ANNOUNCEMENT New Forums Release Date and Downtime

You sure 72 hours will be sufficient? We’d not like to start the new forum with the bug reports of the new forum :p

With the ED section being forced to the ED theme, i'm fairly confident that it won't be as much of a problem. :)

Please do not do this. Most websites and books have dark text on a light background for a reason. 20% of males have some form of colour blindness. Light text on a black background is a nightmare for some of us. If this goes ahead I will choose between overriding the CSS or using reddit instead. Note that the UK has accessibility laws that may apply.

Please do not do this. Most websites and books have dark text on a light background for a reason. 20% of males have some form of colour blindness. Light text on a black background is a nightmare for some of us. If this goes ahead I will choose between overriding the CSS or using reddit instead. Note that the UK has accessibility laws that may apply.

Uh, I didn”t know colour blind people have that issue. That’d be major accessibility problem then.

I dont like the idea of us console peasants having to mix with the PC side as 70% of the posts are miserable toerags complaining about the same thing all the time, there is no joy or levity as we have in the xbox side

So long as it's still nice and easy on my eyes with black backgrounds and orange trim you'll still see me posting.

It's lovely having one site other than discord where I don't need to force a colour override which breaks some parts of the page in order to actually be able to make out text.

Black on white is just an internet convention because of a stupid hangover from when more colourful 16-bit GUIs emerged and were all "Hey, we can emulate print media now in our visual presentation of text in word processors! If paper was radioactive, and gave off a glow akin to staring into the sun!"

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
72 hours (?)

For a Forum transition?

*ugh* okay. Take your time guys.

Deleted member 38366

D
Id like to see you guys transfer over a forum that has 1000+ people on it in less amount of time.

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. 3-4 hours, no fancy gimmicks used (basic tools only), all alone and more than once. Coffee breaks included.
Do I get a cookie now? :D

Professionals? Guys who earn their money with it? Live Migration.

- new Forum architecture is setup on a parallel Test Server
- Test server is configured, then synced and from that point on live-fed with converted Posts/Threads from live Server in the background (= live Test environment)
- Testing, Customization and debugging is performed on Test Server as required
- once ready to go live, an Internal IP is switched and the new Forum architecture is online. Within seconds (at worst requires a F5 Browser refresh and typically a new Login for Clients).
- really smart folks at this time keep the old Forum synced with converted Posts/Threads now running on the new Forum, a full rollback is then available virtually at the stroke of a key if things go terribly wrong

Of course you don't have to do it that way.
And maybe there's an extremely unusual Forum architecture in place here that's somehow riddled with deep dependencies and they're physically migrating to an entirely new Server Architecture or something like that.

Either way, 72hrs isn't shiny. Very, very far from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 Days....................are you serious, I have been without ED, going onto 4 months now, Thats A serious time, not 3 days, come on grow a pair, at least you can get back on after the 3 days, I still have about 3 months before i can get back on line

Top Bottom