New Modern/Flat UI?

Oh, and an option to search, so it's much faster than scrolling.
OH!! In Anno 2050 (perhaps the older as well, I don't know) they had sort of a 'quick menu' for buildings. Drag-and-drop the pieces you need quick access to at the moment.

So instead of opening the menu all the time, or leaving a big chunk of the screen locked in with a ton of UI, it would be a breath of fresh air to have 5-10 slots where you can temporary save building blocks. Straight walls, walls with windows, corners etc. Fast building, fast iteration, without the UI coming in the way.
+1 [squeeeeee]
200w.gif

elwindewitte, your second one looks better than the first, but the official one is still better. As its a simulation game Im going to play with mouse and keyboard near my screen I dont want huge or big icons. Small clean interface is the way to go, the smaller it is, the more number of scenery or elements you can add without any need of scrolling. Zoo Tycoon's interface was made for a controller and be sit on a sofa far awys from the tv. It doesnt work well for a only PC game.

The only think it needs right now, is a search function, and I will be happy. Love also how it displays the climate of the day.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the feedback. I've combined several ideas of you: more contrast, smaller (more suited for PC), no click click click click click look search click click when you could click and done..

So, here it is:

http://insider.harwindesigners.nl/Planet Coaster UI (1).png

http://insider.harwindesigners.nl/Planet Coaster UI (2).png

I personally appreciate the current UI, but I think we can make it 'wow' if we combine all our ideas.
looks nice!
still don't like the rides ui though, I'm not sure why,[blah][blah][blah]
maybe because it's a bit too big?

Last edited:
Yes, some sort of favourites, or recents, could reduce the friction on certain tasks a lot.

I think something like LittleBigPlanet's creation tools are something worth looking at as well, though having a lot of options in menubars is definitely a plus to having a mouse and keyboard, another way to look at it is clicking a piece of ground or an object and drilling down through categories to choose what you want. I think that can be more creative, since your options fold out in front of you, and you might do something different to what you initially had in mind.

elwindewitte, your second one looks better than the first, but the official one is still better. As its a simulation game Im going to play with mouse and keyboard near my screen I dont want huge or big icons. Small clean interface is the way to go, the smaller it is, the more number of scenery or elements you can add without any need of scrolling. Zoo Tycoon's interface was made for a controller and be sit on a sofa far awys from the tv. It doesnt work well for a only PC game.

The only think it needs right now, is a search function, and I will be happy. Love also how it displays the climate of the day.

I agree [up]

Hopefully modding is supported, so there is no concerns about UI for everyone

Top Bottom