Has anyone found Thargoid Probes after Chapter Four went live?

With the new change in the NHSS spawning system, I have failed to find a single piece of Thargoid Probe using the old method (cruising around Ammonia Worlds within it's sphere of influence in the Pleiades sector) and the new method (jump to a system, use FSS to discover all the NHSS and then drop in each one). So far I've spent more than 6 hours doing the same thing in different systems, some being inhabited, some not. But:

1. I have yet to find a threat level 2 NHSS (which usually contains 1 probe and nothing else)

2. I have tried all the level 5-8 threat level NHSS, only to find lots of scouts+interceptors, or interceptor+other cargo such as meta alloy, military armour, etc)

The question is, has anything changed significantly in the game related to probe-hunting? Has anyone found a single piece of Thargoid probe since the update went live?

Before the update Threat 0 contained TP (before that they were in Threat 2).

Now it will probably be necessary to dive into NHSS5 to pray to RNGesus. They do occasionally appear as wrecked megaship cargo, but not often enough to recommend.

The lack of NHSS0 was raised during the beta, and FDev appear to have ignored it ...

Not tried in 3.4 yet, but in 3.3 and previous, you could jump into an NHSS 5 in the pleiades with a chance of finding a flower ship about to scoop up probes/scanners/escape pods/meta alloys, and using piloting skill and a fast ship you could scoop the probes before the flower ship did.

You could use a slow ship for this, but that just got you to the rebuy screen as the flower ship got annoyed at you stealing its stuff.... :D

Bill

Agreed. I can't find it at all. Same with the UA. No threat 2s. Lowest I've found is threat 3s. I guess thargoids don't need probes anymore?

what has happened to all the players posting stuff thats new in this game, its all very quiet on here, is there a new section in the forum that i've missed or something.

I can't believe no one has found anything thats note worthy other than the space Molluscs and cloud formations, no new thargoid sites found?

I tried for an hour and a half last night and was unable to find one. That doesn't mean they're not there, but it's a data point.

Reporting back: I ended up trying hours last night and couldn't find any. Today I logged in, dropped on the first NHSS near the station (not near an ammonia world) and it was an interceptor with a probe.

I remember seeing posts earlier where a cmdr claimed it's easier to close the game and log back in (completely close the game, not going back to the main menu).

I can't prove if that's true or not.

Military couriers vessels (special cutters, corvettes and condas found in supercruise in War state systems) still carry probes and sensors after the q4 update. Managed to snag a few just last night.

Can confirm that I have exactly the same issues as OP.
I've been looking for probes for almost three days now to get started with the Guardian Structures mission, but after searching around Ammonia worlds in the Pleiades, not a single NHSS2 has appeared yet after 3.4 was released :( Also looked in the other 5,6,7,8 NHSS's, but the closest I got was finding a few sensors! I am fully aware that the probes are rare and can be hard to find, but I usually found them within a few hours at most before. After searching almost a day in the Pleiades Sector IR-W d1-55 6 and Pleiades sector RO-Q B5-0 (the most common systems to find probes according to Canonn), I've had no luck finding a single one after the 3.4 release. I can accept searching a few hours or so, but when it takes several days to find a single item you need for a mission (to fulfill the mission bonus), there has to be something wrong as this wasn't an issue pre 3.4 release. VERY FRUSTRATING!!

Last edited:
Can confirm that I have exactly the same issues as OP.
I've been looking for probes for almost three days now to get started with the Guardian Structures mission, but after searching around Ammonia worlds in the Pleiades, not a single NHSS2 has appeared yet after 3.4 was released :( Also looked in the other 5,6,7,8 NHSS's, but the closest I got was finding a few sensors! I am fully aware that the probes are rare and can be hard to find, but I usually found them within a few hours at most before. After searching almost a day in the Pleiades Sector IR-W d1-55 6 and Pleiades sector RO-Q B5-0 (the most common systems to find probes according to Canonn), I've had no luck finding a single one after the 3.4 release. I can accept searching a few hours or so, but when it takes several days to find a single item you need for a mission (to fulfill the mission bonus), there has to be something wrong as this wasn't an issue pre 3.4 release. VERY FRUSTRATING!!

Again - they don't even spawn recently in NHSS2, they spawn in NHSS0 (though those too have vanished). https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/463459-Delphi-6-is-not-spawning-any-USS-again

They are pretty common still in NHSS5 in the Pleiades. Or from transports, or sometimes in wrecked megaship cargo bays.

After two days dropping at every NHSS 5+ and not finding any Thargoid Probes, I finally got mine from a megaship cargo bay (that science vessel in Delphi).

I can somewhat confirm the bug report pointed out by Factabulous - I spent some hours camping near Delphi 6 waiting for a NHSS0 to spawn, to no avail. So, for now, I suggest going for a manifest scanner, some hatch breaker limpets, and giving it a few tries. The spawn rates seem to be better.

Last edited:
After two days dropping at every NHSS 5+ and not finding any Thargoid Probes, I finally got mine from a megaship cargo bay (that science vessel in Delphi).

I can somewhat confirm the bug report pointed out by Factabulous - I spent some hours camping near Delphi 6 waiting for a NHSS0 to spawn, to no avail. So, for now, I suggest going for a manifest scanner, some hatch breaker limpets, and giving it a few tries. The spawn rates seem to be better.

Good to know - they used to be quite common from Science vessels, but I have seen less recently - so almost didn't suggest it :)

Just adding another data point.

I spent a couple of hours looking for a Thargoid Probe last Thursday and boy are those things difficult to find.
I did aprox. 25 board flips each for both the attacked Science Vessel and Bulk Cargo Ship megaships in Delphi and only found Thardgoid Sensors tucked away in the cargo holds. Then I spent two hours or so hunting threat 5 NHSS and found a single Thargoid Sensor in a couple of those, mostly just Cyclops, and a few with Scouts and then one single instance with a Cyclops and a Probe, which the Interceptor picked up before I could.

Last edited:
Just to say I went to 2 NHSS threat 5's and found a sensor in one and a probe in the other. These were in HIP 17862 after discovering none at the crashed Thargoid ship caused me to check for NHSS through the FSS. So threat 5's seem to be the way now.

I find quite a lot in Delphi. Just go to NHSS 5, check your contacts and eventually you will find Thargoid probe just floating in outer space. Be quick enough to scoop it and then run away from the Thargoid ship.

Deciat has a ruined Lowel class science megaship that has chance to spawn Probes if you hatchbreak it's cargo holds.

Other previously attacked systems around the bubble and pleiades may also have these type of wrecked ship POIs.

I don;t know if other varieties of attacked megaship have them, but i have successfully gotten probes at two Science ship locations - in Deciat, and from another out at Outotz SU-W b57-0 .

Last edited:
what has happened to all the players posting stuff thats new in this game, its all very quiet on here, is there a new section in the forum that i've missed or something.

I can't believe no one has found anything thats note worthy other than the space Molluscs and cloud formations, no new thargoid sites found?

there is nothing new except wallpaper phenomenas another mining, eploring is now a minigame

Deciat has a ruined Lowel class science megaship that has chance to spawn Probes if you hatchbreak it's cargo holds.

Other previously attacked systems around the bubble and pleiades may also have these type of wrecked ship POIs.

I don;t know if other varieties of attacked megaship have them, but i have successfully gotten probes at two Science ship locations - in Deciat, and from another out at Outotz SU-W b57-0 .

Yes but to explore what? If we just have chances to find the same 10 possible objects on all planets in the galaxy ...

Top Bottom