Spacelegs is a pipe dream.

You’re not really planning on it, are you, FD? You’ve built no assets for it. There is no consistency in ship builds to suggest they were built with that in mind. Behind the doorways, there’s just an empty hull with the exception of things we can all see, like the SRV and SLF bays, and hardpoints. On the Hauler you even have the landing gear clipping through the cockpit, near the doorway. The stairways into the ships end up in different places. In the cobra 4, it leads directly to the srv bay. In others, it leads part way up or down or whatever, because there’s clearly no defined plan. I thought this was part of the Kickstarter.... pray tell, will we ever even walk around inside our ships? It doesn’t look like it to me: [video=youtube_share;2m2zBCEyxv0]https://youtu.be/2m2zBCEyxv0[/video]
Edit: Thanks, DNA-Decay, for linking this vid of Nebohtes. It shows precisely the sort of thing I had imagined they’d be going for with ship designs, but from the looks of it, no such plans were ever carried through, no such foundations were ever created. The ships look as though they were never designed for the future implementation of space legs.
[video=youtube_share;Fyh7LETQ4w4]https://youtu.be/Fyh7LETQ4w4[/video]
From the Kickstarter: [video=youtube_share;EM0Gcl7iUM8]https://youtu.be/EM0Gcl7iUM8[/video] Go to 2:45 and watch from there plz.
Now a look at the sidewinder, the Adder and the Dolphin: [video=youtube_share;6zl1oSjHsds]https://youtu.be/6zl1oSjHsds[/video]
If you will notice, the SRV bay (which is not technically installed into the vanilla SRV anyway) is too large for the sidewinder and clips into the cockpit.

Last edited:
Well if they would have the ship models for space legs ready and put them in game for us to see, wouldn't that be like a space legs announcement?

So if they are really working on it they would probably remove these parts from the models for the live version.

Well if they would have the ship models for space legs ready and put them in game for us to see, wouldn't that be like a space legs announcement?

So if they are really working on it they would probably remove these parts from the models for the live version.

No. They’d keep them so that people would keep their hopes up, sorta like the cockpits. If they had them they’d be there.

Unpopular opinion,I dont want space legs,I want to walk inside my ship.Why I dont walk on planets and stations? This game engine and fdev doesnt have the money,talent or skill to make it,nobody has that except the star citizen money pit.Better for them to improve the "space" game furthe instead of building imposible space legs content.

No. They’d keep them so that people would keep their hopes up, sorta like the cockpits. If they had them they’d be there.

Not necessarily. While I think that space legs is a long way away (years) if it does come at all. All these issues you see are fixable.

It's one of the reasons why I expect atmospheric planets 9f down description as the next payable expansion.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small team working on the innards of the ships and other places, but they will not be ingame yet. No point in adding them until they are needed.

You’re not really planning on it, are you, FD? You’ve built no assets for it. There is no consistency in ship builds to suggest they were built with that in mind. Behind the doorways, there’s just an empty hull with the exception of things we can all see, like the SRV and SLF bays, and hardpoints. On the Hauler you even have the landing gear clipping through the cockpit, near the doorway. The stairways into the ships end up in different places. In the cobra 4, it leads directly to the srv bay. In others, it leads part way up or down or whatever, because there’s clearly no defined plan. I thought this was part of the Kickstarter.... pray tell, will we ever even walk around inside our ships? It doesn’t look like it to me:

Nice a reverse psychology thread to out Frontiers plans for legs.

5/7

X4 has sort of space legs, and it shows what clearly is missing in Elite
to make it a part of gameplay, rather than just a update
with nearly no added value:

NPC ai coding
Management of ships
allowing NPCs to autopilot
EVA with fitting scenarios
Something to do planetside
Something to do in stations
Real salvage and ship boarding

This all works in a singleplayer game,
but i don't think it will fit Elite or add anything to the game.

Nice a reverse psychology thread to out Frontiers plans for legs.

5/7

Just an honest impression. I’m not a YouTuber looking for a wall of viewers. I’m just a player with a VR headset that saw something and shared an opinion. Love the game and I’d love to really walk around and suspend disbelief by being in my spaceship, but this sorta got me thinking some of that isn’t really planned to ever happen.

Not saying you aren't right but going behind the cockpit doors in VR is old news and proves nothing either way.

Just an honest impression. I’m not a YouTuber looking for a wall of viewers. I’m just a player with a VR headset that saw something and shared an opinion. Love the game and I’d love to really walk around and suspend disbelief by being in my spaceship, but this sorta got me thinking some of that isn’t really planned to ever happen.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they only ever make it so you can walk around the cockpit and perhaps a basic living cabin, To expect them to design 30+ unique ship internal spaces is asking to be disappointed.

Same goes for station internals and outposts.

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/Fyh7LETQ4w4
[video=youtube_share;Fyh7LETQ4w4]https://youtu.be/Fyh7LETQ4w4[/video]

Skip in about 2 minutes. The first bit is a menu layout mock-up.
But the last part is a thoughtful 3D walkthrough of a potential internal layout for a Cobra iii.
It demonstrates some of the problems that Frontier will have to face and some possible solutions.
Ten year plan.
Space Legs is not impossible. But I don’t feel like it’s coming soon.

Last edited:
I would love space legs one day. It was part of the Kickstarter tease and one of the hooks used to encourage people to buy into the LTP..... However that said there are many more things missing from the game which I believe to be a far higher priority (that I expected to be in right now). IF space legs came now pound to a penny it would be human players only with no NPC's. FD have a lot of work to do imo before they should even consider huge undertakings like legs. I really hope FD have decided that releasing half baked half finished content with a view to maybe revising in the future creates more issues than it is worth and so it will be fully fleshed out stuff going forward. If that means no legs for a few extra years then so be it imo

I would love FD to 'do' Space Legs, I would love it to be as seamless as to what is offered in that other space game/Alpha test. To be able to move freely about the ships, sections of the stations/installations, EVA in space, moving around on the planet surfaces etc. But in all honesty, after 5 years of being a part of this game, from the KS, to Alpha/Beta and so on I have not seen any inclination, within the game world or FD themselves, that this is on the cards.

Sure, it's been mentioned in streams and elsewhere that it would be great to do, but I suspect that is exactly that, a wish, not specifically an intent.

What I hope for, and do see inklings of some indication, is for the improvements and fleshing out of other aspects to the game world. For me, getting NPC crew truly implemented in to the ships is a no brainer, but mostly, what I really want, is to be able to do this....

[video=youtube_share;8EtnyKXacF0]https://youtu.be/8EtnyKXacF0[/video]

But, that's a whole different thread :)

Last edited:

Sorry but that doesn't make much sense to me.

I am not saying that they have all ship models ready for walking around, but if they do they would never put them in game unless they want to release it. They accidentally put the mission pack videos in the beta and deleted them immediately.

Last edited:
Sorry but that doesn't make much sense to me.

I am not saying that they have all ship models ready for walking around, but if they do they would never put them in game unless they want to release it. They accidentally put the mission pack videos in the beta and deleted them immediately.

Indeed so far as I remember they never put the srv bay doors into the game/ships until the srvs were ready to go and same with the fighters.

https://youtu.be/Fyh7LETQ4w4

Skip in about 2 minutes. The first bit is a menu layout mock-up.
But the last part is a thoughtful 3D walkthrough of a potential internal layout for a Cobra iii.
It demonstrates some of the problems that Frontier will have to face and some possible solutions.
Ten year plan.
Space Legs is not impossible. But I don’t feel like it’s coming soon.

That vid looks cool. think it is fair to say at the start FD did consider future utility in their designs (yes the cobra 3 has issues but not insurmountable with minor retcon) however the longer the game has gone on I believe the less and less they have worried about it.
Cobra, sidewinder and anaconda (hull mass not withstanding) I am not surprised work ok.... But the cobra IV for instance has far more storage but external dimensions are largely the same. I think now the ships are designed to look cool and the internal bays I think are just added by spreadsheet for what FD want in the game rather than fitting the design of the ship. I hope I am wrong.

The larger ships in theory should be easy to spec internally

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they only ever make it so you can walk around the cockpit and perhaps a basic living cabin, To expect them to design 30+ unique ship internal spaces is asking to be disappointed.

Same goes for station internals and outposts.

I would be surprised when they explicitly said they wouldn't do this.

Last edited:
hyperspace is a loading screen as is the transition from supercruise to planetary landing.

For transition between SC and planets it's more like an instancing screen. The game doesn't load any assets and if you have a good connection to the server the transition is almost instant.

Top Bottom