The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

I've seen some of Dig's videos before, he has the most relaxing voice I've ever heard for a streamer and his productions pretty good on most videos.

I am pretty sad to see him trotting out comparisons against elite though, it gives the impression that SC is some kind of finished game that can stand toe to toe with Elite right now and its going to make people not in the know buy in.

He really seemed to push at the Elite Community's frustration and dreams specifically but fails to mention that sc isn't really a game or that it doesn't have a universe. Or that its main focus is currently Roberts single player movie mode. It kind of says paid shill to me.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I've seen some of Dig's videos before, he has the most relaxing voice I've ever heard for a streamer and his productions pretty good on most videos.

I am pretty sad to see him trotting out comparisons against elite though, it gives the impression that SC is some kind of finished game that can stand toe to toe with Elite right now and its going to make people not in the know buy in.

He really seemed to push at the Elite Community's frustration and dreams specifically but fails to mention that sc isn't really a game or that it doesn't have a universe. Or that its main focus is currently Roberts single player movie mode. It kind of says paid shill to me.

You do not need to be a paid shill to try and show some the best aspects of something while hiding some of the main issues. Lots of non paid fans do it for free already. Cant blame the guy, he is also probably trying to grow his audience a la OA, nothing wrong with that yet.

Last edited:

Not a bad video, he hits on some good points. As SC continues to make progress, I expect more and more videos comparing space games, to include NMS.

The real comparison will be 2020, as we will see both games getting flushed out more. In the mean time, people have to decide if they want airplanes in space, with a great solar system (Elite), or space legs and 1 unfinished system (SC), or a combination of both survival game (NMS).

I think 2019 will start to see a separation of gamers more than 2018.

It was the classic comparison done by placing emphasis on what SC has that ED doesn't have (eg walking around), ignoring what ED has that SC doesn't have (the galaxy) or minimising the impact of the differences (flight model). Hardly unbiased.

The real comparison will be 2020,(...)
I think 2019 will start to see a separation of gamers more than 2018.

I heard that quote before... Oh yeah almost every year since 2012. Next year is certainly going to be when SC starts being a real game and can be compared with other, full featured, released games. Certainly. See you next year for a repetition of that same message :)

I heard that quote before... Oh yeah almost every year since 2012. Next year is certainly going to be when SC starts being a real game and can be compared with other, full featured, released games. Certainly. See you next year for a repetition of that same message :)

Ah, another Elite fanboy that lives in the past.

Flight model: SC is coming out on top. Decoupled vs FA off. The other modes are for girls, joking. But, being a dual stick guy, FA on killed me in Elite. So restrictive.

Universe: ED kills it

Trading: ED has more places to trade, but, SC has fidelity of trade. Ability to see cargo.

Exploring: ED, but, lots of marbles out there that cannot he landed on, yet.

Subset of exploring: SC wins planets views and fidelity again. Look at comparisons of geysers.

Bounty hunting: shoot one ship, you shoot them all, IMO. Of course ED has a significantly better flushed out system.

Mining: draw, IMO.

Of course Elite has a more fleshed out system of game play.

We can go on and on. But, the bottom line. We will see in 1 year. Either way, I’m excited for 2020. If Elite fixes what’s wrong with the game and bugs that have been around since day one, it could be the big winner, IMO. However, if SC gets Stanton finished out, SQ42 to beta and another system or two done, it could be the big winner.

2020 is a good year for the space games

"When Alpha 3.0 arrives in Dec 2016, with full seamless Stanton system, Elite's dead" - fun times :)

Now only Salvage might arrive this year, and barely any AI. No roadmapped repair, farming, science, exploration, aliens, faction warfare, VR, server meshing... :(

With Sq42 around 3 months behind schedule, how long until more PU devs get transferred over to try accelerate its dev?

Flight model: SC is coming out on top. Decoupled vs FA off.
Just one problem: SC does not have a flight model. It has a movement system that deliberately removes all flight parameters and circumvents all physics simulation so as to replicate a laggy no-clip rather than anything remotely resembling flight. Flight is simply not modelled, unless you water down the term to such uselessness that you can include Super Mario Sunshine to have something it could compare favourably against.

Also, top tip: just because you can't manage the controls of a game does not mean it's worse, especially not when your “superior” pick is actually just point-and-click. In fact, the supposed restrictiveness you're struggling against is the exact reason why it's an infinitely better model: because something is actually being modelled as opposed to nothing.

We can go on and on. But, the bottom line. We will see in 1 year.
You keep ignoring that niggling little problem that, if we pick 2020, we already know that SC remains far far far far behind, per CI±G🇵🇦's own admission. SC will not be out. SQ42 will not be out. Until they are, we can indeed go on and on and conclude that CIG's offering falls behind in every way against anything it could conceivably be compared against.

2020 is a good year for the space games
Lol no.

Ah, another Elite fanboy that lives in the past.

We also saw statements like that last year and the year before, and the year before that.

I'm waiting for a released game, one where they stop taking "pledges/donations" and say "this is it, this is Star Citizen". FD did that 4 years ago to mixed reactions. CIG are avoiding that because they simply can't release now, and not for years.

This has nothing to do with being a fan of Elite, I think most Elite fans would welcome another space game.

This is entirely to do with the history of development of SC and the backers proclaiming year after year "this is the year". Give it a few more years and it will be as trite as Linux fans declaring this year is the year of the linux desktop.

Let's be realistic here, considering the current feature set, the speed of development, and what is realsitically needed to get a MVP out of the door, there is simply no way SC can release within the next 2 years, especially with all the focus on SQ42 at the moment. The backers of course would do victory laps if it was released, but at that point, unless they break their promises and contine with ship sales (no longer pledges), their funding will dry up. Few will pay for a "released" product that is as half finished as SC is. By not releasing, they shield themselves from a lot of a criticism, or at least they get to deflect it, because ITS ALPHA! At some point, that has to stop.

Just one problem: SC does not have a flight model. It has a movement system that deliberately removes all flight parameters and circumvents all physics simulation so as to replicate a laggy no-clip rather than anything remotely resembling flight. Flight is simply not modelled, unless you water down the term to such uselessness that you can include Super Mario Sunshine to have something it could compare favourably against.

Also, top tip: just because you can't manage the controls of a game does not mean it's worse, especially not when your “superior” pick is

I swear Star Citizen makes people crazy. He's talking about control and gamefeel but you're trotting out hokey arguments about what's supposedly being simulated under the hood.

Protip: Elite doesn't have a flight model either just a bunch of bespoke pitch roll and acceleration variables just like Star Citizen. This has been definitively proven over and over again - it's a game and everything is shortcuts to get us to "good enough".

If you prefer the way Elite feels that's fine but you'll have to do better than arguing on simulationist grounds. I hope I'm wrong but I can't help but assume your favorite fighting game is Clang! favorite sports game is QWOP and favorite FPS is Receiver.

We also saw statements like that last year and the year before, and the year before that.

I'm waiting for a released game, one where they stop taking "pledges/donations" and say "this is it, this is Star Citizen". FD did that 4 years ago to mixed reactions. CIG are avoiding that because they simply can't release now, and not for years.

This has nothing to do with being a fan of Elite, I think most Elite fans would welcome another space game.

This is entirely to do with the history of development of SC and the backers proclaiming year after year "this is the year". Give it a few more years and it will be as trite as Linux fans declaring this year is the year of the linux desktop.

Let's be realistic here, considering the current feature set, the speed of development, and what is realsitically needed to get a MVP out of the door, there is simply no way SC can release within the next 2 years, especially with all the focus on SQ42 at the moment. The backers of course would do victory laps if it was released, but at that point, unless they break their promises and contine with ship sales (no longer pledges), their funding will dry up. Few will pay for a "released" product that is as half finished as SC is. By not releasing, they shield themselves from a lot of a criticism, or at least they get to deflect it, because ITS ALPHA! At some point, that has to stop.

Spot on. As they bring in backers, not ship purchases, they will be held more accountable then they have been.

And venture capitalists want their return.

Edit: I’m not big into game design, but, it seems COG could make money not just on the product, but, on the process of design.

While SC could put them on the map, their procedures could land them out sourcing jobs. Think, animations, etc.

Last edited:
Spot on. As they bring in backers, not ship purchases, they will be held more accountable then they have been.

But then we're staring at a classic case of 'release before it's done' right? The thing that CIG sought to avoid with crowdfunding.

I think you're right, that the investors will and can demand game launches and paydays. Whether that means a decent product is still up in the air though. (And given the current functionality of the PU, the tech required for SQ42, and the timeframes likely to be involved, I'd say it's looking pretty wobbly personally)

Edit: I’m not big into game design, but, it seems COG could make money not just on the product, but, on the process of design.

While SC could put them on the map, their procedures could land them out sourcing jobs. Think, animations, etc.

Seems a stretch. Their animation is based on outsourced mocap work, expressed through a little-used engine (Lumberyard), and they'll need all their animators working to get the game out, not contracting for others to support use of their internal tools or whatever. Not something that's likely to smooth the funding path to SC's launch at any rate.

First two paragraphs: yes.

Second two paragraphs: companies who complete tasks get contracts. Apart from the ship marketing, CIG don't have a single complete production chain in place.

But then we're staring at a classic case of 'release before it's done' right? The thing that CIG sought to avoid with crowdfunding.

I think you're right, that the investors will and can demand game launches and paydays. Whether that means a decent product is still up in the air though. (And given the current functionality of the PU, the tech required for SQ42, and the timeframes likely to be involved, I'd say it's looking pretty wobbly personally)

Seems a stretch. Their animation is based on outsourced mocap work, expressed through a little-used engine (Lumberyard), and they'll need all their animators working to get the game out, not contracting for others to support use of their internal tools or whatever. Not something that's likely to smooth the funding path to SC's launch at any rate.

Good points. But, again things have changed. Even the launch of 3.4 to 4.5 has changed significantly.

In stocks, the best time to buy them is when they are on life support, which we all know CIG was. Roberts did what he had to do to sure up the company. Most CEO’s would have done something similar.

Now he will perform or else, as he is not just playing with house money. This, my expectations are that things will improve, potentially even speed up. But, I’m not holding my breath.

In the mean time, I get to fly my jpgs in space, SC, Elite, NMS, Space Engineers, or KSP.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom