Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

First few thoughts were “It’s a trap!”

Then came the doubts, such as are you sure the signal isn’t from beyond there.

I suspect what you are looking at is some debris from a ship seeing as the signal is focussed at the top of the band and there is nothing on the scanner, but not one with anything left to interact with.

But it could still be a trap.

This one made me rub my chin in thought. I was on a planet getting a good signal on the scanner - sounded like a "bweep" like a very short chirp from one of the Clangers (if anyone can remember them!). As I approached, I saw as you can see in the shot below. However, there was nothing to scan or scoop. It looked like wreckage of some sort but I wondered why the scanner was bleeping when there was nothing there. Any ideas, CMDRs?

It is just the debris. You can't interact with it but it still registers on the wavescanner. I often find this after cleaning-out a cache for example.

From the description of the sounds, you could check you haven't got a budgie smuggled aboard.:)
Maybe if you scout around a bit you might find more debris.If you recall your ship and take it up to a couple of klicks you can use the mark 1 and emissives to locate the source.

I've been taking a short break the last couple weeks or so. Had the flu. Dog was sick. Other games beckoned. Etc.

Logged in yesterday to finish the mining I started before (yes, I left my ship drifting near the rings lol). Had fun with it, made some millions. Docked the ship safely in Tir.

I find myself temporarily directionless. The only thing that seems to be calling to me is to maybe check out the new "newbie" features when they arrive. I'll just clear the save on my alt account and see what's what. Either that or get back to unlocking the Colonia engineers. I still want to do that.

Anyway, that's all I'm up to, at the moment! :p

As to what I'm up to.... spent the week in limbo. My PC died last Wednesday. Dead mainboard it appears after logging off Elite for the evening. Rather than fix that one, I ordered parts to build a new box. The plan was to build a budget box, then later fix the dead one bringing it up to date, and give the budget box to my son, who is 9 and wants to become a PC gamer. Sniff sniff

Very happy with how it turned out. This is what I built

MSI B450 A-Pro
Ryzen 5 2600
MSI GTX 1660 Ti
Kingston Fury Hyper X 16 GB
Samsung 860 SSD 500 GB
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB
Seasonic 500w PSU

The dead box was built around a i7 6700K/ Z170 and a GTX 1070. New box is at least as fast, runs quite cool and is rather quiet as well. Runs Elite like butta. Total cost $900. Build took three hours, and then reinstalling everything, updating drivers, etc took another 3. Kinda sucks since I was more than happy with the old box, but lemons and curveballs I suppose.

Now back in the pit, a buddy helped me procure Lavian Brandy to unlock Didi Vatermann last night. She's now at G5 access and my fleet rejoiced. It's really the last engineer I cared about. The rest are for limpet controllers and weapons I don't use. Well, a bit more than that, but that's how I see it. Good to be back :)

Last edited:
I'm currently material-farming. Again. I don't want to be caught short when the update drops in a couple of weeks and I immediately use those slots for things that are not docking computers or supercruise assist.

Still out in the HIP 36601 C sub system stocking up my materials and finding new elements and objects, landed at a geological site and was astounded when I deployed the SRV the scanner was overwhelmed by targets almost everyone providing Polonium and so many even after filling my storage that my computer was still running slowly.

Still out in the HIP 36601 C sub system stocking up my materials and finding new elements and objects, landed at a geological site and was astounded when I deployed the SRV the scanner was overwhelmed by targets almost everyone providing Polonium and so many even after filling my storage that my computer was still running slowly.

2 days ago i ran into a series of 3 systems with tons of materials, one of them had more than 30+ bodies, and 2 moons that were so close they almost touched had tons of geological and biological sites that i simply stayed for at least 3 hours going to several of them and simply ran out of space for the materials they had on the ship! Wich was crazy, and on the same system there was at least 2 ringed planets and 1 gas giant with void opals and others sites... I bookmarked it since in the future ill be heading there for my materials everytime i need more.
As a bonus, was 1st discovery and also 1st to map them all, so not only it netted me all those materials, as it left me a almost 8 million credits profit in the end.

If i wasnt out on a exploratory loop atm i think i would head into the bubble and spend sometime on engenieers unlocking them and getting my ship upgraded.
I also have some ideas to do specific role ships with others ingame and i can spend some time engenieering those too.

It seems I'm going through a "seeing stuff for the first time" phase. I thought I'd tweak my thrusters (bigger ones and strip 'em down), so visited Palin (getting a hyperdiction en route - my second ever). In one system, I noted an odd looking station on the map - Dionysus. Flew over to see what it ws all about and got this photo:

DXObTnn.jpg

PS

Apologies, but I can't seem to get the spoiler tags working :(

Saw one yesterday too, out in the middle of nowhere, a big one, my corvette seemed small at its side, a industrial station... Lol, didnt expect to see that in the middle of nowhere...

This game has alot to show us, especially new players like me, but after this one i bet it still holds alot for the veterans too...

Puzzling over why there are so many type G, and K stars completely unexplored within 1200ly of the bubble. Ok, so sometimes the star and the first planet are discovered, but there is a lot of stuff down here within a 25 minute drive.

Blues? Yeah, y'all sniped the blue stars years before I started playing, but these little ones shall be mine now, including a massive ammonia world and a couple of WWs - and this metal rich one with volcanoes and polomium :)

Also literally just realised that when landing, if the ship is being finnicky about setting its feet down - turn flight assist off. Click, thunk, and ready to drop the SRV. Man I wish I'd twigged on that a few days ago when I was fighting to get it to set down by a Guardian base! x(

Last edited:
Puzzling over why there are so many type G, and K stars completely unexplored within 1200ly of the bubble. Ok, so sometimes the star and the first planet are discovered, but there is a lot of stuff down here within a 25 minute drive.

Blues? Yeah, y'all sniped the blue stars years before I started playing, but these little ones shall be mine now, including a massive ammonia world and a couple of WWs - and this metal rich one with volcanoes and polomium :)

View attachment 127601

Also literally just realised that when landing, if the ship is being finnicky about setting its feet down - turn flight assist off. Click, thunk, and ready to drop the SRV. Man I wish I'd twigged on that a few days ago when I was fighting to get it to set down by a Guardian base! x(

Is that a Krait Phantom I see before me?

Mine has become my exploration and material gatherer of choice. Today, I have mostly been finding antimony (well, three crsytals worth, but hey...)

y0EfcHR.jpg

Is that a Krait Phantom I see before me?

It is :) First couple of weeks exploring were with an Asp for a long leg around some nebulae, but that netted me enough to get a fully kitted Phantom, and I spent another 2 days to get the FSD booster for it. I like it so far, but the extra size-1 slot later this month will be great for plugging the DSS into and freeing up a 2 for a backup AFMU. Going to be a really self-reliant 'little' ship with that change.

And yeah, Antimony is a pain - as is Arsenic. Filled my Manganese bin on that red moon, nearly full of all the tier 1 materials, but basically no Sn, Ar, or Zr. Gotta get really specific on my next landing site.

It is :) First couple of weeks exploring were with an Asp for a long leg around some nebulae, but that netted me enough to get a fully kitted Phantom, and I spent another 2 days to get the FSD booster for it. I like it so far, but the extra size-1 slot later this month will be great for plugging the DSS into and freeing up a 2 for a backup AFMU. Going to be a really self-reliant 'little' ship with that change.

And yeah, Antimony is a pain - as is Arsenic. Filled my Manganese bin on that red moon, nearly full of all the tier 1 materials, but basically no Sn, Ar, or Zr. Gotta get really specific on my next landing site.
Regarding the Arsenic and Antimony - find a planet where there is at least 1.5% chance. Only harvest Metallic Meteorites and ignore the rest. That way you will spawn more MMs and according to my experience, you will get a chunk of it if every second or third one. (the chance on finding it (let's say that 1.5%) is meant across all the outcrop types, but in MMs (andd to certain extent in Mesosiderites) it's actually much higher (I'd say close to 20%)

Got Elite in exploration with this lovely ammonia world. Just 500ly from the bubble, can only assume that you guys intentionally left it for me to discover 🐱

IC 2602 Sector TD-T c3-14 for the interested.

Turned most of the data in to The 9th Legion, because they own a lot of stations. Been choosing the biggest 'minor' factions every time I do a run, and it's getting me a lot of systems in which I can find top tier missions. Last page went at Tau Ceti, getting me a Van Maanen's permit, which probably has no purpose whatsoever, but it's nice to have anyway.

Yup mate, there is alot of stuff in and around the bubble still to be discovered or mapped, most ppl go immediatly out, far into the void, and alot of stuff is left unchecked, been last week flying near the bubble mapping those, and there is alot, some systems are real surprises.

I see u are flying the Kraith Phantom, despite liking the big ships, for me that is the best all rounder to use for exploration atm, fitting mine again to use.

I don't know if it is still the case but I remember Sandro (or Michael) saying that there was actually an earth-like IN the bubble that hadn't been discovered - I am going back a year or so with that but you never know. 🕹

Got Elite in exploration with this lovely ammonia world. Just 500ly from the bubble, can only assume that you guys intentionally left it for me to discover 🐱

View attachment 127664

Turned most of the data in to The 9th Legion, because they own a lot of stations. Been choosing the biggest 'minor' factions every time I do a run, and it's getting me a lot of systems in which I can find top tier missions. Last page went at Tau Ceti, getting me a Van Maanen's permit, which probably has no purpose whatsoever, but it's nice to have anyway.

Well done on explorer elite.I think you are right,there is still quite a lot to discover around the bubble,once you get off the beaten track,but then there is so much to discover.It's a big universe.Have fun.

Last edited:

View attachment 127664

Congrats on Elite! :)

Today, I have mostly been reinstalling Windows 10. Long story.

Upshot was Elite was missing some DX runtime files so I had to reinstall the game. The worst of it is having to redo my BINDS. Copying a backup didn't seem to fully rebuild everything so no actual playing for me just yet.

On the bright side, at least my PC is working fully and cleanly now :D

Oh no... all my browser bookmarks have gone into a black hole. And my mail client. And my virus tools. And all my PC settings. Oh deep joy. Fun times.

Still, it was all my fault in the first place so I got learned.

See you in the black soon I hope!

Top Bottom