News Important Community Update (01/03)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
There you have it, thanks for the details. Then, as we all know, the stunning conclusion to this saga was that the premium content ended up simply not existing.

Wonder full , frontier just proved that the 3 major things they promised and hyped at frontier expo 2017 is just pure marketing and screwing over the community.

Carrier ships for your squadron , Ice planets, premium content for the lifetime expansion passes , early backers and mind you all for free for horizons and season pass holders.

This will turn in to payed content where ice planets carriers will be payed content, and premium content for backers will not even appear .

Instead some rubbish bobble heads and paint jobs no one would even consider in buying or using .future content will amount to poor quality and broken features that will be overhyped .
Good to see frontier is keeping up its reputation for disapointing content.

Instead fix the broken npcs that are to dumb to even take of a simple outpost with out getting stuck.

Hm. What do you think an FD developer would think when reading this?

Carriers and Ice Planets were delayed because of reasonable design choices made later on. That's life. Features are not set in stone unless molded into contracts. Do you have such a contract? I doubt so.

Better be glad there will be an ED II at all, and LEPers will get it for free. FD are not obliged to anything here. Sue them to find out if you will.

Possibly you don't love the game very much or simply are an Angry Ghost.

O7,
[noob]

Hm. What do you think an FD developer would think when reading this?

Carriers and Ice Planets were delayed because of reasonable design choices made later on. That's life. Features are not set in stone unless molded into contracts. Do you have such a contract? I doubt so.

Better be glad there will be an ED II at all, and LEPers will get it for free. FD are not obliged to anything here. Sue them to find out if you will.

Possibly you don't love the game very much or simply are an Angry Ghost.

O7,
[noob]

Developers who have an unknown IP coming might do well not to annoy potential buyers, contract or not.

Who cares who is interested in what , they hyped these 3 things and never delivered. And as it was put in the same sentence as free for horizons and season pass holders.
And for your information re watch the video of the expo and you find every thing is in there all 3 features they never delivered.
So i recomend you go back to that video and rewatch it and come back and apologise.

Hi Alfred *waves*

Looks like you were mistaken. Dont worry, I won't demand an apology.

That would be silly.

Wonder full , frontier just proved that the 3 major things they promised and hyped at frontier expo 2017 is just pure marketing and screwing over the community.

Carrier ships for your squadron , Ice planets, premium content for the lifetime expansion passes , early backers and mind you all for free for horizons and season pass holders.

This will turn in to payed content where ice planets carriers will be payed content, and premium content for backers will not even appear .

Instead some rubbish bobble heads and paint jobs no one would even consider in buying or using .future content will amount to poor quality and broken features that will be overhyped .

Instead fix the broken npcs that are to dumb to even take of a simple outpost with out getting stuck.

Give over. I paid £30 for ED in the Oculus store. I have already had more than my money's worth and I have yet to do most of the things on offer in the game. Anything added in the future will just be a bonus. Anyway, why on Earth would FD want to "screw over the community"?

Constructive criticism.

Don't you think if they had any confidence in what was coming in 18 months that they would advertise it proudly, 'We know it's a long time to wait, but the new era is going to feature atmospheric landings, gas giants and some limited walking area's all with new gameplay and an enhanced engine."

Boy, this forum would have been different this last weekend! Everyone praising Fdev for the fantastic news and the balls to be honest about how long it would take. But now, who even believes they've started on this brave new world? I don't.

Well said. Have some Rep!

The bobble head/pain job thing was one thing that irked me. A hula girl would have been awesome. The community has been screaming for one for ages.
Painjobs: Yay for one I'll never use.

I'm still waiting for that premium content for LEP holders. Announced in 2017, backed up in 2018, voided in 2019. Yep, way to keep your fans close.

Constructive criticism.

Don't you think if they had any confidence in what was coming in 18 months that they would advertise it proudly, 'We know it's a long time to wait, but the new era is going to feature atmospheric landings, gas giants and some limited walking area's all with new gameplay and an enhanced engine."

Boy, this forum would have been different this last weekend! Everyone praising Fdev for the fantastic news and the balls to be honest about how long it would take. But now, who even believes they've started on this brave new world? I don't.

It would have been much better. But what we got simply says that they don't know what they're doing - if they did there would be some sort of reveal or sneak peek. Remember how we saw peeks on the narcissus hello-me holo-me about 15 months before it was delivered? And that was a fairly simple game addition - a set of new menu things for a character creator more than anything else.. FDev's style has been if it's underway now, and actually planned and truly in development, then it's hyped and revealed many months in advance. If it's a trivial or simple thing that's unstaffed or gets done in spare time we never hear about it until it's almost released.

Constructive criticism.

You are such an optimist, there is no way everyone on this forum would be happy about the same thing at the same time no matter what it was.

I have no idea how many believe they have started on this brave new world as you put it but there are I am sure many amongst those that read the forums and some among the posters.

Constructive criticism.

Agree 100%. Its not so much the delay that concerns me, but the way that everything is being done. Yamicks brought up some good points in his recent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnus9ei9gyA It really does seem like they are gearing things down to 'maintenance' mode, and that the 2020 update might be underwhelming. I hope I'm mistaken, but Fdev hasn't said much to clairify or put us at ease.

EDIT: Actually I just read that Fdev has looked over a lot of points made in the forum, and will soon post a response addressing some.

Last edited:
Constructive criticism.

Yeah, you don't announce another two years delay for the next expansion without any clue about what you're gonna do if you are actually in full production and with a precise plan.

Clues are pointing out that they are not actually in full production.
Maybe that will change when the new IP will be out.
Or they're just going to start a new IP after that.

You are such an optimist, there is no way everyone on this forum would be happy about the same thing at the same time no matter what it was.
I have no idea how many believe they have started on this brave new world as you put it but there are I am sure many amongst those that read the forums and some among the posters.

Absolutey agree about not everyone being happy, I liked the FSS, many didn't, I hate Combat Zones, many love them, I'm thankful for the orrery (maybe a bit of an outlier on that one), but having read many of the threads since the 'announcement', the overriding vibe I get is A) What is taking so long? and B) why not tell us when the reprioritised ice planet uprade / carriers are coming? and C) wildly overblown expectations of what the quarterly updates are going to consist of, and they simply ignore the real questions* to answer ones about their favourite shade of pink.

Yes, there are many, so many, who do believe they've really started on the DLC, since last August even and have invented whole new games (ED 2), or space legs & atmospheric landings & new server tech in their imaginations, busy thanking fdev for keeping us updated on their plans... but extrapolating what Fdev have done over the last three years... I (me, myself & I), don't.

* I'm also aware that their culture of secrecy is definitely a top down situation, management or the money men forcing them to issue platitudes instead of actual information, I'm just sick of it so I'm sharing - and yes, I should just walk away; from the game, from the forums, unfortunately ED is the only space game that currently scratches my itch but my patience is finite, the latest information drop is sorely testing that, and no, I'm not going to thank Will for the one paragraph update with more pointless promises (Fdev are great at them), I'll thank him when he releases some actual information.

Last edited:
Some people talks about a new engine, some people talks about ED 2,... Will the things I bought in the store transfer to the next era or it is to soon to ask? Sorry for my english.

Last edited:
Gosh, depressingly exhausting troll jingles as always, no matter FDEV says, makes or don't.

Even when FDEV says nothing, some are able to see many things in their silence. So if FDEV said: "hey atmospherics are coming!" some will call them liars, and will probably disappointed by the result anyway.

Let's hope some won't get blamed as incompetent liars and fired by their employer next time they're late at work or don't do/tell things exactly how their taskmaster thought they should.

Gamers are rules lawyers. Always have been. I can understand the frustration.
"Customer is King" ? Yeah, why not... No need to behave like a abusive whimsical despot though.

Last edited:
Let's hope some won't get blamed as incompetent liars and fired by their employer next time they're late at work or don't do/tell things exactly how their taskmaster thought they should.

Everything is good, only this "next time" someone has been lasting for more than one year.
In 2016, people were waiting for the frontiers to announce a really major update, in which they would add really major mechanics.
Frontiers were silent.
In 2017, everyone was waiting for the frontiers to present a truly new mechanic. The fronts were silent (I do not take Beyond into account, because he brought nothing cardinally new)
In 2018, people expected that the frontiers would introduce a new mechanic, the frontiers were silent.
Do you think an employer should keep an employee who has not performed work for several years?

Will Flanagan is Lead Community Mngr. For ED. Answering my own question.

I don't understand the motivation of a Community Mngr who doesn't communicate openly and plainly with the player base of an historic game. Three posts over the last few days - none of which make any sense to the average Joe or Jenny with money to burn on virtual product.

We all know as players and consumers, that ED is vapor. It will never reside on my bookshelf like the hundreds of physical games I own. I couldn't play it in twenty years even if I kept my console or computer, because Frontier will support it as long as they can, but no longer. Yet knowing that, I've given Frontier well over 400 USD because; ED is one of the few games that comes along once every ten years or so. It's one of the best games I've ever played, and I've been at this over 40 years.

Gamers are rules lawyers. Always have been. I can understand the frustration. ED players seem older than the average modern era gamer. I assume we're older. With age comes wisdom, baggage, and discresionary income, and goddamn if the ED fan base doesn't show all three equally. It's a tough room, I get that - but we've payed the door fee, and we've had at least two drinks, because we want to see what's next.

So, what's next Will? I look to you to tell me if I'm going to give your company money, for virtual product, over the next two to three years.

+ Rep there Attack Chimp.

What you say is spot on.
I played Elite back in the '80's.
ED was the first game I bought in years, because I got bored with the 'same old, same old'. I played it since launch & have 9050hr on the game clock. I'v had excellent value for money & spent in the store.
I don't always like what Frontier put in-game, but I'm wise enough to understand that you can't please everyone, all of the time....but I still play!

I can't see why some of the Frontier team think that telling it's loyal playerbase nothing about a DLC that's coming in 18months time, is a good company strategy.
Also telling us that in-between there will be smaller updates, though again no details on what.
Not even a mention of Carriers & Ice Planets that got delayed last year.

There must be some reason why Frontier are soo secretive about everything these days, why is this so?

Employer metaphor doesn't work in this case: because you want FDEV to say something doesn't imply they have to. And we have to keep in mind there's more than our own contentment in FDEV's decisions, being executive boards, shareholders, marketing strategy regarding internal plannings or competition.

Partially wrong: it's because he's telling lullabies people want to hear and never says "no".

Anyway, Chris clearly shows what he is working on and what he is doing, I watch him only a little less closely than behind the frontiers and I see that much of what was fairy tales yesterday becomes more or less real today.
So, if you are going to hang noodles on my ears about some fairy tales there, please do not waste your time.

I can't see why some of the Frontier team think that telling it's loyal playerbase nothing about a DLC that's coming in 18months time, is a good company strategy.

I wouldn't say it's a good strategy. I too would love they were less cards closed to their chest, would love to relive the thrilling moments of ED alpha, Horizons reveals and teasing glimpses, the whole Frontier Expo event. I just say I respect their ways of doing things because even if I'm not pleased with everything that's been done with ED, I can't unsee the dedication and commitment of this team, and feel they doesn't deserve such ire (all the while other projects get praises even with terrible business strategy, fanciful promises opposed to crippled tier-0 implementations and delays that would have any other studio face manure-tsunami of biblical proportions).

Kudos to the CM team (and mods), may be hard times to work as fusible between a company strategy and a crowd with forks and burning sticks :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom