OA and Dj truthsayer discuss update news

Or, perhaps, some people are just okay with frivolous entertainment?

My missus has an IQ of 151, organises the finances of the local government for a living and spends her evenings playing bloody Peggle like her life depends on it.
Your missus is a keeper. Peggle is brilliant!

Or, perhaps, some people are just okay with frivolous entertainment?

My missus has an IQ of 151, organises the finances of the local government for a living and spends her evenings playing bloody Peggle like her life depends on it.

Maybe there's an element of intelligence in knowing how to have fun.

Mrs Stigbob has more qualifications than we have wall space in the study. Yet she loves watching the bindiving Hipsters do up old furniture program one of the most brainless things ever made for TV.

Personally, I suspect that getting all the ships that launch from one to appear in the same instance would be a more immediate issue.

We've already got limited instancing so I can't see that being a thing. I think the plan is more mobile resupply than a capital ship you take into CZ's and launch from in waves.

Last edited by a moderator:
...she loves watching the bindiving Hipsters do up old furniture program one of the most brainless things ever made for TV....

Heh!

That's my missus' favourite TV show too.

"If it can stand upright we'll turn it into a lamp, otherwise we'll turn it into a table"

I, literally, have an old fake-crystal table-lamp sat on the desk in front of me, which she fished out of a skip and wants me to repair so she can "renovate" it and then, presumably, sell it for £350.
Just like those guys on the telly do.

Heh!

"If it can stand upright we'll turn it into a lamp, otherwise we'll turn it into a table"

I, literally, have an old fake-crystal table-lamp sat on the desk in front of me, which she fished out of a skip and wants me to repair so she can "renovate" it and then, presumably, sell it for £350.

The thing that amazes me is they actually sell the stuff. Old table ?, paint one leg green and nail a random item to it reducing functionality somehow makes it worth more than just a straight up renovation.

I'm all for making do and mending but they just ruin stuff. Grrr youngsters nowadays.

Mrs Stigbob has more qualifications than we have wall space in the study. Yet she loves watching the bindiving Hipsters do up old furniture program one of the most brainless things ever made for TV.

Mrs Stinja does quantum physics and is technically a rocket scientist, she watches those diety(s)-awful DIY programs with Nick Knowles etc [where is it] I have to play forum-wars or my brain starts leaking out my nose...

As for topic: I accidently stumbled upon the livestream, and listened while cooking dinner. It didn't really offer anything new than the various threads on here, but I guess others would find it useful.

As for Frontier pushing Elite's game-as-a-service, and how they keep saying they want to engage with the community, then they should look at how Digital Extremes does their engagement: https://www.youtube.com/user/PlayWarframe/videos?disable_polymer=1

- regular devstreams, with reveals
- discussion of their forum hot topics
- activity on forums
- explanation of mechanics
- detailed patchnotes
- etc etc

It's at least something to try, if they mean what they say, and if it doesn't work go back to the silent treatment.

Possibly so, but I doubt that was something FDev discovered a month before release.

If FDev do, eventually, find a way to reliably get dozens of players all whizzing around in the same instance, I'm sure it'll be amazing.
I only hope there's still sufficient players around to justify the effort.

Don't know about the reasons, just want to point out that it wasn't one month before release. The announcement was made 4 months before release, internal decision was probably a few weeks earlier. It's already hard enough to tell truth from nonsense, so please don't create alternative facts. ;)

On the speculative part: Maybe it was technical difficulties, if you consider how many last minute changes they make that wouldn't be surprising 4-5 months before release.
It's also possible that they ran out of time.
The most likely scenario is that they want to release it as part of the updates between now and 2020 because they knew they would need to give us some new features in order to keep us happy, the same could be true for ice planets.

It's probably a combination of all three.

Last edited:
Mrs Stinja does quantum physics and is technically a rocket scientist, she watches those diety(s)-awful DIY programs with Nick Knowles etc [where is it] I have to play forum-wars or my brain starts leaking out my nose...

As for topic: I accidently stumbled upon the livestream, and listened while cooking dinner. It didn't really offer anything new than the various threads on here, but I guess others would find it useful.

As for Frontier pushing Elite's game-as-a-service, and how they keep saying they want to engage with the community, then they should look at how Digital Extremes does their engagement: https://www.youtube.com/user/PlayWarframe/videos?disable_polymer=1

- regular devstreams, with reveals
- discussion of their forum hot topics
- activity on forums
- explanation of mechanics
- detailed patchnotes
- etc etc

It's at least something to try, if they mean what they say, and if it doesn't work go back to the silent treatment.

I'd agree with this. I dont think Frontier has a problem with Elite, but I do think it should take another look at the way it engages with players given the 18 months delay. Player expectations often get out of control because of an absence of information, not because there's too much of it. As soon as Frontier is able they should in my opinion start talking about 4.0 in broad brush strokes and then once a month take a little look at some of its features. This doesn't have to be a deep dive, it doesn't have to over promise but it can be some early artwork mock-ups, it can be a chat about the technical challenges involved or the actual process in coming up with an (any) idea and working it through to it's conclusion.

I realise this takes lots of time and effort and doesn't just happen by magic, but something once a month for up to an hour would probably keep players engaged and interested. Frontier do after all see Elite not just as a game but as a service.....

Last edited:

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Hi folks. :)

Had to do a bit of moderating in the thread and delete where needed, I think I got them all. ;)

Oh and Hi to OA & DJ next time we meet beers are on you two. :p

Last edited:
We have landable megaships, we've got attack/defend missions for them, we can resupply/refit and take missions on them, and they can move around the galaxy already.

They all seem like logical steps towards full fleet carriers so viability isn't an issue. How do you fit them into the BGS must be a bit of a quandary though.
Yup. Possibly networking/instancing might have thrown up more challenges than expected as well.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Hi folks. :)

Had to do a bit of moderating in the thread and delete where needed, I think I got them all. ;)

Oh and Hi to OA & DJ next time we meet beers are on you two. :p

That is swell. I ll make sure to show up next time you guys meet.

Btw, at what time in the OP video starts the discussion between OA and DJ?

Last edited:
Heh!

Listen to her. She does organise the local governments finances after all :D

Listen to her. She does organise the local governments finances after all :D

She does that well.

When she's eyeing-up manky old wooden crates with a view to me turning them into some kind of "shabby chic" wardrobe, not so much. :p

There was this one time when she got the notion that I could create a "deck" out of some old pallets.
It made our back garden look like an Amazon depot.
Fortunately (for me, if not the dog), the dog got a giant splinter in his paw (which may or may not have come from one of the pallets) and that was enough to convince her it was a bad idea.

But that's probably enough off-topic "upcycling" chat. ;)

She does that well.

When she's eyeing-up manky old wooden crates with a view to me turning them into some kind of "shabby chic" wardrobe, not so much. :p

There was this one time when she got the notion that I could create a "deck" out of some old pallets.
It made our back garden look like an Amazon depot.
Fortunately (for me, if not the dog), the dog got a giant splinter in his paw (which may or may not have come from one of the pallets) and that was enough to convince her it was a bad idea.

But that's probably enough off-topic "upcycling" chat. ;)

Lol, I got forced to make planters out of pallets by Mrs Stigbob. They worked out very nicely two level affairs maximizing sun+space against the walls great for salad linseed oil as a preservative gives it a nice color chemical free. And a big one with blueberry bushes in it, that's a bit of a failure though as the sheep can reach it.

Still the sheep are happy.

I'm confused. What's Mrs Stigbobs relation to OA and DJ Truthsayer?

On topic: I remember a video (or stream) of OA a few month ago where he said that if somebody would have told him in 2015 (when Horizons was released) that we wouldn't have some sort of atmospheric landings in 2019 he would have been shocked, not believed them. That's a nice representation how development slowed down after Horizons.

Last edited:
I'm confused. What's Mrs Stigbobs relation to OA and DJ Truthsayer?

On topic: I remember a video (or stream) of OA a few month ago where he said that if somebody would have told him in 2015 (when Horizons was released) that we wouldn't have some sort of atmospheric landings in 2019 he would have been shocked, not believed them. That's a nice representation how development slowed down after Horizons.

That's a logical fallacy. You are assuming that the features they did implement between Horizons and now would've taken way less effort than implementing atmospheric landings, which is something you can't know. That said, I also expected to have atmopsheric landings by 2019, I didn't expect the game to improve so much in other areas though.

Who said space-legs will be the big thing in 2020? I mean, FD already have the tech from other games... It could be one of the newbie friendly QoL patches for all we know? Until they tell us something, we're all just guessing and assuming, and we all know what assuming does.

That's a logical fallacy. You are assuming that the features they did implement between Horizons and now would've taken way less effort than implementing atmospheric landings, which is something you can't know. That said, I also expected to have atmopsheric landings by 2019, I didn't expect the game to improve so much in other areas though.

See, that's where we disagree. I have a hard time to see actual improvement and call most of that stuff filler, half-baked and minimum effort.

Ships: Only good ships released were Chieftain and Kraits. Then, I always expected them to release ships in periodic updates.

Mutlicrew: Never expected it because I have no desire to use it, but i would call it buggy and half-baked, and what I actually expected to have by now, NPC crew, is missing.

Engineers: Never expected FDEV to waste that much time on it. Why in theory it's a good idea to keep the players engaged and give them something to do, they went way overboard with the engineers, breaking the balancing, when an "Engineers light" would have sufficed completely and would probably have taken way less time to implement.

Thargoids and Guardian story line: Started up really hype, but then somewhere on the way it crashed and burned, and feels abandoned now.

Exploration and Mining: Nice and small improvements to some underdeveloped areas of the game, I give them that. Very lightweight, but effective.

and so on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom