Hey FDev 3 Words For Ya: [VIDEO]REBEL GALAXY OUTLAW[VIDEO]

Period. :)

[video=youtube;nfQetVBJrQI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfQetVBJrQI[/video]

THIS is what I meant when I keep whining about ED needing space legs. IGN did an excellent preview of this space ship flight sim/RPG opera. Rebel Galaxy will be out in spring of this year and from the look of the game play, it's going to hit the void at full SC

For the skeptics & unbelievers for why we need space legs in ED: Checkout how the space station menu are represented in 3D spaces by arrangement and containment behind specific loading screens. Notice how seamlessly the space leg feature is integrated into the game play?

Adding space station interiors like a fully interactive 3D bar with NPCs, fully interactive 3D shipyard with interactive NPCs etc etc. (vs. the current static 2D menus we have in ED in the 2D space station menu) would open so many emergent routes of game play.

When you first get out your ship at a station. Quick loading screen puts you at typical station entrance below. Notice quite a few of these station services are same as ED (i.e. commodities, shipyard, mission board. There are also quite a few areas unique to a given station that you can also explore (analogy here is certain ED stations have blackmarkets etc). Selecting from the menu options below create a loading screen that teleport you into that space station area:

1.jpg

Mission board could be broken into two exiting ED sub menus i.e the crew and passenger lounge. There are other new much needed services like the bar and equipment bay. Equipment bay should have a computer terminal that let's you access real time database site like EDDB. For the love of God, WHY DON'T WE HAVE A FEATURE LIKE THIS IN THE GAME? I shouldn't have to pause the game to check the web for highly efficient data like this. Very much desirable features like a player's Merchant & Mercenary guild These player guilds would be all PG groups a player has on their friends list where players could group up/wing up in PG mode. (provided you select the Player Group mode option upon login and not Solo):

2.jpg

The space station area below is the bar. This station service would work best giving player the 3D representation of central ED lore elements like Power Play. Or providing the Commander with real time gossip/rumor and news of potential PvP i.e. via bounty hunting real players and NPCs in a given space sector. For example bounty hunting real ED gankers would never be so immersive based on all the info you can get from the barkeep below:

Here player selects the "visit the bar" option to enter the station bar. Has several options to hangout in the bar as well:

3.jpg

Meeting the barkeep NPC and asking them about bounties adds a rumor in form of potential mission to player's mission menu:

5.jpg

Please FDev. PLEASE. Please consider adding some form of an update with this degree of interaction with space station interiors in future. Provide an immersive, 3D alternative to interacting with the game besides the existing static 2D station menus. Because. If you forget, I'll keep whining, complaining and spamming the suggestions forum---until I drive you mad! :p Oh how my paraplegic hemorrhoids are killing me..... >,<

Last edited:
Funny thing is there's no spacelegs in RGO either, actually. Just nice pre-scripted scenes synced to player's interactions with a 2D menu! Hence ED's holographic projected menus are more diegetic than RGO's.

Oh I'm hyped for the game already, but I must admit I'm disappointed landings are fade-to-black, loading, automated cinematic sequence.

And don't get me wrong: I too want to get out of my seat and would love to interact in new ways (as long as all the mundane tasks will still be available through the 'archaic' 2D interface, I don't want the SC syndrome in my ED)

Last edited:
That was exactly my point. I should've put space legs as "space legs". Because the existing ED game design clearly makes any EVA outside space stations extremely challenging. So giving the player genuine animations (in 1st person) the way Space Engineer/No Man's Sky/Subnautica/Star Citizen do is probably not going to be feasible.

HOWEVER

giving players the illusion of space legs the way RGO does --and pulls this off very skillfully without being immersion breaking-- is definitely something they could explore. Particularly if they can implement it the way Bethesda does by creating different designed cells that represent different space station interiors. This would isolate the new space station interior update from the existing external game world. The only data transfer between the two would be any updates the player makes to changes in their ships, ship load out, inventory in form of commodities/mission delivery items, and/or types of missions acquired inside the station (as shown in the RGO demo). So if you exited your ship without consulting the station services menu, any missions you accept would be updated once you return to your ship. Because they're basically
the same as the existing ones you get from being a paraplegic in your ship.

An exception to this could be the rumors and bounty hunting tips you get from NPCs like the bartender. Visiting the barkeep is more likely to get you the highest paying and/or more challenging bounties. Heck, they could install a charm skill mini game (similar to the way it worked in TES Oblivion). Where if you succeeded at the speech mini game, you would've charmed the NPC enough where they give you unique tips on finding exotic items or NPC bosses/wanted PvP players. So you could end up getting a tip on where dark anchors are rumored to be in the next couple of solar systems from the bubble. Or where that nefarious PvP ganker/pirate NPC boss & their scum villain buccaneers with that 1M credit bounty might be hiding out.

Speech options for failure: if you failed at the mini game (or suck at it) try bribery with credits. And for full immersion, make the NPCs react favorably (or not) to the clothing you wear. If you wear your everyday space suit into the station, NPCs may be put off by the inability to see your face. Or possible fact your Holo Me stinks from being out in space so long with no change of clothing. Being able to change your clothing (either on the ship or in a player rented room inside station) could make a big difference how NPCs responded to you. All that body odor in form of out gassing can really ruin a Commander's space suit--and NPC olefactory senses tbh. :p

Anyways, I suspect ED will be taking a back seat with potential GOTYs the likes CP 2077, RGO and The Outer Worlds coming out this year. And since these are offline single player games, odds are they're also going to be mod friendly. In which case my Holo Me Commander will be likely going AWOL from the ED universe for quite a long while :D

Anyways, I suspect ED will be taking a back seat with potential GOTYs the likes CP 2077, RGO and The Outer Worlds coming out this year. And since these are offline single player games, odds are they're also going to be mod friendly. In which case my Holo Me Commander will be likely going AWOL from the ED universe for quite a long while :D

With all three of those games coming to console, I can tell you that unless Frontier pulls a rabbit out of their hat, ED will definitely be tucked away on an external storage device once these games go live. Heck, it's already taken a back seat to other games that aren't even in the genre, thanks to all the bugs in 3.3. Give me an alternative space game to play (NMS isn't it), and it's Hasta la vista, baby!

That said, ED has spoiled me with 6DoF, so I hope the flight mechanics in RGO and TOW aren't too arcade-like.

Last edited:
With all three of those games coming to console, I can tell you that unless Frontier pulls a rabbit out of their hat, ED will definitely be tucked away on an external storage device once these games go live. Heck, it's already taken a back seat to other games that aren't even in the genre, thanks to all the bugs in 3.3. Give me an alternative space game to play (NMS isn't it), and it's Hasta la vista, baby!

That said, ED has spoiled me with 6DoF, so I hope the flight mechanics in RGO and TOW aren't too arcade-like.

Yeah. Same here. RGO does flirt heavily with the cartoonish goofy - aracade gamey side in its combat tactics. Hope that automatic lock on feature the IGN reviewer described isn't too Newtonian Physics breaking. lol.

Anyhow, I'm starting to suspect the gold rush that stared back at Christmas last year had another ulterior strategic purpose besides upgrading ships for DW2: reclaim the player base

Reboot the fan base (wonder how much fan base fallout over the 2017 CG event where the NPC Salome was assassinated hurt player numbers?). Basically resurrect the sagging/weak lore and PvE/RPG element that has been suffering due to the grindy nature of the game. Adding rags to riches resources like the multi million credit void opals & other precious metals/minerals. In essence, the gold rush created a huge chunk of bored mega millionaire space faring fly boys. Over a very short period of time. Which logically led to more than a few "FDev we're drowning in too much money" or "it's too easy to acquire/buy ships nerf this commodity/money making feature" etc. lol.

I'm a PC gamer (and also play on XBX1). But mostly PC. I can positively confirm that before FDev announced the gold rush that was coming with DW2 release, player participation in ED was at an all time low on Steam. Can't speak for other distribution sites ED might be released on like GOG. Wish I knew what the fan base numbers were for XBX1 or PS4.

btw": Steam carries a significant percentage of ED players for the PC platform. And ED was trending in the bottom 3rd of Steam's Top 100 before the gold rush and DW2 were announced late Dec. This boosted ED back into the mid 50% of the Top 100 where it sits to date. So they clearly achieved their goal of recalling their original fan base as well as new players like myself. lol.

Top Bottom