ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

On PS4, less than half the players ever upgrade from a Sidewinder. That suggests they get frustrated and quit before learning how to fly "gud". I'm sure Stephen Curry and his wife and shoot 3-pointers all day, but that doesn't mean everyone is gifted like this. So don't take this wrong (I like you, you're my shadow guy), but I'm guessing Frontier is more interested in helping the 52% of players who really struggle to learn the game than they are you and your gifted wife, especially since these "training wheels" are optional.

You're right of course. I'm selling my classic rock collection and stocking up on Abba. (sorry, couldn't think of any current pop acts).

What you're describing is a method of evolving the game by virtue of ineptitude.

The ultimate result of which is:

CLICK BUTTON TO WIN GAME.

:)

Hate to sound like the grinch that ate Brexit but..how about 5 QoL improvements that might help...

1) The galmap doesn't try and replot your route just because you change map config
2) An engineered upgrade to heatsinks and shield cell banks that allow them to be set to fire automatically until depleted
3) The option to offload more than one slot at a time when outfitting your ship up to an including 'empty all slots' so you can reload all slots without watching the same scene again and again and...
4) Fixing the Anaconda HUD so you can actually read the planets gravity on approach
5) Being able to scan the information bar history in the top right panel....

just some thoughts

Thank you for the update on the upcoming changes. I'm really happy some QOL improvements are coming our way.

If we're on the topic of QOL improvements, may I suggest an overhaul of the bookmarks system for a future update? IMO bookmarks could really need some improvements.
Like increasing the number of bookmarked systems, better representation of the bookmark on the galaxy map (the system name really doesn't tell that much), the ability to categorize the bookmarks (with folders and color codes), and the ability to create a limited set of 'favorite' bookmarks that can directly be accessed from the Nav panel without opening the galaxy map.

Cheers.

If we're on the topic of QOL improvements, may I suggest an overhaul of the bookmarks system for a future update? IMO bookmarks could really need some improvements.

Would still love to see the ability to supercruise between systems added, too. I know it's a crazy thing to do - though it makes more sense near galaxy centre where stars are closer together - but for me would knit the galaxy together lovely and it's a mission my wing would definitely attempt.

3) The option to offload more than one slot at a time when outfitting your ship up to an including 'empty all slots' so you can reload all slots without watching the same scene again and again and...

Are you talking about the "Store Multiple" feature that is already in game? You can already empty your ship that way.

What you're describing is a method of evolving the game by virtue of ineptitude.
The ultimate result of which is:
CLICK BUTTON TO WIN GAME.
We've had "click button to win" since 3.3 if not earlier, due to the massive inflation in credit payouts for mining and exploration. I'm personally not a fan of the "Winder to Conda in a Day, Shinrarta in a week" progression that this credit inflation brings, but I do like the new flight aids. I love to drive my SUV, but you bet your grandma's bonnet I put it in cruise control when driving long stretches of highway. If it had automatic parallel parking like the new models, I'd use that too.

The irony is the fast progression that credit inflation gives new players means that they'll be out of their safe playbox in a day, and griefers will be having a grand time interdicting Harmless Condas out of autopiloting supercruise while these new pilots frantically scream, "Where's the override, the override!?!?" (Original Khan)

Our name for the previously announced 'Community Events'. These are series of in-game events that play out over the course of around a month. Each one features several phases that will alter as the narrative progresses, and may end with lasting effects on the galaxy. We'll be delving deeper into these in just a couple of weeks.
What does the last sentence mean? "A couple of weeks" is longer than the period to the release of this content, right? So we don't get this events with release?

Having now read some lore about elite I think that Elite is straying from its cannon. Space is a naturally dangerous and hostile environment, add humans to this toxic cocktail and one has a lethal environment, yet FDev is adding to the danger by removing the necessity for new pilots to learn flying skills, this is counter productive and lends a false sense of security, new players should be encouraged to learn flying skills, not be monkeys at a panel.

I now realise that encountering a open elite pvp'r is the pinnacle of flying achievement as per lore, they could be pirates, griefers, assassins, or mercenaries, all dangerous and essential to game play. Open Space is a dangerous place and there should never be safe zones. Keep Open AS PER LORE. If you want to learn stay in Solo, or Foxtrot Oscar to a remote area in open.

Last edited:
Thank you for the update on the upcoming changes. I'm really happy some QOL improvements are coming our way.

Like increasing the number of bookmarked systems, better representation of the bookmark on the galaxy map (the system name really doesn't tell that much), the ability to categorize the bookmarks (with folders and color codes), and the ability to create a limited set of 'favorite' bookmarks that can directly be accessed from the Nav panel without opening the galaxy map.

Cheers.

bookmarks definitely need some love, and whilst at it, the option to dump bookmarks to a txt file, as well as upload bookmarks FROM a txt file would be fab imo

….

One or two extra slots sounds great, doesn't it? Sure it does. But there's something you're missing here - those modules that you're already planning on cramming in those slots have mass. More mass means less jump range. Less jump range means more jumping, more jumping means more threads about how "grindy" it is to play a game about flying a ship around in space.

So I must ask, out of consideration for all of us, even those of us over two months away from the nearest inhabited system, that some consideration be given to base jump ranges. My ship, now far, far, far from the nearest public restroom, suddenly sprouts a new module slot, which in turn grows a brand new module, but I haven't been able to adjust for this, and I may not be able to make the jump to the next nearest system, as the stellar density where I am makes me think about every single jump I make - can I go past it, or will I have to double back and pick an alternate route? Or will I simply be stranded?

I would say a small increase to the base jump range of all ships, just enough to offset the new mass, or for those who still haven't left their beginning neighborhoods, to compensate for the additional slots and potential mass that did not exist when the base jump ranges were determined, is not out of line here.

Community? What say you?

Frontier, what say you?

I say you missed something in the original post, the only ships that will have new modules added are new ships existing ones will only get the empty slots, an empty slot will not affect your jump range.

If you can fit a new module in the slot then you are at a station and so will if you are allied with the controlling faction have access to the restrooms.

So no there is no need to increase jump ranges.

Last edited:
Wow - awesome news!

This will really help new players!

Beginners' Zone

A new collection of systems has been added for newly-created Commanders, and can only be accessed by pilots until they earn their first Combat, Trade or Exploration rank. In addition, the authorities here will provide simpler missions that even the smallest of Sidewinders can complete.

Across the galaxy, new Commanders will also have a reduced rebuy until they gain their first Combat, Trade or Exploration rank, a step in the path towards greatness!

This is awesome, however currently it only takes a mission or two to hit your first rank?

Might be better to give them access a little longer?

New Modules

Advanced Docking Computer
The Advanced Docking Computer will not only allow you to dock, but also allow you to automatically undock from a station without anxiously worrying about getting stuck inside the mail slot. Let's face it, it will also help with those embarrassing Type-10 spoiler moments!​
This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased small ships. If you're starting up a new account, you will find the Advanced Docking Computer in your ship from the get-go - making it easier for you to embark and disembark from your favourite stations without colliding with the walls, landing pads or your fellow Commanders.​

This is great stuff!

I know of many people who quit playing early on because of docking, so this will really help new players.

Plus, as a streamer I like to use the Docking Computer to give me time to chat with viewers and grab a refreshment ;-)

Question: Will all existing Docking Computers be upgraded, or will they still be an option along with the new Advanced DC?

Supercruise Assist
While in Supercruise, you'll be able to target a destination and activate Supercruise Assist, putting your safety in the reassuring hands of a machine. In this mode, your ship will automatically maintain the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and break out of Supercruise at the optimum time. You'll still have to align with the correct location, but you will no longer have to worry about doing a loop of shame!​
With the the Supercruise Assist, you will also be able to enter into orbit around a body - allowing you to launch discovery probes and take screenshots without the fear of face-planting the dusty, rocky ground.​
This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased ships.​

Awesome!

I had proposed Throttle Assist to help eliminate "E Turns" (i.e. turn of shame) which I know many new players struggled with.

It's also a problem for me when streaming as occasionally the chat will distract me and I miss my throttle down point :-(

Free module slots for everyone!
Navigation Tab
Pilot's Handbook
Trading Screen Improvements
Interstellar Initiatives

Our name for the previously announced 'Community Events'. These are series of in-game events that play out over the course of around a month. Each one features several phases that will alter as the narrative progresses, and may end with lasting effects on the galaxy. We'll be delving deeper into these in just a couple of weeks.

Extra module slots are always welcome!

Navigation tab, Pilots Handbook, I. Initiatives all sound really cool

Question - While I like the Buy Sell changes, will we get a "Sell All" button?

Keep up the good work FDev!

o7

I would say that most ppl crying over this new features, are simply starting a storm in a tiny cup of water... For no valid reason!

Yes i agree with one thing after reading some of the concernes, that adding 2 slots to small ships and 1 to medium and heavy ships, despite being class 1, might tip the balance on some builds for sure, especially the ones that are dedicated to combat alone, but that could be fixed, even doe, if the other guy does it, why u dont do it also, and all will be in the same level again?
But the new equipment, u stick it in your ship if u want to, if u dont want to, u dont! Its not like its being imposed on you!

Only ones that get it from scratch is the new players, that lets face it, most struggle to even take off without blowing themselves up, let alone landing... So "wheelies" for them is a good thing, not a bad thing!

As for player skill...
A Elite player will always be a elite player, and a noob will always be a noob and a easy prey for the winers here, also anyone flying a ship dedicated to combat will have it easy vs ppl (like me) that dont fly those, so i dont get the crying around here.

This update was said in advanced that would focus on the new player, so for me, the "old" players should simply shut up and dont be such "madonnas" about it.

A online game is a business!
U make profit, the game stays on, new players come in, game grows and keeps online, players dont come in, the ones in leave, game dies off, and where will u be them hum?!
"Make it hard , its a game for only a few" stick to that and u will kill the game quick them ull cry me a river cause u cant play it anymore, and whos fault was it? FD?!

Take a good look at what happened to other games, for instance BSGO, it died, cause the developers at one stage went with the flow of the winers, and did what they wanted, it was called the Update 16, in that day, 3/4 of the player base went away to never return, and from them on it was downhill all the way, until it ended this year.

This game is huge, as place for all, and many diferent play styles and lore, let it stay as is, and if it now offers a new nich of players a chance to enter it too, let it be, the fresh blood is what keeps the money rolling in and the game online.

Bottom line:

Dont look only at your belly and your needs and wishes and respect the others, they are entitled to play this too.

Surely it has to be more difficult to build a scripted, semi intelligent level feedback tutorial when there's the potential of some other random player wandering into the instance and, do newbs really need to try and deal with the comms panel before they can get off the launch pad?

I've been a volunteer knowledge base helper / new player guide in another MMO for many years and the "I just skipped the tutorial" questions were always the same. After a while you could tell where they skipped it, and exactly what barrage of inevitable questions were coming next.

Getting the newbs to actually stay in and finish the tutorial, for their own benefit made a huge difference to how long they'd typically stay since there wouldn't always be live help available despite a dedicated, global /help channel that everyone had access to when newbs got frustrated.

So, use the opportunity to teach them the differences between OPEN, PG and SOLO by keeping them locked all on their own in SOLO for at least an hour, warn them there will be a test and run them through the whole tutorial stack until they can complete at least 80% of the basics.

Excuse the massive hand holding as simulator based training and make sure they complete it at least once before a 'skip' option is considered. People have dealt / will deal with this kind of entry requirement when getting a drivers license, flying a ballistic missile should be more strict.

Prominently displayed in the FAQ:
Q. OMG this tutorial is soo boring, can I skip it!?
A. No! Rest assured you'll thank us later, rookie!

Last edited:
Top Bottom