ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

We’re very pleased to announce that the next update for Elite Dangerous, the April Update, will release on... Tuesday 23 April 2019!

As mentioned in the beginning of March, this year's initial updates will focus on introducing quality of life improvements and improving the welcoming experience for beginners. This update brings with it two new modules to help get you out there, engaging in and exploring all that there is to discover - as well as ensure that you're able to access in-game information and training from the seat of your cockpit!

Hey Frontier, thank you for this great update, looks like lots of fun changes. I'm really glad you're taking time to make the game more approachable to more casual gamers while leaving everything in tact for those of us who have been around since the beginning. E:D is a fantastic game and should be played by many more people, reducing the learning curve should greatly expand the user base!

Looking forward to DW3 with 60k+ commanders!

Free module slots for everyone!

With the introduction of these new modules, small ships will be outfitted with two additional size one Optional Internal slots, while medium and large ships will also receive one additional Optional Internal slot. This will automatically and retroactively apply to all relevant ships.

Im not sure I quite under stand this. Small Ship get Two Size1 Module Slots but Mediums get One Size1 and there's no mention of Large Ships. Are people really having more issues with small ships over mediums and larges? I would think that the Larger Ships would need these additions more so then any small ship ever would. As the Large ships tend to have more mass and slower vectoring (pitch/yaw/roll/turn rates) The only thing I can see this being for is NPC's as some kind of a work around so they stop getting stuck in the mail slot its not like they have issues dropping out of Super Cruise as they can already drop out right on top of players. How about we give the same advantage to the other non small vessel users here. Lastly why are these being introduced as more modules and not just simple ship functions!?

Last edited:
OMG Hud is doomed!
flsoh4vfm3421.jpg

Ouch!! Some good ideas, many bad ones as well....

Can we have the auto docking module set up so that the higher the player rank, the increased likelyhood that the AI will go AWOL and cause an accident.
Frontier like their RNJ so introducing a little bit of this by the MOM to keep experienced players on their toes would i feel be worthwhile. ;)

I would expect the Auto docking computer to be perfectly behaved in the noob zone.

Overall i like the new additions as one of the things ive noticed from negative reviews are the sheer volume of people who buy the game and then refund after an hour in the game as its just too daunting for them. Letting them take their first baby steps will hopefully give them time to get used to the basics and get hooked on the game.

It will be interesting though to see if down the line we have the pre Beyond players who fly manually, and the post Beyond who are all in automatics.

I hope Frontier put in a rule that limits the number of commander resets you can do, that auto populates you into the noob zone. This would reduce instances of Griefers buying an account then just constantly resetting their commander once it reached the threshold for leaving the noob zone through ranking up.

I already have a stream being planned around this update, with a fresh account ready to go... betting I figure out some significant flaws within a single stream.
I'm not one for watching ganking, but we all know there will be "significant" flaws and that it will be awesome. Can't wait.

According to you then mastering chess, which has "high time and dedication requirements," Would mean that it "only guarantees a certain demographic, namely the basement-dwelling teens and manchilds with little or no real world responsibilities. "

I think that was a reductio ad absurdum argument because I can tell you, it's possible to become a master in chess without throwing away your life, in fact, Emmanuel Lasker was the longest reigning world chess champion yet he had a doctoral degree in mathematics, that doesn't fit "the basement-dwelling teens and manchilds with little or no real world responsibilities." criteria and let me tell you, becoming a world chess champion demands far more time investment than most (or maybe all players) have invested in ED.

Super Cruise Assist is going to make the Hutton Run a lot more bearable lol. Currently I just line up and use the head look switch so that I can move my mouse without accidently moving my ship off course. I too am curious about how it will work with interdiction since it controls the throttle input as well. Will it automatically throttle zero and submit? What if you set it and walk away will it just drive you around your target station until you come back or will it automatically drop you out of SC near the station and just leave you there? What degree of interaction is required?

I love that we are getting new module slots in all the ships! I hate that some of the stuff you have to carry for mining like a surface scanner for rings loses the data about the rings if you take the scanner off. Why isn't that data stored in your ships computer? Seems like once you have the map of the hotspots on the rings you shouldn't need to carry that module and can replace it with a prospector or an extra collector on your next run. It will be super helpful in the smaller ships running for mining.

I do like the new docking computer. It will be great for folks who are new to the game. I know when I first started I was terrible at finding the correct part of a Coriolis to enter no matter how many times people tried to tell me different tricks to it. I did eventually sort it out and no longer need one, but that is a barrier to entry for a lot of players. The game isn't overly complicated, but the game really does lack a lot for new players so it's good to see they are making the entry smoother so people don't just abandon the game immediately because they can't figure it out with the extremely limited guidance we have now.

Im not sure I quite under stand this. Small Ship get Two Size1 Module Slots but Mediums get One Size1 and there's no mention of Large Ships.
Large ships are mentioned in the sentence you quoted - "... while medium and large ships will also receive one additional ..."

Medium and large generally have plenty of slots already, relatively speaking. I assume the logic goes as follows:
- Frontier need to add 2 extra size 1 to the Sidewinder so it can fit the two autopilots
- but if they do that, it'll be better for internals than almost all the other small ships, so they need 2 extra as well
- and then the smaller medium ships are looking a bit underfed compared with the bigger smalls (Cobra III at 6+2 > Asp at 7), so they need an extra 1 to keep up (their larger existing internals mean they don't need two size 1s, though)
- and then the large ones need an extra as well to stop the big mediums (especially the Python) outdoing them.

I hope Frontier put in a rule that limits the number of commander resets you can do, that auto populates you into the noob zone. This would reduce instances of Griefers buying an account then just constantly resetting their commander once it reached the threshold for leaving the noob zone through ranking up.
Well, even then it's an improvement on now - at the moment, an attacker can use a fully engineered warship. If they can't gain any Trade or Exploration rank, they're very limited on what equipment they can use, basically can't engineer, etc.

Sure, an experienced pilot in a Freewinder will stomp a beginner in a Freewinder without difficulty - but it's still a more even fight. And Freewinders have zero rebuy, of course.

That said, I agree there's no need for a reset account to have access to it at all - an experienced player in a Freewinder can look after themselves versus the game anyway.

Top Bottom