So cross platform?

Could see this wokring

I could see this working as Xbox is slowly getting mouse and keyboard support, already has Flight stick support with the Flight Hotas, and the xbox controls aren't that bad to compare with ED on PC, I could see this happening to populate the space more and make interactions with players more often and frequent, I could also see it as an advantage if Frontier introduced large space fights with Thargoids or even the Guardians, it could work if played safe and tested thoroughly, but I could see trouble off Sony about it as they always do with cross platform.

Deleted member 110222

D
Well, I guess as someone can "see it working", FD has no choice but to introduce it to the game immediately.

No.

Right now the game barely works supporting just one platform. Let's not complicate things. Don't run before you can walk.

I feel like we need to RIOT until frontier confirm they are engaging in negotiations with all platforms to make it a reality.

Commence RIOT.

I think we should start out with a hard hitting leaflet campaign, and if that doesn't work, it's time for the big guns.

T-shirts. "Cross play in, corporate cross play hating overlords out."

Can we have a cool acronym :)

Just noticed this from Chucklefish about the recently released 'Wargroove':

Hi all,

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can *literally* toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn't a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...ad-we-were-told-no.99096/page-6#post-17824429

So sounds like Sony is still the problem unless you are Fortnite and they want to raid your billions.

Just noticed this from Chucklefish about the recently released 'Wargroove':

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...ad-we-were-told-no.99096/page-6#post-17824429

So sounds like Sony is still the problem unless you are Fortnite and they want to raid your billions.

Yep, Sony recently said "It's not as easy as everyone says, but all companies are welcome to get in touch with us and try" but as suspected it really is just a matter of flipping a switch. I suspect it's the same for Elite too.

Last edited:
Yep, Sony recently said "It's not as easy as everyone says, but all companies are welcome to get in touch with us and try" but as suspected it really is just a matter of flipping a switch. I suspect it's the same for Elite too.

Well,do we have any evidence of Frontier even "getting in touch" about it? Nope.

2) Patches and upgrades for PS and XBox take longer (this is why betas are PC only).

Live patches are already in lockstep. There's no reason betas can't stay a PC-only thing while the production service is cross play

3) They are concerned to make sure that PvPers on one platform would not be at a disadvantage to players on another platform because of controllers.

Non-issue. In terms of inputs, both Xbox and PS4 have the option of game-controller or Hotas. Xbox will have KB/mouse shortly too.
In terms of performance giving some players an advance, that's already an issue - PS-Pro/Xbox 1X players already have better framerates than standard PS4/Xbox owners.

There is a possible problem with duplicate CMDR names, and there may be issues with how players are instanced, but if the opportunity arises, it's certainly something they will look at seriously. It should benefit everyone.

This has got to already be an issue, right? Like, if I tag a star it must know the difference between my ID and a PC id with the same name?
Still, easy fix. Adjust the Commander prefix... Cmdr for PC, Cmdrs for Sony PS4, CmdrX for Xbox. Boom -sorted.

Well, them replying to a thread like this with something like "we are discussing with Sony..." would be a good start.

Closest we've got so far.

Hello everyone,

First off, the news of this cross-platform beta for Fortnite is really exciting. As it’s just announced, we'll be watching with interest to see how it goes!

Though we’re excited, we've nothing to announce on how this could effect Elite Dangerous in the future. However, you'll find all the information here on our forums, across our newsletters and social pages should that change.

As I said to my squadron mates, as a professional software developer, I am fully aware that there should be no technical reasons why cross-platform play should not be able to happen - and happen quickly - other than laziness, ignorance or recalcitrance. I believe that Sony is the source of the recalcitrance, and I'd like to believe that FDev hasn't succumbed to laziness or ignorance.

Given that Sony is being recalcitrant on the matter of cross platform play, I believe that the time has come for all developers to issue an ultimatum to Sony: Cease and desist your anti-competitive restrictions on cross platform play, or on (date x, say 2 months from the date of the ultimatum) we will cease and desist supporting and developing applications for your platform, and will discontinue server support for our games.

Either Sony caves and permits unrestricted cross platform play before the deadline... or the developers pull the plug until the screams of the outraged owners of Sony consoles force Sony to back down.

As I said to my squadron mates, as a professional software developer, I am fully aware that there should be no technical reasons why cross-platform play should not be able to happen - and happen quickly - other than laziness, ignorance or recalcitrance. I believe that Sony is the source of the recalcitrance, and I'd like to believe that FDev hasn't succumbed to laziness or ignorance.

Given that Sony is being recalcitrant on the matter of cross platform play, I believe that the time has come for all developers to issue an ultimatum to Sony: Cease and desist your anti-competitive restrictions on cross platform play, or on (date x, say 2 months from the date of the ultimatum) we will cease and desist supporting and developing applications for your platform, and will discontinue server support for our games.

Either Sony caves and permits unrestricted cross platform play before the deadline... or the developers pull the plug until the screams of the outraged owners of Sony consoles force Sony to back down.

I think that's a much easier thing to ask someone (ie Frontier) to do than to do yourself. I'm very much in favour of cross platform instancing, but then direct PvP doesn't factor much in my playstyle, co-op & BGS interactions do though & generally it might make the place seem a little more alive if more players have the opportunity instance with each other.

If Sony are the problem (I have no idea) could the XBox players still join with the PC ones? It doesn't have to be all or nothing and then Sony players can join in at a later date..

Top Bottom