Is there anything out here?

I, for one, would love to discover a wrecked spacecraft with a datapoint that gives me the location of a star system 200 light years "down" and 1500 light years to the left with a planet that you can land on with another space craft crashed on the surface that has, in the cargo hold, the Laser of a Thousand Truths in it. You'd have to get it an engineer to uncrate it and fit it to your ship but it would certainly make my day. :p

That's already in-game.

I, for one, would love to discover a wrecked spacecraft with a datapoint that gives me the location of a star system 200 light years "down" and 1500 light years to the left with a planet that you can land on with another space craft crashed on the surface that has, in the cargo hold, the Laser of a Thousand Truths in it. You'd have to get it an engineer to uncrate it and fit it to your ship but it would certainly make my day. :p
This ... or alternatively... a thousand light year fsd.

This really wouldn't surprise me, give FD's turning of a blind eye to the blatant data-mining of game files by Canonn to magically find new content back in the days of searching for Guardian sites. God knows how many other 'wonderful' discoveries they've made because of data-mining and other such activities. But they get a free pass from FD because it's one of their beloved continued marketing campai..... err sorry, I meant player groups.

FD hand-placing juicy bits of stuff in the path of DW2 as they already know the route the convoy of snoozes will take is something I wouldn't put above them at all. Gotta make it seem like there's all this amazing new content to be found and ramp up that FOMO when in reality there's naff all out there for your average explorer except copy pastes of all the stuff that was found within days or weeks of the AMAZING GAME CHANGING BEYOND CHAPTER FOUR BUY OUR PAINTJOBS AND SHIP KITS.

One assumes you have proof to back up these claims and accusations?

OK, firstly this is not a whine ... more of an observation.

I am 18,000ly from Sol and still heading out into the black towards the rim, and apart from all the usual bodies and geological POIs, I have seen nothing else, not seen a biological POI for a very long time or a single unusual system phenomena, space madness is starting to set in and I'm seriously thinking of heading back home.

Now I am wondering whether this is to be expected i.e. the further out we get from the centre, the more devoid of life it becomes? Or could it be that Frontier have not bothered to put anything out this far because most cmdrs won't bother venturing out here?

Just wondering what other explorer cmdrs experience is of the outer edges of the galaxy, have you found it similar to me (I may have just been unlucky) or have you found lots of interesting stuff out on the fringes?

I am wondering whether all of the interesting stuff is more towards the centre than the outer rim e.g. maybe DW2 has been "encouraged" by Frontier to head in that direction?

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts / experiences cmdrs?

What I would love to know, is: Are there things to find that are totally new. Not just more bark mounds. For example more things like the mega ships Zurara and GCS Sarasvati that have story and plot, or old derelict stations, or evidence further species, of hints about Raxxla.

Last edited:
Some actual life forms? That you can actually interact with?
Maybe other civilisations than Thargoid or Guardian? Some that aren't hostile?
Abandoned cities?
How about a biodome that blew up? Massive city inside to explore. Even without legs.
There! Plenty of things you COULD do.

400b star systems out there, FDEV have actually placed one of exactly that sort of thing around one of them :eek:

Ok I don't really know that for sure, but they may have, someone may find it tomorrow, or we could play the entire lifetime of the game and not find it, that's a galaxy for you :rolleyes:

This map is getting old, but it's a good way to get an overview of where most of the surface stuff is at:

https://factabulous.github.io/CanonnED3D-Map/Source/poi-data.html

(flick the categories on and off and they're easier to see). Some things are more regional than others.

Penduncle trees are only seen where I don't think there has been that much traffic, whereas Lagrange clouds are mainly found along the path the Colonia (though it cuts off before getting there). This implies that Lagrange clouds are probably in more places, but Penduncle are restricted in their range.

Crystalline shards and Gyre Trees have only been found in the outer areas, Sinuous Tubers only in the centre. Anemones are all over (I left out Bark Mounds as they're also pretty ubiquitous).

So to answer the OP - yes there is stuff at the edge, but the edge is larger than the centre, and less travelled, so stuff may well take longer to find.

I think the edge of the galaxy is much better mapped/discovered than the core, simply there are far less stars out there, and many explorers love to venture to the outer regions.

Some actual life forms? That you can actually interact with?
Maybe other civilisations than Thargoid or Guardian? Some that aren't hostile?
Abandoned cities?
How about a biodome that blew up? Massive city inside to explore. Even without legs.
There! Plenty of things you COULD do.

Frontier need you on the design team cmdr, some great ideas here.

That's already in-game.

Been there, done that. Damn near had it back to Jameson Memorial when suddenly like a hundred vibrating torpedoes came out of nowhere heading straight for me and I felt a great disturbance in the force. All my screenshots? Gone! All my messages to the Pilot's Federation? Ignored! Now I just have the story to tell as I sit at the end of the bar, gazing sadly into a glass of Kongga Ale. :(

OK, firstly this is not a whine ... more of an observation.

I am 18,000ly from Sol and still heading out into the black towards the rim, and apart from all the usual bodies and geological POIs, I have seen nothing else, not seen a biological POI for a very long time or a single unusual system phenomena, space madness is starting to set in and I'm seriously thinking of heading back home.

Now I am wondering whether this is to be expected i.e. the further out we get from the centre, the more devoid of life it becomes? Or could it be that Frontier have not bothered to put anything out this far because most cmdrs won't bother venturing out here?

Just wondering what other explorer cmdrs experience is of the outer edges of the galaxy, have you found it similar to me (I may have just been unlucky) or have you found lots of interesting stuff out on the fringes?

I am wondering whether all of the interesting stuff is more towards the centre than the outer rim e.g. maybe DW2 has been "encouraged" by Frontier to head in that direction?

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts / experiences cmdrs?

Well they patched out a load of unique discoveries (Called Bugs) Rock rain, crazy terrain, unique surface features, awesome orbits and even worlds collide. I do still have a few systems that are worth a visit that have not been patched. On the whole though, it's a utopia of bland, flattened perfect ice world systems.

What I would love to know, is: Are there things to find that are totally new. Not just more bark mounds. For example more things like the mega ships Zurara and GCS Sarasvati that have story and plot, or old derelict stations, or evidence further species, of hints about Raxxla.

Yes, agree totally, hope fdevs are listening.

I think the edge of the galaxy is much better mapped/discovered than the core, simply there are far less stars out there, and many explorers love to venture to the outer regions.
A typical edge stack [1] has about 1000 stars logged in EDSM, while a typical core stack [1] has about 100,000 stars logged.

On the other hand, the core regions have *well* over 1000 times as many stars, so the edges are proportionally better mapped.

(And both are probably 6-10 times as well travelled as EDSM suggests they are)

It depends on how the discoveries are distributed - if one in every thousand stars in the region has something interesting, then they'll be found more quickly in the core, because more stars are getting mapped there. If 0.1% of the stars in the region have something interesting, then they'll be found more quickly on the edges because the search space is smaller relative to the people looking.

[1] A 1280x1280 section of the full height of the galaxy.

Frontier need you on the design team cmdr, some great ideas here.

Not going to happen. Far too much a well-fleshed out video game mechanic and design idea.

Get ready for more tedious mini-games, filling progress bars via menial repetitive tasks and massive timegate mechanics lifted straight from f2p mobile-phone games.

FD have shown they're not capable of anything more. Don't expect them to have magically changed for the 2020 update.

Out of interest what game is it? 'Cause you seem very down on Frontier and Elite.

Recently I've replayed NieR: Automata, and currently I'm playing Devil May Cry 5. I've also been playing through Dark Souls 1,2 and 3 in preparation for Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice coming out next week. For my PvP fix I've been playing yet more Fortnite, Sea of Thieves and Apex Legends for a while but my RTX 2080 had a driver issue with that game so it got left behind until Respawn and Nvidia fix their sh*t.

Top Bottom