Trolled by Codex?

So, the Codex says I can find Rufus Gourd Mollusc (Reported) in HIP 98182.

So, I go there. I scan the entire system. I find 2 Notable Stellar Phenomena. I go to each.

Why do I find Metallic Crystals instead of Rufus Gourd Mollusc?

They're extremely tiny. Obsidian on stream thought there weren't any either, he was in a phenomenon with crystals, too.

Then he used his radar which indicated blips, and was finally able to lock onto one. Had to get extremely close for it to get big enough to see.

Flying around, they look like tiny rock debris you normally would not pay attention to.

Last edited:
They're extremely tiny. Obsidian on stream thought there weren't any either, he was in a phenomenon with crystals, too.

Then he used his radar which indicated blips, and was finally able to lock onto one. Had to get extremely close for it to get big enough to see.

Flying around, they look like tiny rock debris you normally would not pay attention to.

Thanks guys. After flying around the crystals for a couple of minutes, they showed up on my contact list. [up] I said 'hello', they said 'we'll fire sparks at your shields'.

Cheeky little buggers. :D

The Mollusc drained my fighter's shields.

:eek:

The Mollusc drained my fighter's shields!

:eek::mad::eek:

Humanity has an new enemy! Today, my shields! Tomorrow, it could be your shields!

BEGUN THE MOLLUSC WAR HAS!

DEFEATED THEY SHALL BE!

CMON! WHOSE WITH ME!!??!

I attempted to capture one via scooping it up, but the little so-and-so laughed and said 'think again buddy!' They can't be scooped! Clearly a danger to the bubble!

PS: Couldn't help noticing that during my scooping attempt, the UI for the scooping window represented the Mollusc as a cargo container! :p

Last edited:
The Mollusc drained my fighter's shields.

:eek:

The Mollusc drained my fighter's shields!

:eek::mad::eek:

Humanity has an new enemy! Today, my shields! Tomorrow, it could be your shields!

BEGUN THE MOLLUSC WAR HAS!

DEFEATED THEY SHALL BE!

CMON! WHOSE WITH ME!!??!

I attempted to capture one via scooping it up, but the little so-and-so laughed and said 'think again buddy!' They can't be scooped! Clearly a danger to the bubble!

PS: Couldn't help noticing that during my scooping attempt, the UI for the scooping window represented the Mollusc as a cargo container! :p

Interesting. I wonder if a limpet would grab it?

You think you've been trolled - I'm sitting on an undiscovered biologic that's not in the CODEX, and I can't for the life of me "Report" it. Is this bugged, or am I doing something wrong??? It's only a matter of time before I lose this discovery to someone else. How on earth does this work???????

AHHHH!!!!!!! :eek:

Just checking on the off chance - have you scanned it with the Composition Scanner? (If that's what it's called now, I haven't used it since early in the beta when it was called something different.)

Last edited:
Just checking on the off chance - have you scanned it with the Composition Scanner? (If that's what it's called now, I haven't used it since early in the beta when it was called something different.)

Sure did, about a trillion times LOL, just in case. The only thing I have not done is go back a station and cash in my exploration data.

Last edited:
You think you've been trolled - I'm sitting on an undiscovered biologic that's not in the CODEX, and I can't for the life of me "Report" it. Is this bugged, or am I doing something wrong??? It's only a matter of time before I lose this discovery to someone else. How on earth does this work???????

Oh really? I see your Troll and I'll raise it with a Troll/Bug. :p

Try entering one of the fancy new clouds on Xbox.

When you drop out of suoercruise, the game crashes so hard, it turns off the console.

When you attempt to reload the game, it gets to the 'spinning ship while loading' bit, then it turns off the console.

The only way around it is to use a different mode compared to the one you were in when attempting to enter the cloud, so I was in Solo - I had to go into Open just to load the game. Hopefully this bug (already reported) will be fixed before DW2.

Last edited:
Try entering one of the fancy new clouds on Xbox.

When you drop out of suoercruise, the game crashes so hard, it turns off the console.

When you attempt to reload the game, it gets to the 'spinning ship while loading' bit, then it turns off the console..

PS4 has this bug, too, though I seem to be one of the very lucky few not to suffer it.

Interesting. I wonder if a limpet would grab it?

It would be interesting if that worked.

Given the effect the Mollusc had on my shields (and power systems), you could perhaps disrupt a station if you delivered enough Molluscs, and you could sell them. I doubt every much if FD would allow this.

Deleted member 38366

D

1) assign "Composition Scanner" to a Fire Group
2) select proper Fire Group
3) ensure Ship (or SRV) is in "Analysis Mode" HUD
4) approach Object to within approx. 250m or less and manually point the Composition Scanner to the Object's "scan hitbox" (that can be a bit tricky, that's often a rather tiny area)
5) as soon as the Blue Icon turns into bright cyan (HUD Indication changes from "Nothing Found" to something else), it found something and is ready to scan
6) Press&Hold Fire button of Composition Scanner until it completes
7) enjoy your new Codex entry

In an SRV, the Turret must most likely be used, since the Composition Scanner requires the boresight line of the SRV to point directly at the Object.
In most terrain, that's a tad difficult to achieve quickly while in normal Driving Mode; Turret mode is much easier for Composition Scan in most cases.
(as with the Ship, the SRV needs the Composition Scanner to be setup into a Fire Group as well, i.e. couple it with the Data Link Scanner for ease of purpose)

Last edited by a moderator:
1) assign "Composition Scanner" to a Fire Group
2) select proper Fire Group
3) ensure Ship (or SRV) is in "Analysis Mode" HUD
4) approach Object to within approx. 250m or less and manually point the Composition Scanner to the Object's "scan hitbox" (that can be a bit tricky, that's often a rather tiny area)
5) as soon as the Blue Icon turns into bright cyan (HUD Indication changes from "Nothing Found" to something else), it found something and is ready to scan
6) Press&Hold Fire button of Composition Scanner until it completes
7) enjoy your new Codex entry

In an SRV, the Turret must most likely be used, since the Composition Scanner requires the boresight line of the SRV to point directly at the Object.
In most terrain, that's a tad difficult to achieve quickly while in normal Driving Mode; Turret mode is much easier for Composition Scan in most cases.
(as with the Ship, the SRV needs the Composition Scanner to be setup into a Fire Group as well, i.e. couple it with the Data Link Scanner for ease of purpose)

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way for undiscovered items. I found out you need to go to a station and turn in Codex discoveries to some bloke in the Contacts section. I did that, got me some credits, but still don't have my unique, never-found-before item in the Codex. I'm wondering if the Codex is tied to server ticks.... I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Deleted member 38366

D
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way for undiscovered items. I found out you need to go to a station and turn in Codex discoveries to some bloke in the Contacts section. I did that, got me some credits, but still don't have my unique, never-found-before item in the Codex. I'm wondering if the Codex is tied to server ticks.... I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

It works for all items, at least it should.

And its entry is instantaneous , no need to sell UC or Codex Data. The second your Composition Scanner completes its work - you're in the Codex.

I have a Codex "1st Discovery" and it worked exactly as I described. I found my name in the Codex right after I completed the Composition Scan.

But if for whatever reason it doesn't work for you, I'd recommend to file a Bug Report.

Last edited by a moderator:
It works for all items, at least it should.

And its entry is instantaneous , no need to sell UC or Codex Data. The second your Composition Scanner completes its work - you're in the Codex.

I have a Codex "1st Discovery" and it worked exactly as I described. I found my name in the Codex right after I completed the Composition Scan.

But if for whatever reason it doesn't work for you, I'd recommend to file a Bug Report.

Oh I did, way back when I first started having trouble. Understand that I'm not arguing with you directly, because I'm frankly clueless about this whole process, but "top men (and women)" on Twitter contradict your statement. Ironically neither way is working for me, so who knows? Let me ask you this - what's the point of having a place in stations to turn in new Codex Discoveries if that process is supposed to be automatic?

Top Bottom