I understand why, but teen rating is a shame.

E : D is the only game I play anymore, having lost interest in gaming in general. It has, however, led me to purchase a VR headset and that, in turn, has made me look at games again to justify having that headset. All that said, with every game I see where blood gets splattered everywhere? Just another turn-off and disincentive for me to try anything else. Same goes for the swearing. I play this to escape and de-stress. Last thing I need is something that brings the "real world" back into it.

Dos centavos...

Or blown up/burnt bodies flying out of a defeated ship. Do the NPCs we blow up even actually die?

Only the SLF pilots, actual pilots have escape pods. The only way to rack up an actual kill count is to go after ships with SLF hangars in CZs; "murder" in this game is actually "property damage".

In a game set a thousand years from now, I wouldn’t really expect to see anachronistic swearing, much like I wouldn’t expect to hear, “sard away and kiss my yard” these days or someone using Shakespearean insults, sasa ke?

When the “f” word popped up in the recent Star Trek Discovery, I thought they missed a trick by not having one of the characters saying, “oh, I didn’t know you studied ancient history” or something of the like.

Is it possible that in thousand years, not only is english the only spoken language inexplicably unchanged for all this time with the exception of swearwords?

I like that I am not bombarded by unnecessary swearing, but I think some of the "fantastic" words used in different sci-fi media can be fun.

There could be a system to, depending on faction and location, randomly generate a word to be said by the NPCs (hopefully not a word actually in use somewhere and obviously only in text messages).

Is it possible that in thousand years, not only is english the only spoken language inexplicably unchanged for all this time with the exception of swearwords?

I like that I am not bombarded by unnecessary swearing, but I think some of the "fantastic" words used in different sci-fi media can be fun.

There could be a system to, depending on faction and location, randomly generate a word to be said by the NPCs (hopefully not a word actually in use somewhere and obviously only in text messages).
I’m sure if I had a Philip J. Fry moment I’d struggle to understand the future folk of the 31st century :)

How sci-fi deals with swearing can be interesting, I think Firefly is probably my favourite example with its Mandarin curses, I couldn’t understand what they were saying but I got the intent behind it!

If we are to have naughty-swears-for-grown-ups in the game, then my vote is to go full Douglas Adams and use the rudest word in the Universe.

What the Belgium do you think of that?

I just think the rating limits the content is all.

So much this. And it isn't limited to just Elite either. I've seen the ratings limit other games that are cleary aimed at a more mature audience. But the developers decided that they need the extra revenue. So they try to limit the content to make it more "available" for younger consumers allowing for additional profits.

Thing is, when you censor words, you kinda make them 'cool' for kids. Should those words be general, then their 'danger' is removed. It is the same with the N word. Black dudes sussed that out long ago, which is why they call themselves it all the time. Its power is removed. Essentially cussing is just language, the perception is applied by the listener. Complete with their own set of moralities and interpretations. Which they've learnt or inherited through whatever life experience they've had or had been indoctrinated with. I, personally, take no offence to any word; as I understand that to take offence empowers the word and those who use it. I'm, a contrary person. Annoying as hell, as I could not give two hoots. I know myself and I know the world for what it is. I also know I am utterly fabulous.

The PG rating is about as relevant today as a floppy disc. It's an archaic useless left over from a bygone age of bigotry and feigned morality. An anachronism, it may as well be Fahrenheit 451 esque. I would rather carry an 18 rating than bow to some pompous perceived idea of civility. Yeah?, do one.

Sure, moronic noob comments ain't my cup of tea, especially when a well crafted insult flies over their heads. But to forbid avenues for kids/adults to vent their angst, fo me just smacks of some elitist nonsense. Whereby someone thinks they are better than someone, just because they believe they are more literate. That too is nonsense. I swear and turn the air 'blue'. My wife is from Nottingham where the C word is used as a form of endearment. I love swearing. Sometimes a good cussing, just fits the occasion or event. Sure, sometimes it's inappropriate. But we all need to learn the right and wrong times and sometimes we err. In short, we learn.

The above is before I start mentioning class. The PG is just the middle class idea of keeping the working class quiet. Well, 'insert letter after E' you pal. Plus a few other colloquialisms and emotives.

Shakespeare is full of filth and sauciness. Sometimes its like Derek and Clive in hoes.

If a word offends you, then look into yourself and ask why are you offended. Could it be that your offence is a consequence of societal indoctrination? If so, then tell the c to fo.

Up The Workers!

If a word offends you, then look into yourself and ask why are you offended. Could it be that your offence is a consequence of societal indoctrination?

Funny, this thread seems to for people offended by the lack of words. What a terrible game ED is because our NPC doesn't swear and we don't see blood splatter on the windshield when our shields go down. [wacko]

ps - what if I want an NPC that shouts "Praise Jesus!" when I win a battle? You won't be offended, right?

Last edited:
What exactly you think the game is "missing" under their PG rating.
We have booze, drugs, senseless murder, human traficking,...

Do you want splashes of blood and flying intestines as your canopy is breached, of just papparazzis catching Aisling in a bath?

That is precisely what I want! The next time I send plasma through the face of a ganker I legit want to see it melt!

Well, frak that felgercarb, I say. Pass me a cigar.

Funny, this thread seems to for people offended by the lack of words. What a terrible game ED is because our NPC doesn't swear and we don't see blood splatter on the windshield when our shields go down. [wacko]

ps - what if I want an NPC that shouts "Praise Jesus!" when I win a battle? You won't be offended, right?

There are in fact many theocracies in the game as well, the NPCs should make appropriate randomly generated praises or prayers, although I see the later outnumber the former.

Last edited:
Top Bottom