The Frontier Forums Sub Sim Thread

Looks pretty, and rather unique in its manual approach. Probably not my thing though, as I generally lean towards single player, and in sub sims I'm more interested in the big picture than the menial details (manual sonar identification and fire solutions in Sonalyst sims being a notable exception). Not sure how time compression works either, if even available, and well, again that's part of the 'big picture' that does it for me.

They don't plan on adding player-crewed Destroyers by any chance? That would be a nice throwback to the old DOS Wolfpack. While ahead of its time, time-based hotseat multiplayer for a sub vs DD confrontation was a bit awkward. Sometimes you'd forget to switch the AI back on on one of the subs as the game handed over control to the DD player who would see a stupid sub surfacing for no good reason. :D

Goose4291

Banned
Looks pretty, and rather unique in its manual approach. Probably not my thing though, as I generally lean towards single player, and in sub sims I'm more interested in the big picture than the menial details (manual sonar identification and fire solutions in Sonalyst sims being a notable exception). Not sure how time compression works either, if even available, and well, again that's part of the 'big picture' that does it for me.

They don't plan on adding player-crewed Destroyers by any chance? That would be a nice throwback to the old DOS Wolfpack. While ahead of its time, time-based hotseat multiplayer for a sub vs DD confrontation was a bit awkward. Sometimes you'd forget to switch the AI back on on one of the subs as the game handed over control to the DD player who would see a stupid sub surfacing for no good reason. :D

Oh god I remember Wolfpack on my commodore. Those last D-Day missions were irritating!

Did you ever play cross-play multiplayer with Destroyer Command and Silent Hunter II? It was fantastic.

You still do Sonalyst games then?

Never done the DC/SH2 cross play no, just played SH2 solo, that was an awesome game. On the Sonalyst front however, back in college we used to do some 688(i) coop with a friend of mine (who's in the French navy these days, funnily enough). We competed blind (no idea where the other 688 was) onto whatever hunt target the scenario had. It was frightening when the other player was well ahead of you and would fire a torpedo while you scrambled to figure out where it came from and if it was headed towards you! Been a long time since I launched one of these though, I'll get back to it at some point, but there's so much stuff to play these days... Been tempted by Cold Waters a few times on sale, but everytime I managed to refrain myself as I know I wouldn't invest the time into it any time soon.

Goose4291

Banned
I hadn't seen 'Wolfpack' before.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/494840/UBOAT/

Surely this is the one we are waiting for!

It looks interesting.. Like a 'this war of mine, but on a submarine.

Silent Service
Aces of the Deep
Silent Hunter 1,2,3,4
Janes 688(I)
Cold Waters
Destroyer Command

Any questions? :D

How come you never bothered with the layer Sonalyst ones, like dangerous waters.

Never done the DC/SH2 cross play no, just played SH2 solo, that was an awesome game. On the Sonalyst front however, back in college we used to do some 688(i) coop with a friend of mine (who's in the French navy these days, funnily enough). We competed blind (no idea where the other 688 was) onto whatever hunt target the scenario had. It was frightening when the other player was well ahead of you and would fire a torpedo while you scrambled to figure out where it came from and if it was headed towards you! Been a long time since I launched one of these though, I'll get back to it at some point, but there's so much stuff to play these days... Been tempted by Cold Waters a few times on sale, but everytime I managed to refrain myself as I know I wouldn't invest the time into it any time soon.

Cold Waters is okay.. But it's more simplistic than a sim, sort of like the old red storm rising or Tom Clancy's SSN games. That said as it is easy to pick up and play, like all Killerfish games, it's good nauti-kewl fun.

Cold Waters is okay.. But it's more simplistic than a sim, sort of like the old red storm rising or Tom Clancy's SSN games. That said as it is easy to pick up and play, like all Killerfish games, it's good nauti-kewl fun.

Haha, my bad, meant Dangerous Waters in that context, although Cold Waters looks fun too in a different way.

Pfff, elitist. I wrote my OWN subsim on a Casio programmable calculator. Only 2KB to work with. It had destroyer, depth charges, gun ranging and zeroing-in artillery, convoy, torpedoes, radio detection, little island in a vast ocean of 100 x 100 tiles.

I even had weather planned as DLC...

Fair enough, you win that one! I programmed a torpedo shooting game on a graphical TI-81, but not only was that much later (secondary school, like...), it was also just about visually estimating the angle, in degrees, between your sub and the randomly located ship. No DLC either, but in my defense I had included a cheat code: if you entered pi/7 as the angle, the game would automatically calculate the perfect angle for launch instead.

Fair enough, you win that one! I programmed a torpedo shooting game on a graphical TI-81, but not only was that much later (secondary school, like...), it was also just about visually estimating the angle, in degrees, between your sub and the randomly located ship. No DLC either, but in my defense I had included a cheat code: if you entered pi/7 as the angle, the game would automatically calculate the perfect angle for launch instead.

We should have worked together! TDC DLC! Weather is for casuals. Modelling torpedo solutions is for the real nerds!

Goose4291

Banned
Haha, my bad, meant Dangerous Waters in that context, although Cold Waters looks fun too in a different way.

Yeah, DW is worth a punt. The multiplatform thing is really good, and while not fully developed skimmer ops in the OHP proved a new challenge.

Is that SUBSIM publisher the same folks who run the subsim website ?
That certainly would be interesting.
On phone now, gonna check this out later.
Wouldn't call myself a "massive submarine nerd", but yes, played most submarine games and had an interest in the topic since reading "Das Boot" as a teenager.
Sadly, as far as games go, submarines are so niche these days that almost no developer would attempt reviving the genre.
So, thanks for the headsup.

Goose4291

Banned
Is that SUBSIM publisher the same folks who run the subsim website ?
That certainly would be interesting.
On phone now, gonna check this out later.
Wouldn't call myself a "massive submarine nerd", but yes, played most submarine games and had an interest in the topic since reading "Das Boot" as a teenager.
Sadly, as far as games go, submarines are so niche these days that almost no developer would attempt reviving the genre.
So, thanks for the headsup.

I'm fairly sure it is, I remember seeing an email doing the rounds about a year ago regarding it.

We should try to get some MP Sub or skimmer co-op gaming up and running here, even if it is an offline flotilla thing :D

Top Bottom