The first great planetary expedition : Chi Herculis / Kumay (route planning phase)

If anyone's looking for a job I need better photography of TJB (The Jumble) and also of TCI (The Cliffs Of Insanity)

I've got these now, I'll post them soon.

Cliffs Of Insanity

EreF9hL.jpg

24rdiob.jpg

The Jumble

0jkpEa7.jpg

Pze0OEP.jpg

Last edited:
OK - route map and key now updated with all the latest additions including ZZP, CRM, CCG and NR (note: you may have to Ctrl+F5 to properly refresh yoiur view of this).

http://buckyballracing.org.uk/kumay.html

I'd appreciate it if people could double check their entries on that website as I'm manually editing the HTML and may have made mistakes.

Note: we still need photography for CRM.

Yesterday I flew a bit past the Buttercup Mountains, doesn't look to be much of interest on a straight line from there to the South Pole, but in case someone's ok with an added bit of diversion before heading directly south there's this interesting formation just S-SW of the BCM, I've tentatively called it "The Naga Canyon":

P1QeI3P.jpg

Hs4ZSOz.jpg

Here are some notated aerial photos to put it in context:

Smqh6sW.jpg

ayY1wm6.jpg

If we intend to cross the plain between the Buttercups, we'll head straight for the start of the canyon. Entry point coordinates are around -54.81 / -72.68

7a49xDG.jpg

Following the canyon past the wide turn left to its very end, there's a little stretch of rought terrain that leads into another shallow and straight valley, approximatively oriented in the direction of the SP, but from there one can just aim straight at 180° and go for it.

I've traversed it by ship at moderate speed and ground level with the sun very low on the horizon, the trip can be tricky at times but there are some very nice views when the light is right.

Adding to the spreadsheet.

- EDIT -

Some additional info after further exploration available here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to get some CRM pictures, but in the meantime one thing I noticed about eclypses in Elite engine:
Even if a planet is in shadow of another body, you'll see it as lightened untill you are in the shadow of that body.
It goes further though, because if you are in that shadow and the moon is not - you'll still see it as completely dark (eclypsed) untill you leave the shadow.

Universe truly revolves around you in Elite :)

Yesterday I flew a bit past the Buttercup Mountains, doesn't look to be much of interest on a straight line from there to the South Pole, but in case someone's ok with an added bit of diversion before heading directly south there's this interesting formation just S-SW of the BCM, I've tentatively called it "The Naga Canyon":

Here are some notated aerial photos to put it in context:

If we intend to cross the plain between the Buttercups, we'll head straight for the start of the canyon. Entry point coordinates are around -54.81 / -72.68

Following the canyon past the wide turn left to its very end, there's a little stretch of rought terrain that leads into another shallow and straight valley, approximatively oriented in the direction of the SP, but from there one can just aim straight at 180° and go for it.

I've traversed it by ship at moderate speed and ground level with the sun very low on the horizon, the trip can be tricky at times but there are some very nice views when the light is right.

Adding to the spreadsheet.

Scouted what I thought was a new location today - started much further South but I guess I drifted off course while looking for features and it turns out I just re-scouted the Naga Canyon. Looks terrific!

View from above the big crater at the South looking back towards the Buttercup Mountains ...

PdM5Gnz.png

It is terrific indeed! Yesterday I managed to traverse it all via SRV (albeit in two different sessions), but celestial mechanics got in the way and I had to drive in total dark (just logged in again, and again in total dark [blah]), it's definitely doable, it's basicly made of long and wide stretches of plain ground interrupted by several "dams" with rough terrain or important altitude drop, probably the trickiest bit is just before reaching the wide curve cutting through the larger southern crater, but once past that it's again plain ground and the view of the cliff where the crater is cut is majestic even in night vision alone. Just beware of sudden changes in altitude!

7Dme8AP.jpg

C40aE4f.jpg

Also, don't now if sub-POIs can be a thing, but that very narrow gorge circled toward the center of the canyon in the image below is a must-drive-through: but well'have to make a line, there's hardly space for two rovers side by side!

xCVVQgQ.jpg

The other circle to the right highlights a shallow path out of the bottom, a good exit point if one doesn't fancy to travel the entire canyon to its end (it also looks to get again rather uneven after that).

EDIT - I have to partially correct the image above, the exit point is a bit to the left of where I put the circle actually, it's best seen in your own image:

kRUhOsj.jpg

Last edited:
It is terrific indeed! Yesterday I managed to traverse it all via SRV (albeit in two different sessions), but celestial mechanics got in the way and I had to drive in total dark (just logged in again, and again in total dark [blah]), it's definitely doable, it's basicly made of long and wide stretches of plain ground interrupted by several "dams" with rough terrain or important altitude drop, probably the trickiest bit is just before reaching the wide curve cutting through the larger southern crater, but once past that it's again plain ground and the view of the cliff where the crater is cut is majestic even in night vision alone. Just beware of sudden changes in altitude!

Also, don't now if sub-POIs can be a thing, but that very narrow gorge circled toward the center of the canyon in the image below is a must-drive-through: but well'have to make a line, there's hardly space for two rovers side by side!

The other circle to the right highlights a shallow path out of the bottom, a good exit point if one doesn't fancy to travel the entire canyon to its end (it also looks to get again rather uneven after that).

EDIT - I have to partially correct the image above, the exit point is a bit to the left of where I put the circle actually, it's best seen in your own image:

Could you maybe add a "more info" link to your post above from post #148 (which is where I'm pointing to from the route map website).

More coordinate checking today. First I double-checked the Northern Route craters. While I was there a really weird thing happened. I was hanging vertically over one of the crater mounds (pointing straight down to get the exact coordinates) when suddenly I heard three wake drop bangs and this happened ..

DhEFx8k.png

The three NPC's just flew down around me, mirroring the attitude of my ship and then just hung there. Don't whales do something like this as a mating ritual?

Anyway, then I went off to the "Fire and Ice" mountains, added "Sulphur Peak" as the "fire" waypoint and measured the heights of both mountains ..

z6npX9J.png

UDvsjRM.png

Last edited:
That reminds me.
When you were doing your North Pole vertical pointing thing I saw the same.
The weird thing is you were 32km away.

ei7JTpP.jpg

Good fun with Malibu at the North Pole last night.

First we did some basic surveying of the area to really nail down the position of the Fire ("Sulphur Peak") And Ice ("Manaslu Peak") Mountains.

7jxKxVi.png

Then we measured the distance between the two peaks ..

qyldIWa.png

Then Malibu showed me how you can bounce fireworks off the landscape ..

[video=youtube_share;Zq_3mDwq29I]https://youtu.be/Zq_3mDwq29I[/video]

Then it was time to see if Sulphur Peak was actually climbable.

FS5SYg1.png

It is!

lihVNwD.png

And can I say, Malibu is one hell of a good mountain climber!

And this was the view when I woke up this morning.

Qhz4gu9.png

The North Pole really is a beautiful area, I'm not sure the sun ever actually sets up here.

Y1T0iC6.png

Top Bottom