News New stream series: Frontier Xtra

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
How to get started in gaming industry? Assume I want to take part in or even start a new project. What are the first steps to consider and how do I build a decent plan?

That's an excellent question, and the whole point of the Question of the Month idea :) we'd love to share some of our expertise with you!

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
It sounds good on the surface but this dog and pony show includes all of Frontier's games. The question of the month could be about dinos pr coasters. I'll try and not be too salty until i see the goods though, maybe it will have enough information to keep everyone happy amoung all the game FD does.

Let hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
Caliber

The point of the Question of the Month is more about the industry, or us or the team(s)! It's a bit more podcast-y, or was intended to be. Each game will also have a dedicated section during which we try to answer the game-specific questions, but correct, it's not a newscast, and there won't be any new feature/roadmap reveals for any of the games.

We will be doing these streams every last Friday of the month, with the first one being on 22 February at 15:00 UTC. Please come and join us over on our Twitch channel - we'd love to have you in the chat!

That is awesome! Finally Apac can participate! It's still a bit late for a "school night" (an hour or two earlier would be better), but manageable.

The point of the Question of the Month is more about the industry, or us or the team(s)! It's a bit more podcast-y, or was intended to be. Each game will also have a dedicated section during which we try to answer the game-specific questions, but correct, it's not a newscast, and there won't be any new feature/roadmap reveals for any of the games.

And when will you decide to make an announcement?
March 7? On PAX-east? In 2021? In the year 2121?
Is it possible for the community as a whole, and I, among other things, are asking for something of the utterly impossible?

Not stronger than you "rose-colored glasses."
If you have proofs (real proofs and not a copy of the words of the FD, then please submit them), if not, then why are you trying to troll me, battle fanboy?
So what you are saying is unless someone provides YOU with proof of something, your default position is they are lying.

Good to know.

The point of the Question of the Month is more about the industry, or us or the team(s)!

Coolness. If it's about Frontier, can you tell us about your DevOps processes?

Specifically around how bugs from past versions seem to creep into releases. But like what project management tool do you like/use; dev/QA methodologies SCRUM vs CMMI etc; do you use CI?
I'm quite interested in how a gaming company's devops functions vs enterprise.

Last edited:
Not stronger than you "rose-colored glasses."
If you have proofs (real proofs and not a copy of the words of the FD, then please submit them), if not, then why are you trying to troll me, battle fanboy?

Well aren't you all joy and light!

I'm a software test professional. My team spends something in the region of 85% of it's time preparing their tests. That's 85% of the elapsed time where there is literally "nothing to show" to anyone who might be interested in our progress.

"Do you have anything to show?"

"No"

"Then you have not been doing anything!"

"On the contrary we have been extremely busy"

"Then show me what you have produced"

"OK. Sit down and watch this YouTube livestream, where I will ask members of my team to show their test designs, explain the thought processes behind the choices they made and show the absoultely rivetting process of test data design and creation. We will examine in minute detail the excel sheets in which their test desgins are kapt up to date and expanded as new conditions are added. The ongoing documentation efforts that allow us to guarantee......"

'CLUNK' (that was the sound of their head hitting the desk as they fell asleep.....)

"Oh. so you are not really interested then?"

Last edited:

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
I'm fine with the stream - I just wish they'd answer my damn question and be clear about what this stream is!

If it's a stream featuring community content rather than news from FD then just say so - don't do this thing of using ambiguous wording to make it sound potentially more exciting than it is.

Sorry Alec, I didn't see your question until now!! Apologies.

Yes, the stream will feature three sections (one per game) based on community content, active forum threads, Bug Reports we want to call out in terms of fixing, and general questions we can answer about the current state of the games. The last section is then dedicated to the Question of the Month, which is a community question about the gaming industry or Frontier teams.

We were actually really excited to share this news with you; it's a community team initiative we wanted to bring for a long time now, as a way to bridge the gap between gameplay streams and podcasts, and to give viewers and players alike a chance to ask us questions they normally wouldn't get the chance to. The post wasn't meant to overhype that stream at all, but again, we are genuinely excited to be starting new livestream series.
It's only the first episode, and we are 100% open to feedback from those watching about the format or content of the show. But let's give it a chance first :).

For those asking, it'll be multicast to both Twitch and YouTube, so you can watch the VOD afterwards if you can't make it.

And when will you decide to make an announcement?
March 7? On PAX-east? In 2021? In the year 2121?
Is it possible for the community as a whole, and I, among other things, are asking for something of the utterly impossible?

Well, you are asking for something impossible. You already said you don't believe they're even work on on it, so how can they announce a release date you would believe?

Maybe you should make the first move - tell fdev what to do to make you a believer. We wait with bated breath...

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Coolness. If it's about Frontier, can you tell us about your DevOps processes?

Specifically around how bugs from past versions seem to creep into releases. But like what project management tool do you like/use; dev/QA methodologies SCRUM vs CMMI etc; do you use CI?
I'm quite interested in how a gaming company's devops functions vs enterprise.

Absolutely! I've added it to the question list for you :) thanks!!

Well, you are asking for something impossible. You already said you don't believe they're even work on on it, so how can they announce a release date you would believe?

Maybe you should make the first move - tell fdev what to do to make you a believer. We wait with bated breath...

"oh I'm not ready to tell you yet"
It was a joke. What do you need to believe in what works? Suddenly - a roadmap announcement "for example 4.0 ice planets, 4.1 fleet Carriers, 4.2 space legs, 4.3 atmosphere planets".
Albeit without details.
Perhaps a pair of screenshots (at least in the White box and gray box).
Is it so hard to do that?

Last edited:

Yes, the stream will feature three sections (one per game) based on community content, active forum threads, Bug Reports we want to call out in terms of fixing, and general questions we can answer about the current state of the games. The last section is then dedicated to the Question of the Month, which is a community question about the gaming industry or Frontier teams.

We were actually really excited to share this news with you; it's a community team initiative we wanted to bring for a long time now, as a way to bridge the gap between gameplay streams and podcasts, and to give viewers and players alike a chance to ask us questions they normally wouldn't get the chance to. The post wasn't meant to overhype that stream at all, but again, we are genuinely excited to be starting new livestream series.
It's only the first episode, and we are 100% open to feedback from those watching about the format or content of the show. But let's give it a chance first :).

For those asking, it'll be multicast to both Twitch and YouTube, so you can watch the VOD afterwards if you can't make it.

Thanks Bo, really appreciate the response and sorry to rain on the parade here slightly - I just think the initial message was unclear (as evidenced by everyone immediately asking for news about what's coming soon). OK cool, now I know what to expect my expectations have been set appropriately and I'm looking forward to the stream. Hope it goes well!

That all sounds excellent and cheers for clarifying :)

Top Bottom