squadron, but there is no actual benefit unique to being in the squadron (nothing that can't be replicated in DISCORD or INARA), why not have a bank even if its only materials or just credits, a mission builder specifically for the guild, something like a mini community goal for squadrons.

There are four ranks and a single position (leader) with no further ability to organise players in the game, we have 10 ranks in our group, multiple different positions and several subgroups, to be able to support this we will continue to use DISCORD and INARA and will be unlikely to use the features in Squadrons as this will just confuse our players on where to look for information and add extra burdens to leaders trying to post multiple messages for players.

We are never going to get onto the leader-boards, we won't care about them, and this appears to be purely to have us in competition against other groups. Smaller groups are worried about themselves, they want the ability to organise and play together, complete goals and mission together. So why is there no ability for Squadrons to even be able to generate their own goals and missions?

You are sending a mixed message a limit on player numbers who can join a squadron then putting up the leader-boards which are combined points from members

We wanted a Squadron system where we can help each other and bring up new players to play a game with friends and like-minded people, and we feel that there is very little apart from Squadron Name and ID that this will offer us. Where is the Squadron bank, where is the ability to bring people up with a good guild and bank manager who can ensure there is help for new players and prevent abuse funds?

We want to build alliances with other groups to be able to support and assist them as well, with one character limit to do this we either have to have the ability to join other groups, or have alliances with them.

Why don't you just delay squadrons until you have something better, that will attract people, or, this will result in it becoming a dead feature and needing no support since no one uses it.....

Last edited:
Are we able to change the Squadron's ID tags?
Has the ID to be identical? Which makes it quite hard to find a
What kind of letters are possible? Alphanumeric plus typical special characters like brackets, blanks, underline, equal sign, dots and some more?

Top Bottom