Planet Coaster is looking good...Almost TOO good....

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
This game NEED UGC, this is what will make all the success of this game.

In 10 months we will know whether UGC is in the game ore not.
That will be the last thing I think they disclose.
That is the million-dollar question [big grin]

Last edited:

Sawyer1

Planet Coaster Ambassador
This is a difficult one.

Do I mind dropping money on full expansion packs? Nope.

Do I mind dropping money left right and centre for little things. Yup.

HOWEVER...

Let's backtrack a few years to when winged coasters had just been released... and let's pretend Planet Coaster has been out 6 months, a full expansion pack is another 6 months away, they then say, they are going to make winged coasters for the game for £3.99. I would buy that because it's strong content. I would be reluctant to pay £2 here and £1 there for very small items however.

You have to remember that Elite Dangerous is a completely different game also.

I think it's a little unfair to be guessing how a company could ruin a game when I think they haven't done a thing wrong, talk to us on a regular basis really do seem to care about this game.

#TEAMPLANETCOASTER

Last edited:
This is a difficult one.

HOWEVER...

Let's backtrack a few years to when winged coasters had just been released... and let's pretend Planet Coaster has been out 6 months, a full expansion pack is another 6 months away, they then say, they are going to make winged coasters for the game for £3.99. I would buy that because it's strong content. I would be reluctant to pay £2 here and £1 there for very small items however.

I honestly still wouldn't buy single game changing items for any price in the proposed scenario. Mostly because it feels safer to me to buy expansions since they are more fair in price.

Last edited:
We've not announced anything on the status of Planet Coaster on whether or not us adding additional store bought items for the game. Please do not assume that if we have something on ProductA that we will do the same and copy it over to ProductB and/or ProductC. [happy]
Oh snap. Things just got real.

This is a difficult one.

I've bought expansions before...for the original RCT, those were nice. I did not buy any for RCT2 though. too wacky. Thankfully frontier isn't going wacky this time around.

I've bought expansions before...for the original RCT, those were nice. I did not buy any for RCT2 though. too wacky. Thankfully frontier isn't going wacky this time around.

Yeah, I made that mistake. Felt really disappointed since RCT2 didn't bring that much new stuff to the table and felt just like this weird HD version of 1.

Cities:Skylines proves you can have both DLCs and UGC.

For example there are no trams/streetcars in the vanilla game, so people modded that into it. People wanted seasons in game, so they modded snowy terrains into their maps.
Now Cities is coming with a new DLC that contains snow and trams. Those mods are available in Steam Workshop for free, but I'm sure people are still buying this DLC. Because it also contains more features which modders didn't think of.

Little note:
Charging money for just skins is ridiculous. Which Frontier is doing for Elite Dangerous. So brace yourself. [mouth shut]

Last edited:
This game NEED UGC, this is what will make all the success of this game.

But user generated content is in Planet Coaster, it's been announced quite a few times and been shown in the last two Dev diarys

Last edited:
In 10 months we will know whether UGC is in the game ore not.That will be the last thing I think they disclose.
You need to look further.

Believe me, they have planned (or not) this key feature during the pre-production phase. It's not something that you just add, like that, at the end of the prod, like "Oh ? Did not we forget one of the most important features of the game ? Oops, let's add what will make us sell millions additional copies at the end of the project". This is not how it works.

We are in 201X, in the sandbox era, people want to create everything, share their own 3D objects, their own mods, their own textures, their own music. A time where the largest PC sales are modular building games (Minecraft, Terraria, Sims3, Garry's Mod, etc...), A time where the "modding" took as much proportion as "indie games". A time where the community have more technical skills that all the teams they follow (The only difference is that these are individual and not a group)

So yes, I want to know what the economic model is, and yes I want to know if they are in the camps of modders, or in the camp of the "fast ROI", because something is EXTREMLY clear : If they "lock" the UGC, it's to give us a disgusting cashshop.

I'm a REALLY a big fan, and I care about this game (and Frontier too) A LOT, and like I already say before, this is not a subject on which I appreciates being teased. This is something too important for that they do not give us a clear and precise answer, about something they know from the beginning of the project.

PS : I dont care if I'm the villain of the story here. This is too important to joke with, and my "blind fanboy" side stops here. There is talk of spending hundreds of euros/dollars in useless objects on a cashshop, that we can create ourselves, and we talk about business practices able to disgust the whole community, and just can destroy a game in a few short years (This would not be the first time in the gaming history).

Even the best developped game EVER can fail just because a bad aggressive economic strategy.
This can be one of the park sim game (if not THE best) so I dont want that for PlanetCoaster.

I'm really worried, yes I need to be reassured, and no I'm not sorry to be.

Cities:Skylines proves you can have both DLCs and UGC.
"Expansion and UGC" and not "DLCs and UGC" !!! It's not the same.

• Expansion : A pack, with many new content (like a large DLC) but also with new gameplay elements, new features and something that can be as big (or nearly as big) as the game itself (New story, new maps, new missions, etc...)
  • DLC : A single downloadable content (something like a skin, a ship, a car, a XP boost, a dress, this king of thing, depending the game)

Personally, i'm definitely for the strategy employed by Paradox here.
It's fair for both sides.

But user generated content is in Planet Coaster, it's been announced quite a few times and been shown in the last two Dev diarys
No.

If I really miss that, then can you say me where exactly please ?

Last edited:
No.

If I really miss that, then can you say me where exactly please ?

Rewarding Creativity: 1 minute 50 seconds - Sam Simper specifically talks about the complexity of implementing "user generated content" into Planet Coaster.

Rewarding Creativity: 5 minutes 50 seconds - John Laws explains that you can create and share your creations... That's user generated content.

Build, Create, Share: 4 minute 29 seconds - John Laws explains the versatility of the creation tools they have created in Planet Coaster. He specifically states that you can share your creations... That's user generated content.

Build, Create, Share: 5 minutes 48 seconds - Sam Denney explains that the content created by the gamers will 'blow us all away, with what they could create because it's so amazing'... That's user generated content.

Build, Create, Share: 6 minutes 5 seconds - David Bamber explains that you will be able to go online, download what someone else has created and use it in your own park... That's user generated content.

Last edited:
Rewarding Creativity: 1 minute 50 seconds - Sam Simper specifically talks about the complexity of implementing "user generated content" into Planet Coaster.
Rewarding Creativity: 5 minute 50 seconds - John Laws explains that you can create and share your creations... That's user generated content.
Build, Create, Share: 4 minute 29 seconds - John Laws explains the versatility of the creation tools they have created in Planet Coaster. He specifically states that you can share your creations... That's user generated content.
Build, Create, Share: 5 minutes 48 seconds - Sam Denney explains that the content created by the gamers will 'blow us all away, with what they could create because it's so amazing'... That's user generated content.
Build, Create, Share: 6 minutes 5 seconds - David Bamber explains that you will be able to go online, download what someone else has created and use it in your own park... That's user generated content.
I guess, we are not talking about the same UGC [rolleyes]

We are talking about "made-in-software objects" like a 3D model, a texture, an animation, a music, etc... that you can import in the game (to make your own themes, your own "what-you-want"), and not the structures made by the players using the game tools.

Last edited:

Rewarding Creativity: 5 minute 50 seconds - John Laws explains that you can create and share your creations... That's user generated content.

No it's not... I mean, maybe technically, but it's not UGC in the manner that people are defining it. UGC means something that people have created in say a 3D modeling program and then imported into the game. We're not talking about you building a house within Planet Coaster and sharing it with your buddy. As a reference, UGC = Custom Scenery, Custom Tracks, Custom Track Cars, Custom Flat Rides that people made for RCT3.

We have a different definition of UGC than Frontier, I think.

To them, UGC = anything the player builds ingame, such as creating structures with the modular building system. Technically that is "user-generated content" because the player created it.

My (and I presume most others) definition of UGC is creating scenery in a 3rd party program (such as Blender, Maya, Sketchup, etc.) and being able to import that into the game.

Brett C has said that they are neither confirming nor denying existence for such support will exist.

Let's not get too carried away about UGC Frontier have not ruled it out completely, as they were talking of a way of hosting it, either with steam workshop, or developing their own method of hosting it, so that it can be monitored properly.
As I mentioned on an earlier post, when we had UGC for RCT3, you had to search and download stuff from all over the place, in many different file formats and many that you had to place manually into the different file folders of the game. Some had their own exe self intall, which put everything into the right place. Later as years went by, half of the UGC was no longer available, because the hosting site was no longer available, ot creators had removed their files.

This is what I think Frontier are thinking about. If you are creative enough to design your own UGC, then let's keep it all in one place, where it will be available to everyone, knowing that any content is virus free and will auto install into your game, without any problems.

This is the way I want UGC to be available for Planet Coaster and this may well turn out the way Frontier will allow it, if they decide to host it. I think we all want UGC at the end of the day, but it needs to be handled so that it is safe and not just download a set of dark ride scenery pieces from Joe Bloggs, from a web site that might not even exist six months later.

You guys:

"What's your take on art/rides/mods made by users in the community?

IF modding is a possibility either from the get go or as time goes by; any pointers on detail level/polycount restrictions/texture size, PBR or Spec/gloss workflow?
Not rides per se, but.. somewhat interesting either way for all of us I guess."

Modding was a big part of what kept RCT3 alive for so many years and that has not gone unnoticed by us. We've been inspired by what the community has managed to create with our game. Some of the things we've seen have been absolutely breathtaking.

I think it's too early to discuss if we'll have modding within Planet Coaster but as I've said, we understand it's potential.

They know what modding/UGC can do. They understand people want it. I don't think there's any way they're building a game where modding isn't allowed.

Yes, exactly, UGC created in 3rd party program is what many many players want and not just a way to create object of our own in-game with use of many predefined things. Hope that we'll have this, because it will be awesome if the community can created custom rides, custom scenery, etc. If Frontier allow this, it will add so much fun, value and possibility to the game.

Let's not get too carried away about UGC Frontier have not ruled it out completely, as they were talking of a way of hosting it, either with steam workshop, or developing their own method of hosting it, so that it can be monitored properly.
As I mentioned on an earlier post, when we had UGC for RCT3, you had to search and download stuff from all over the place, in many different file formats and many that you had to place manually into the different file folders of the game. Some had their own exe self intall, which put everything into the right place. Later as years went by, half of the UGC was no longer available, because the hosting site was no longer available, ot creators had removed their files.

This is what I think Frontier are thinking about. If you are creative enough to design your own UGC, then let's keep it all in one place, where it will be available to everyone, knowing that any content is virus free and will auto install into your game, without any problems.

This is the way I want UGC to be available for Planet Coaster and this may well turn out the way Frontier will allow it, if they decide to host it. I think we all want UGC at the end of the day, but it needs to be handled so that it is safe and not just download a set of dark ride scenery pieces from Joe Bloggs, from a web site that might not even exist six months later.
Yep.

Seriously I really want to know more about this "hypothetical homemade content manager" ...

The "teasing" starts last a little longer ...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom