Ships What's your Fleet?

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot. I wanted to avoid the general "what's the best" and "whats your favourite" kind of question.

For those of you that have multiple ships, what do you use and why?

Currently I've got an FDL which I've kitted solely for combat/bounty hunting as, personally I think it's one of the best medium sized combat ships. I also have a python which I've got set up as a bit of a multi-role vessel to explore, gather materials and complete missions. I'm also toying with the idea of a mining ship. I'm either going to set up a T10 or something a bit more agile for the new mining. I think the dream is a federal corvette as a war ship but I'm a looooong way off the reputation.

Anyone else have a few ships that they use to do just about everything?

I just got my 17th ship the other day. Some of them I use more than others. In... roughly the order in which I got them:

Cobra Mk3 - Scuttlebug. My first "real" ship that I actually kept 'cause the freewinder doesn't really count. Used this thing so much when I was starting out, still wanna take her out but dunno what for.
Viper Mk4 - Mantis Shrimp. First dedicated combat ship. Now use its long jump range by combat ship standards to beat people up who are far away.
DBX - Grasshopper. My first dedicated explorer, bought with the proceeds of a short exploration trip in the Scuttlebug. Still use this one today. About to get even better on the 11th when that ADS slot is freed.
iCourier - Hoverfly. As soon as I got this, I stopped using the Mantis Shrimp for bounty hunting, and I still take her out when I feel the need to bother much bigger ships to death.
Python - Myrmecia. It's a python. Solid workhorse of the fleet. Fit it out for whatever it needs fitting out for and off I go.
Cutter - Monarch. My first "big ship" which I immediately fitted out for Mama Bear duty. Now used for CZs and wing support, basically doing what a tank/paladin would do.
Beluga - Bedbug. Because what else am I gonna take those VIPs out in?
Hauler - Flea. It's a bubble taxi because transferring some of these things was getting expensive.
Federal Dropship - Beehive. It has four packhound racks on it and a large beam. Bought when all the medium fed ships were discounted due to a CG.
Federal Assault Ship - Yellowjacket. Built originally as a crimeboat and used for skimmer-bombing, now skimmer missions aren't the same and I've not yet re-found a niche for it.
Federal Gunship - Bullet Ant. It has seven multicannons on it. And the fighters also have multicannons.
Asp Explorer - Honey Ant. Fuel tanks, a big scoop, and transfer limpets.
Type-9 - Dobsonfly. It's big and heavy and it smashes into windows.
Fer-de-lance - Huntsman. Dedicated bounty-hunter since it actually has the utility slots to fit a KWS, chaff, AND boosters. Hate the cockpit.
Type-10 - Bombardier. Originally used it as a miner, but have since refitted it as a torpedoboat. Because who doesn't love the idea of carrying 22 torpedoes and a few missiles in case that doesn't finish the job?
Corvette - Goliath. My main boat for taking on assassinations. (bring the original wing assassinations back fdev, they were more fun than this "an FDL and some vultures every time" stuff)
Krait Mk2 - Leafcutter. My first attempt at a thargoid-killer. Have yet to do the guardian grind so I'm kinda stuck with AX multis, but I love the ship.

In terms of use? Probably the Corvette, Python and DBX. When it comes to the ones I most like flying, that's gotta be the courier, krait and gunship. Courier 'cause I gotta go fast, Krait I'm in the honeymoon period and it still has that shiny new ship smell on account of only having got it last week, and the gunship 'cause BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

I've never actually had a DBX. I might try it at some point. I love my python but I can never decide on a propper role for it. It just does a bit of everything haha.

I'm trying to find a use for the Alliance challenger cos I really like the look of them. It's been suggested to kit one out as a miner for the new update so I might try that.

Really want a corvette, they look like fun but not sure I can stick out the faction grind haha.

According to Inara it's over 60 ships currently, several Hauler taxi, two 70+ LY DBX long range taxi, multiple combat ships from Viper 3 to Corvette, 3 Krait mk2, 2 T10s, 2 Pythons, 2 FAS, 2 FGS, 2 FDS, 2 Vultures, 2 iCourier, 2 each of the new Alliance ships, several Cobra 3 & 4s, passenger Anaconda out at Robigo for high end mats, Asp X and S, 3 Keelbacks.

When the update drops I'll be getting a Krait P or two and probably a Mamba assuming it gets properly balanced, currently playing around with outlier builds (7 x rails on a Challenger, 5 PAs on a FGS) and TBH I do prefer the medium sized ships.

Just bought a Beluga which means I've got one of each ship, well till the update drops.

Not in game right now but I think I've spent over 2 billlion in outfitting.... some I fly very rarely, some a lot.

Goose4291

Banned
Ive only really got an Adder as it meets my requirements. When I've got her setup the way I need re: engineering, I might try and mess about with an Eagle.

I do have a barebone FDS, FGS and FAS sat in a hangar somewhere that I bought at the end of that last 'no ranks required' CG.

I am currently toying with the idea of joining DW2 so I have been making some exploration ships and taking them out for test runs:
- DBX is my number one exploration ship that I take out. It is fully engineered and joy in its singular essence.
- Orca is my second exploration ship. I have a bit too big thrusters on it for some fun factor, but she still jumps around 62 LY or so. I use the Orca pretty often for exploration passenger missions.
- Corvette is my efficient PvE ship when I want to reach top 10% in some CG fast with minimal effort.
- Shield tank FAS is my "fun to fly" ship that I take out when I just want to have some BH or CZ fun flying.
- Python is my do-anything-go-anywhere ship and my main engineering vessel. I have a multipurpose pve build that is pretty good for everything.
- I take out Anaconda for combat tasks that require more jump range than Vette has and multipurpose tasks that require more capability than Python has. There are times when I only fly this ship for long periods.
- AspX I used to use for stuff like long range passenger missions that I now use Orca for. I also have used AspX for much of the engineering unlock work etc. It used to be also my main exploration vessel. My AspX is specced to be pretty fast and she has long space legs also.
- Cutter I use for trade missions and sometimes I switch the cargo racks for passenger cabins and use it as a mass passenger boat.

Ships I have, but I do not use much (currently at least):
- Imperial courier is a ship that I would love to use more, but I have not really found any use for it besides racing around the space station for a round or two and then heading back to the landing dock.
- Imperial clipper: I have tried all kinds of roles for this and will try some more. Currently I think it will also be more of an exploration vessel.
- Alliance chieftain: I am just finishing speccing it for Xeno combat. I think I will try it out for that soon.
- Cobra III: I love this ship, but I have not used it for quite some while now. It keeps on coming back to my use after long periods of slumber.
- FDL: This was my main combat ship for a long time. I used it for everything. In its current state it is not fully engineered though with the current generation engineering blueprints so I have not used it lately.
- Krait Mk II: I bought this to replace Python in combat, but found out that sacrificing one internal for fighter bay and lacking one compared to python made it inferior to python in multirole purposes so I did not end up using it for combat either. I have other ships that do better if I go for pure combat and if I go for multirole, I go for python instead.

Though I owned every ship available at one time or another. Since the release of the Challenger which I traded off my Chieftain for. I've resorted to only having these.

Three conda's all with specific purposed loadouts.
One Python for all general mission purposes.
One Challenger, loadout for pew pew only and subject to change after testing the Mamba sufficently.

Not that I dont have any imagination, but all my ships have the same exact name and ID number. Which if anyone wants to know is: "NEMO" and "LXXI". Thus regardless of what I happen to be utilizing at the time, anyone who wishs, will be able to determine who I am.

I am currently toying with the idea of joining DW2 so I have been making some exploration ships and taking them out for test runs:

Have you tried many others? Been thinking about kitting something out for exploration lately. Not sure what to do with. I know the DBX is a popular option. I been thinking about maybe the Krait Phantom. It’s got a very similar max jump range to the DBX but also has room for a cargo bay should I need to use it to haul a few things for a mission or something.

Ive only really got an Adder as it meets my requirements. When I've got her setup the way I need re: engineering, I might try and mess about with an Eagle.

I do have a barebone FDS, FGS and FAS sat in a hangar somewhere that I bought at the end of that last 'no ranks required' CG.

May I ask what you do whith that Adder?
I think it's cool when someone picks one ship and creates their own story with just that ship, an Adder however is quite limited imho so I'm quite interested in what you do with it.
A FDS would be much more versatile imho.
Respect though, I couldn't do it.

I own 27 ships atm including all the big ones and they're all engineered.
My favorites are the Vette, Python and Krait mkII.

Have you tried many others? Been thinking about kitting something out for exploration lately. Not sure what to do with. I know the DBX is a popular option. I been thinking about maybe the Krait Phantom. It’s got a very similar max jump range to the DBX but also has room for a cargo bay should I need to use it to haul a few things for a mission or something.

I did most of the testing in Coriolis to see which are potential candidates for me and then built some ships in game after that. I found out that I do not really want to take out anything that jumps less than around 55 LY.

Someone made this rather good website for some builds (only thing I really disagree with those is the PP engineering: I like low emissions myself):
https://sites.google.com/view/edexplorationships/exploration-ships

Anyhow in the running for me still are:
- DBX, AspX, Krait Mk II, Krait Phantom, Anaconda, Orca and perhaps Clipper (...), Python

It really is hard to decide the one ship that I would use for a LOOONG time when I am so used to switching them when ever the mood strikes. I am having the same feelings as you about the desire for versatility, but when doing testing I keep getting the feeling that I hate every LY I lose from jump range.

That’s the site I was using that made me lean towards the Phantom haha.

My main multirole is my python so I don’t need it to do as much as that. I just thought that havin the space for some cargo might come in handy. The AspX is an obvious one too but I spent a LOT of time in the early days in an asp so wanted something different. I like the Krait mk2 but if you’re not kitting it out with weapons then it seems pointless to go for over the Phantom as the jump range is less. Anaconda obviously a great ship for exploration but again.. if you’re gonna have all those empty slots to get the most out of the jump range it seems a bit pointless to me.

Top 3 form my head:
Anaconda - bulk cargo, passengers, mining.
Python - same as 'Conda, but for outposts.
Asp Explorer - same as Python, but less cargo, more jump range.

Top 3 from my heart:
Cobra MkIII - ship that made me to start counting millions instead of thousands of credits. I was so proud when I finally upgraded to 4A thrusters.
Diamondback Explorer - my first dedicated exploration ship. Undersized fuel scoop is a biggest flaw of that great, little ship. Personally I think it's the best looking ship in game.
Federal Dropship - poor man's Python. Weak shields, a bit slow, drifts a lot. My favourite ship.

My whole fleet.

Top Bottom