I for one welcome "Maintentance Mode"

blah blah blah blah

Dear Mr. Jehov.. Frontier's Witness, no you cannot come into my house, and I'm not interested in what you are peddling. Please go to the next thread over and knock on their door, I'm sure they'd love to attend your church.

Bye now!

Last edited:
I hung up my joystick about a year ago due to the low-cal development model of Frontier giving the bare minimums of polish while constantly dangling the carrot of "the next big thing" somewhere off in the hazy future. I only came out of retirement to assist all my friends in the Distant Ganks, a group that has proven if you want quality content from ED you're going to have to eke it out yourself. Me and some others pointed out that the game was in full on maintenance mode since the midway point of Horizon's, and we have consistently been borne out. Not that that is a bad thing necessarily if you're expectations are set low enough, but for many of us it's just not enough. Certainly not enough to continue contributing to store sales of which I used to do consistently but do no longer. Even Beyond cannot be characterized as anything other then keeping the IV drip going to give the impression of growth.

As far as Will Flanigan's announcement goes...well, that's not much to go on there, is it? Fdev hasn't earned any trust in my long experience, so I see no purpose in getting excited or hopeful for their "big future update." In fact, I'd go so far as to say that ED doesn't need an "update" at all, but rather a do over from the foundation up in the form of a sequel.

Last edited:
It's a bit late to welcome a mode that began at the beginning of 2018. It's just that fanboys failed to admit it was maintenance mode until now when Fdev proved it.

Not sure how the massive exploration update was maintenance mode.

Still, I'm glad you are here to slag the game off. I would miss you otherwise.

Genuine question tho. Do you still play the game, or just the forum?

Hmm, yea. I mean, my first reaction on the End of 2020" also was like "damn, that's a long stretch". But if what they build is worth it, i am in. I mean, it'll still be done before SC is actually rolled out. :D

My fear is more that what we get will indeed be space legs. I am not that interested in that. I'd rather explore interesting habitable planets and water worlds in vehicles (SRV and perhaps some kind of submersible SRV) than walk around in a space station. So i actually am hoping for that instead. Time will tell what FD actually goes for.

IF....

... Frontier fixes the bugs and minor design flaws in the current game.

I honestly believe most of the bugs and broken features in the game are due to Frontier rushing to meet deadlines that in hindsight were unrealistic for their development team. Sometimes the best thing for software is a "feature freeze", during which time the focus is on fixing the features we already have, and Elite Dangerous 3.3 has a LOT of features. I can be kept entertained by the current game for months to come if and when the bugs are fixed. Examples include:

I have yet to visit most of the in-game assets like generation ships and INRA bases because the graphics shaders on PS4 are terribly broken. Take the time to fix these shaders (they looked great when the game first released), and I will enjoy visiting these places, perhaps as part of a "tourist group" of other players.

I recently become more interested in the BGS and playing to both strengthen some factions while weakening others, but needless to say the BGS has been broken lately. Fix this (and perhaps enhance it and make it more accessible to noobs like me), and I will enjoy the deeper strategy game hidden in Elite Dangerous.

I absolutely love the new exploration tools, but there's lots of bugs with things like POI resolve time, statistics not showing, etc. There are also design flaws in the way the "error" messages cover up important details, etc. The various modes are still clunky and could use some attention, and the new lighting system really needs some adjustment. There are also some new QoL additions that would be easy-peasy to add, like the FSS spectrometer on our main HUD, and heck, give those poor souls who miss the ADS the ability to install one in their exploration ships as an optional, separate, module. Make it a Guardian Module that requires a little work if you think ADS is too overpowered for regular outfitting.​

I could go on and on about broken AI, stuttering framerate in supercruise, crashes that risk bricking PS4s, etc ad nauseam, but the point is simple -

Mr. Braben, tear down these bugs!

If Elite Dangerous 3.3 is the game you are going to be selling for the next two years, then you need to fix everything in the current game, otherwise your customers new and old won't trust whatever you try to sell us in 2020. Me personally, I think you have an amazing game already, buried under these bugs, and I think there is enough here to keep me busy until the "new era" (which I'm actually very excited about), but please Frontier, don't neglect the present by putting all your energies into the future, otherwise nobody will be around when the future gets here. Fix the bugs, tweak the glaring mistakes in design, add some very simple QoL improvements, and I think you'll find that most of us will still be here in 2020.

Hey Old Duck. Switching to PC will fix a lot of your problems related to graphics :p

Don't want to be a pain in the *ss but I'm so glad I left the PS4 version of this game ! Graphics at maximum + EDFX & reshade + head tracking and a good HOTAS is amazing for IMMMMEERRSSSHIOOONNN.

o7

Hey Old Duck. Switching to PC will fix a lot of your problems related to graphics :p

Don't want to be a pain in the *ss but I'm so glad I left the PS4 version of this game ! Graphics at maximum + EDFX & reshade + head tracking and a good HOTAS is amazing for IMMMMEERRSSSHIOOONNN.

o7

I'm a simple man of simple means, and buying a gaming PC for this one game, well it's just not in the cards. Thing is, I'm actually not a graphics snob - I don't expect ED to look as good on PS4 as it does PC. I just expect it to look as good on PS4 as all my other games look on PS4. Thankfully, all my other games look good on PS4 :D

I confess that even ED looks good on PS4 (good enough for me), as long as I stay out of the sun. It's the shaders directly related to the primary star's shadow-casting that just ruin an otherwise beautiful game. That said, this game as way more bugs than just broken shadows. It's not like the PC bug report forum is barren.

I will, however, grab a PS5 when it comes out, assuming it has the rumored PS4 backwards-compatibility mode, just in time for the New Era!

Last edited:
18 mnd. Is a long time for the next update.
Luckily I’m a slow player. I need that time to test the current content. I haven’t even tried the new mining yet.
I’ll stay. :)

I have to agree - ED is better when FDev leave it alone and concentrate on other stuff. At least this way they won't be taking away features that people enjoy using.

My prediction for the 'next big thing' is a fundamental rewrite of the BGS, introducing more direct player (especially PMF) control of system assets, colonization and directed expansion. In short, even more gamification and less sandbox. Oh, and minigames. Lots of minigames.

IF....

... Frontier fixes the bugs and minor design flaws in the current game.

I honestly believe most of the bugs and broken features in the game are due to Frontier rushing to meet deadlines that in hindsight were unrealistic for their development team. Sometimes the best thing for software is a "feature freeze", during which time the focus is on fixing the features we already have, and Elite Dangerous 3.3 has a LOT of features. I can be kept entertained by the current game for months to come if and when the bugs are fixed. Examples include:
I have yet to visit most of the in-game assets like generation ships and INRA bases because the graphics shaders on PS4 are terribly broken. Take the time to fix these shaders (they looked great when the game first released), and I will enjoy visiting these places, perhaps as part of a "tourist group" of other players.

I recently become more interested in the BGS and playing to both strengthen some factions while weakening others, but needless to say the BGS has been broken lately. Fix this (and perhaps enhance it and make it more accessible to noobs like me), and I will enjoy the deeper strategy game hidden in Elite Dangerous.

I absolutely love the new exploration tools, but there's lots of bugs with things like POI resolve time, statistics not showing, etc. There are also design flaws in the way the "error" messages cover up important details, etc. The various modes are still clunky and could use some attention, and the new lighting system really needs some adjustment. There are also some new QoL additions that would be easy-peasy to add, like the FSS spectrometer on our main HUD, and heck, give those poor souls who miss the ADS the ability to install one in their exploration ships as an optional, separate, module. Make it a Guardian Module that requires a little work if you think ADS is too overpowered for regular outfitting.​

I could go on and on about broken AI, stuttering framerate in supercruise, crashes that risk bricking PS4s, etc ad nauseam, but the point is simple -

Mr. Braben, tear down these bugs!

If Elite Dangerous 3.3 is the game you are going to be selling for the next two years, then you need to fix everything in the current game, otherwise your customers new and old won't trust whatever you try to sell us in 2020. Me personally, I think you have an amazing game already, buried under these bugs, and I think there is enough here to keep me busy until the "new era" (which I'm actually very excited about), but please Frontier, don't neglect the present by putting all your energies into the future, otherwise nobody will be around when the future gets here. Fix the bugs, tweak the glaring mistakes in design, add some very simple QoL improvements, and I think you'll find that most of us will still be here in 2020.
Yeah I'm with you. Including the gigantic "IF". I'm pretty pessimistic about Frontier's ability/willingness to cross the t's and dot the i's, though. But if they added nothing to the game for the next two years while still fixing bugs and ironing out UI/UX clutter/inconsistencies and broken features, I'd be happy with that. All the old and recent features are great except for the fact that they're terrible. "Juuuuuuuuust" fix them and all of the sudden you've got a great game.

I've mentioned this elsewhere but I'm not bored with the game I'm fed up with how clunky and broken it is. I'd be more than happy to spend the next two years playing a smooth, coherent, consistent, user-respecting version of the game we already have now.

I do not, however, believe for one second that we're going to get this. It's something Frontier have failed to do time and again and I see no reason to expect that anything is going to change until we see words put into action. And honestly the way they conduct themselves in the next 18 months is going to be what determines whether or not I buy whatever big expansion/sequel/reboot they've got planned coming up. I will never buy anything from them on the basis of future promises ever again. It's either good out of the box or it's trash as far as I'm concerned.

It's a bit late to welcome a mode that began at the beginning of 2018. It's just that fanboys failed to admit it was maintenance mode until now when Fdev proved it.

You can repeat that nonsense as many times as you want, it's still wrong.

And honestly the way they conduct themselves in the next 18 months is going to be what determines whether or not I buy whatever big expansion/sequel/reboot they've got planned coming up. I will never buy anything from them on the basis of future promises ever again. It's either good out of the box or it's trash as far as I'm concerned.

I'm with you one hundred percent. No more preorders for me, and I might even wait a month or so to see what others on my platform have to say before I buy the New Era. And thanks to the current state of Elite Dangerous, I refuse to purchase any more "Frontier Points" or any other Frontier games. Now it's not too late for Frontier to change my opinion about them, and the fact that I have even a shred of hope that they might fix the game we currently have is a testament to how desperately I want them to fix it, but would I bet on it? Only if we're playing with Monopoly money.

Not sure how the massive exploration update was maintenance mode.

Still, I'm glad you are here to slag the game off. I would miss you otherwise.

Genuine question tho. Do you still play the game, or just the forum?

I log into the game once every 8 months or so. The patch notes tell enough to know nothing substantial has changed. Exploration you say, solar system mini game that detracts from actual flying of the space I say.

massive exploration update

giphy.gif

I log into the game once every 8 months or so. The patch notes tell enough to know nothing substantial has changed. Exploration you say, solar system mini game that detracts from actual flying of the space I say.

So what would you like the see. What would the game be like, when you logged in and went Wow! I love this?

Top Bottom