Is there anything out here?

You'd think they'd hand place more interesting stuff than the same stuff that is being found in almost every other region of the galaxy that the DW2 route isn't touching...

Wasn't something "new" magically found by a Distant Snoozefest-er earlier today?

Last edited:
This really wouldn't surprise me, give FD's turning of a blind eye to the blatant data-mining of game files by Canonn to magically find new content back in the days of searching for Guardian sites. God knows how many other 'wonderful' discoveries they've made because of data-mining and other such activities. But they get a free pass from FD because it's one of their beloved continued marketing campai..... err sorry, I meant player groups.

FD hand-placing juicy bits of stuff in the path of DW2 as they already know the route the convoy of snoozes will take is something I wouldn't put above them at all. Gotta make it seem like there's all this amazing new content to be found and ramp up that FOMO when in reality there's naff all out there for your average explorer except copy pastes of all the stuff that was found within days or weeks of the AMAZING GAME CHANGING BEYOND CHAPTER FOUR BUY OUR PAINTJOBS AND SHIP KITS.

Aren't you a ray of sunshine. I wonder if all the real life explorers are as suspicious of every discovery they make...

Columbus said:
REALLY GOD?! Just as I was bored stiff and about to ragequit because there's literally nothing out there but the same tired variations on procedural waves, all of a sudden I stumble upon the Americas? YEAH RIGHT!

Last edited:
OK, firstly this is not a whine ... more of an observation.

I am 18,000ly from Sol and still heading out into the black towards the rim, and apart from all the usual bodies and geological POIs, I have seen nothing else, not seen a biological POI for a very long time or a single unusual system phenomena, space madness is starting to set in and I'm seriously thinking of heading back home.

Now I am wondering whether this is to be expected i.e. the further out we get from the centre, the more devoid of life it becomes? Or could it be that Frontier have not bothered to put anything out this far because most cmdrs won't bother venturing out here?

Just wondering what other explorer cmdrs experience is of the outer edges of the galaxy, have you found it similar to me (I may have just been unlucky) or have you found lots of interesting stuff out on the fringes?

I am wondering whether all of the interesting stuff is more towards the centre than the outer rim e.g. maybe DW2 has been "encouraged" by Frontier to head in that direction?

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts / experiences cmdrs?

Welcome to procedurally generated sameness.

Thanks for all the responses cmdrs.

I also had a look at the codex and that confirms there should be BIOs and NSPs with the latter being cited as likely to be in Y-type systems, which made me think.

I had (lazily) filtered my gmap routing to scoopable stars only as I had been plotting very long routes and kept finding that the planner was happily going to let me run out of fuel, and every 4-5 jumps I would have to manually hop to a scoopable which kept resulting in a long route re-plan.

I have changed to shorter routes now <1000ly with no filter, so hoping to increase my chances of seeing something different. I am going to keep going and aim for an outer sector, its going to be few more weekends of playtime before I reach that ... and a very, very long trip home!

OK, firstly this is not a whine ... more of an observation.

I am 18,000ly from Sol and still heading out into the black towards the rim, and apart from all the usual bodies and geological POIs, I have seen nothing else, not seen a biological POI for a very long time or a single unusual system phenomena, space madness is starting to set in and I'm seriously thinking of heading back home.

Now I am wondering whether this is to be expected i.e. the further out we get from the centre, the more devoid of life it becomes? Or could it be that Frontier have not bothered to put anything out this far because most cmdrs won't bother venturing out here?

Just wondering what other explorer cmdrs experience is of the outer edges of the galaxy, have you found it similar to me (I may have just been unlucky) or have you found lots of interesting stuff out on the fringes?

I am wondering whether all of the interesting stuff is more towards the centre than the outer rim e.g. maybe DW2 has been "encouraged" by Frontier to head in that direction?

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts / experiences cmdrs?

Its mostly empty and nearly devoid of anything "interesting" Most people will be lucky to find a few things on their own. Most will turn into tourists (instead of explorers) and visit the codex entries.

Speaking of codex. Its pretty much broken at the moment. I've created several bug reports on it. Sometimes you scan something, it says its a first discovery, creates a new codex entry, then when you log out and log back in, that entry has disappeared and that type (eg anemone) is gone. I've found green tubers, but the scan says its a roseum (pink variety). Those are just my personal experiences, but have heard of many more from other people. Regardless, in all my exploration thus far (since 3.3 was released) and my DW2 trip thus far, I have only found 3 notable phenomena, one anemae type and one tuber type in almost 4 months of exploration. Those are pretty low stats, considering I am scanning everything in a low jump range (under 40Ly) ship.

Thanks for all the responses cmdrs.

I also had a look at the codex and that confirms there should be BIOs and NSPs with the latter being cited as likely to be in Y-type systems, which made me think.

I had (lazily) filtered my gmap routing to scoopable stars only as I had been plotting very long routes and kept finding that the planner was happily going to let me run out of fuel, and every 4-5 jumps I would have to manually hop to a scoopable which kept resulting in a long route re-plan.

I have changed to shorter routes now <1000ly with no filter, so hoping to increase my chances of seeing something different. I am going to keep going and aim for an outer sector, its going to be few more weekends of playtime before I reach that ... and a very, very long trip home!

Systems containing brown dwarfs and persistent POIs will more likely be O-class main star systems. Or at least you'll be more likely to find stuff there. A system with a brown dwarf main star isn't likely to have ever had enough energy density to produce much more than ice balls & the occasional gas giant.

I feel kinda stupid asking this, but how does the Codex work currently, and is it working as intended? I have no real idea what it does. Completely confused.

It shows a record of the types of things you found compared to the types of things anyone has found, and provides one example (presumably the first one anyone discovered, plus the first you discovered) in that region. There are 42 regions. It is possible to discover a new thing not previously recorded in that region.

It shows a record of the types of things you found compared to the types of things anyone has found, and provides one example (presumably the first one anyone discovered, plus the first you discovered) in that region. There are 42 regions. It is possible to discover a new thing not previously recorded in that region.

Just to point out, the onboard Codex displays one of each type per region, the first discovered, plus the one you discover, but the codex actually records everything everyone scans!

For instance is you use the EDSM online codex it reports 236 systems with peduncles in Dryman's Point region, and these are only the ones reported to EDSM, there are probably far more in the Codex master database.

https://www.edsm.net/en/search/syst...lyPopulated/0/radius/65000/sortBy/distanceSol

You can easily find the closest ones to you by entering a specific system in the search box. This is why I always feel it worth scanning all biology, while it may not show in the onboard codex, it is still recorded under your name in the master codex database, and if they expand its functionality it may be important. Personally I have gone 4k-5kly+ without seeing any biology, then come across two types within a few systems of each other, strange how random works sometimes.

Last edited:
This really wouldn't surprise me, give FD's turning of a blind eye to the blatant data-mining of game files by Canonn to magically find new content back in the days of searching for Guardian sites. God knows how many other 'wonderful' discoveries they've made because of data-mining and other such activities. But they get a free pass from FD because it's one of their beloved continued marketing campai..... err sorry, I meant player groups.

FD hand-placing juicy bits of stuff in the path of DW2 as they already know the route the convoy of snoozes will take is something I wouldn't put above them at all. Gotta make it seem like there's all this amazing new content to be found and ramp up that FOMO when in reality there's naff all out there for your average explorer except copy pastes of all the stuff that was found within days or weeks of the AMAZING GAME CHANGING BEYOND CHAPTER FOUR BUY OUR PAINTJOBS AND SHIP KITS.

What content?
Some crystals and trees? Than you might be able to shoot for some mats?

Systems containing brown dwarfs and persistent POIs will more likely be O-class main star systems. Or at least you'll be more likely to find stuff there. A system with a brown dwarf main star isn't likely to have ever had enough energy density to produce much more than ice balls & the occasional gas giant.
I was just going on what the codex said for the NSPs already reported in the sector, it stated "only found in y-class star systems", however I am not filtering any out now so hoping that will increase my chances, but I have reigned in my expectations, don't think I will find any human or alien POIs out this far, no crash sites, guessing they are not procedurally generated but hand-placed in systems closer to the bubble. :-(

FD wouldn’t do that surely?

That would really be pathetic.

Last edited:
I was just going on what the codex said for the NSPs already reported in the sector, it stated "only found in y-class star systems", however I am not filtering any out now so hoping that will increase my chances, but I have reigned in my expectations, don't think I will find any human or alien POIs out this far, no crash sites, guessing they are not procedurally generated but hand-placed in systems closer to the bubble. :-(

Crash sites, the random ones you see around bodies, are proceduarally generated, but there is a procedural bubble around populated areas so once you get far away from any populated system the chances of finding them drop drastically. Persistant alien POI's and persistant human POI's are indeed hand placed, so if you find any out there it will be big news, every explorer intersted in alien and human space presence would be heading your way in a flood!

There have been several other threads that have raised your concerns. Nobody is too sure about this, but it is suspected DW2 is finding stuff by "hand planting" (hush the thought), and similarly with other stuff out at Colonia.

Or it is an entirely random thing, and the statistics of many commanders make it seem that way.
Looking at what's been discovered so far:
- some items can show up basically anywhere (volcanism, bark mounds, etc.)
- a lot of things are region specific (e.g. the various types of mollusc) and may even then only appear in one sub-region
- a lot of things require very specific system types (stars, planets, not other types of stars, in a nebula, etc.)
- most things are fairly rare: any individual explorer is likely to miss them by jumping one system to the side by mistake. (The Zurara took years to find ... but people had searched some pretty nearby systems, just not that one)

So:
- DW2 is almost certainly finding what it finds by being very large. I don't think they've found anything particularly new yet, but they might well do once they get past the core into the much-less-explored north of the galaxy. But if a couple of thousand people checked out one of the other regions on the rim of the galaxy, they'd probably find lots of things between them too.
- the fact that it's the Colonia nebula and not one of the other nebulae in that region which has the Umbrella Molluscs is probably deliberate placement. I suspect that other than the Thargoid and Guardian sites, that may be the only deliberate placement (as opposed to setting up conditions and letting the generator place them).
- travel and exploration are a bit incompatible here: you won't find a surface site that only appears on icy moons in K-class systems if you don't spend a fair amount of time looking at it rather than honking, noting that the spectrum is mostly ice, and jumping on. As below, filtering to scoopables for travel can mean you miss out on a lot of things, too.

This map is getting old, but it's a good way to get an overview of where most of the surface stuff is at:

https://factabulous.github.io/CanonnED3D-Map/Source/poi-data.html

(flick the categories on and off and they're easier to see). Some things are more regional than others.

Penduncle trees are only seen where I don't think there has been that much traffic, whereas Lagrange clouds are mainly found along the path the Colonia (though it cuts off before getting there). This implies that Lagrange clouds are probably in more places, but Penduncle are restricted in their range.

Crystalline shards and Gyre Trees have only been found in the outer areas, Sinuous Tubers only in the centre. Anemones are all over (I left out Bark Mounds as they're also pretty ubiquitous).

So to answer the OP - yes there is stuff at the edge, but the edge is larger than the centre, and less travelled, so stuff may well take longer to find.

Last edited:
Crash sites, the random ones you see around bodies, are proceduarally generated, but there is a procedural bubble around populated areas so once you get far away from any populated system the chances of finding them drop drastically. Persistant alien POI's and persistant human POI's are indeed hand placed, so if you find any out there it will be big news, every explorer intersted in alien and human space presence would be heading your way in a flood!
Thanks cmdr, that is good to know!

This map is getting old, but it's a good way to get an overview of where most of the surface stuff is at:

https://factabulous.github.io/CanonnED3D-Map/Source/poi-data.html

(flick the categories on and off and they're easier to see). Some things are more regional than others.

Penduncle trees are only seen where I don't think there has been that much traffic, whereas Lagrange clouds are mainly found along the path the Colonia (though it cuts off before getting there). This implies that Lagrange clouds are probably in more places, but Penduncle are restricted in their range.

Crystalline shards and Gyre Trees have only been found in the outer areas, Sinuous Tubers only in the centre. Anemones are all over (I left out Bark Mounds as they're also pretty ubiquitous).

So to answer the OP - yes there is stuff at the edge, but the edge is larger than the centre, and less travelled, so stuff may well take longer to find.

Wow thanks, I'll have a good look at that tonight.

BTW, a few months back I passed through a remote system you had tagged, and thought to myself "hey, I've seen factabulous post on the forums, small galaxy"!

Sometimes I wonder what people expect from exploring apart from, well, discovering things.

I, for one, would love to discover a wrecked spacecraft with a datapoint that gives me the location of a star system 200 light years "down" and 1500 light years to the left with a planet that you can land on with another space craft crashed on the surface that has, in the cargo hold, the Laser of a Thousand Truths in it. You'd have to get it an engineer to uncrate it and fit it to your ship but it would certainly make my day. :p

Top Bottom