The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Problem is, most people do, including people who expect a released product in their lifetimes.

Except for those that are supporting the $250M, it seems. I remember when lots of original backers left, many here even got refunded. But, you cannot tell that by the overall money they have collected. Thus, the money does not support the many people do comment. Unless you have specific # of backers in 2012 and the # now and it has declined. In which case, we could infer that the general population cares, but, some whales don't.

Thus, the money does not support the many people do comment.
Yes it does. You see, you don't need many people to get that kind of money. This is supported by the low number of actual backers, and the spending stats CIG released a few years back. Doubly so when there's every reason to believe that the $250M number is wholly fictional to begin with so it doesn't actually provide any hint of what a few people might have shelled out.

In which case, we could infer that the general population cares, but, some whales don't.
…and the actual bottom line is that it doesn't actually matters: there's nothing to suggest that CIG's 10th year will in any way be different from years 1–9, especially given CIG's own statements of what might under the best of circumstances will be released that year, and as such there is nothing to suggest that year 8–9 will in any way qualify as being “good” for them.

…and the actual bottom line is that it doesn't actually matters: there's nothing to suggest that CIG's 10th year will in any way be different from years 1–9, especially given CIG's own statements of what might under the best of circumstances will be released that year, and as such there is nothing to suggest that year 8–9 will in any way qualify as being “good” for them.
if they are still there for their 10y anniversary. Money's run out and they are on life support from their private investor now, if i followed correctly what transpired lately (i admit i am taking a distant looks at SC at the moment, i have other priorities..)

As for the random fan who threw the random "but you're an Elite fanboy !" argument, first i never mentioned ED in my posts (actually my reference for space games and flight model is modded KSP..), second, HA HA i'm actually an SC backer jokes on you (well the joke is on me too, but i can see it clearly, can you ?), third, i have a lot of bad things to say about ED (but also good things of course), but that's not the place to do so. And it's actually a finished game, with complete game loops, even the bare bones trading can be done extensively (along with smuggling). Remind me, how many star systems do we have in SC ? How many will there be in 2020 ? How many at launch (insert a random future year) ? Yeah, thought so.

Except for those that are supporting the $250M, it seems. I remember when lots of original backers left, many here even got refunded. But, you cannot tell that by the overall money they have collected. Thus, the money does not support the many people do comment. Unless you have specific # of backers in 2012 and the # now and it has declined. In which case, we could infer that the general population cares, but, some whales don't.

The suspicion is that its just a small % of whales that keep pumping money into it, gifting ships, buying more for themselves, that makes up most of it.

The only reference we have is from years ago where Turbulent said 50% of accounts had actually backed the game. Its no stretch of the imagination to believe that a majority are in for just the basic amount. Then you have things like secondary accounts, grey market trader accounts, free fly weekend accounts, and its no then hard to think, maybe its just a few hundred hardcore whales keeping this thing afloat.

And of course, this was just a deflection. It doesn't change the fact that most players want a released product sooner rather than later.

CIG's own vote shows the lie to this as well, since backers voted on whether they should expand the scope WITHOUT expanding the deadline, yet a few hardcore backers still proclaim they voted for the extra time. The percentage of people who actually voted was less than 10% of all backers, and the second vote was barely a majority.

Bottom line, not every one cares about the time lines.

I know that's one of the common sentiments from people who are excited for SC, but just because you don't care about them doesn't mean it doesn't matter how long development takes. The industry isn't standing still waiting for Roberts to deliver his opus. Entire AAA games have come and gone since 2012. Look at the Crytek-produced KS teaser cinematic, do you think that looks modern and high-fidelity today? Or the Morrow Tour from 2015? That was less than 4 years ago - so magine how dated 3.5 will look by the time this project is a decade old and the game still isn't released. Many other games will come and go in that time, games which will be better able to take advantage of more modern technologies than this CryEngine 3 hack job. Cue more refactoring, more vacuous shinies like ArcCorp which add absolutely nothing to the threadbare gameplay but which make for good marketing stills (except, it's interesting how ArcCorp has had a massive graphical downgrade since it was previewed in 2017, something other games are routinely criticised for. It's also interesting how the 2017 demo was all over the gaming media, but I haven't seen any mention of the live version anywhere that isn't invested in SC development).

And there's the money, of course. They've already skated so close to the edge that they had to sell part of the company for a massive cash injection in order to stay afloat (only in CIG's world would $46m barely raise an eyebrow). Quarter of a billion-with-a-b dollars total for something which currently has no hook other than looking pretty from certain angles, which is bettered in every department by other games which have been available for years, and which relies entirely on the fact that it's the only game trying to achieve one very specific combination of those things as its selling point. Led by a man who hasn't shipped a game since the 90s, who has never developed a FPS, and who is clearly out of his depth when it comes to anything other than superficial gloss. And yet he still acts as if he's schooling the industry, because apparently that's how you milk whales.

And they're counting on S42 selling enough copies (above and beyond the copies they already owe to backers) to cover however many more years it takes to get SC over the line. I think they're in for a rude awakening with that one, but we'll see. Nothing they've delivered so far makes me think they're capable of producing a good game, at the end of the day.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Bottom line, not every one cares about the time lines.

This is simply the Star Citizen backer version of the ostrich effect. Continued and repeated delays are usually evidence of, for example, technical limitations or lack of resources/competency.

Delaying releases of any kind also has a cost, the more you delay, the more it is costing you and that is money that can not be used in doing other upcoming and planned game elements.

Not caring about timelines is reckless and just pure and undistilled denial unless, that is, you really believe that time and money is infinite for CIG

This is simply the Star Citizen backer version of the ostrich effect. Continued and repeated delays are usually evidence of, for example, technical limitations or lack of resources/competency.

Delaying releases of any kind also has a cost, the more you delay, the more it is costing you and that is money that can not be used in doing other upcoming and planned game elements.

Not caring about timelines is reckless and just pure and undistilled denial unless, that is, you really believe that time and money is infinite for CIG

I don’t work for them, so it’s irrelevant to me. As for my money in the project, it’s already gone, I don’t worry about it.

3.5 PTU is having server issues, and missions that use to work are now stalling out or failing. Frustrating, absolutely. Making me upset, not at all.

I love the peeps who enter the PTU and complain. They are very entertaining to me.

So Mr

I feel like they arnt delaying for polish sake, their delaying because they barely have a foundation and there's not much of a game after all this money and time.

Last edited:
Ok - today's RTV has an hour of artists talking about how they created various aspects of the latest version.

I'm only a few minutes in and already it's abundantly clear that the pipelines and tools for making oodles of content procedurally for final artistic tweakage haven't been, urm, pipelined at all :(

Maybe you should pledge more and forget about it.

So Mr

I feel like they arnt delaying for polish sake, their delaying because they barely have a foundation and there's not much of a game after all this money and time.

Its not like they are going to throw in sign language and models with and in 2 years and 100 more million is going to make it be much different.

1000 Player instances and 100 systems? Yeah right.

I take it that Ben Lenslock and Disco Lando aren't part of this anymore? The good old days when money came in with no unfortunate legal gubbins attached. Almost miss it!

Love to know what "wingman" and that lanky haired guy that needed to eat more thinks of it all now.

TheAgent said:
hello
  • less than 30,000 people purchase anything from CIG in a given year
  • currently, 70% of sales come from people spending more than $1,000 a year
  • these high end backers have an average total spend of more than $10,000 since 2015
  • these include gifting and sending out packages to potential new players
  • new player and "normal" purchases continued steady into 2015
  • in 2016, new players and backers spending less than $100 began to decline
  • massive increase in high end spending around this time, with sudden buyouts of expensive ship packages
  • one person has spent almost $250,000 since the initial kickstarter across multiple accounts
  • internals of sq42 show over 1.2m preorders for the first release alone
  • internal mock ups show sq42 console release running through RSI/CIG servers
  • this would include on-demand streaming without a traditional download
  • next gen xbox and playstation are mentioned on the marketing mock ups
  • "Luckily [the next gen consoles] are running SSDs. That's an absolute must for us, without a doubt."
  • console power enough to see "low to medium" settings for squadron42
  • "There's a lot to adjust [for a console release] but it's all easy stuff."
  • to target next gen release only first few sq42 chapters will be available with more as they are polished
  • first chapter listed as free, each chapter can be ordered a la carte or as season pass
  • big name actors to return for additional content after first initial release
  • "There's not going to be a sequel to Squadron 42, not in the traditional sense. We want to keep adding to it, expanding it. Ultimately we want a generation of adventures."
  • star citizen proper not listed currently for console release
  • "Our hope is that a console player is so involved, so invested, in their [SQ42] character, they'll be willing to go out and spend the money on a decent PC to continue that adventure."
  • eventually have a SC release that's cross play, cross buy -- listed as a "big goal"
  • "working out the kinks" in getting a console sq42 character into SC, might have a website feature or app that allows save states to import
  • SC wants to be the game "for anyone and everyone"
  • SC console release coming at some point -- "There's hurdles there."
Gigglesnort.

valid points for sure, and not to dwell on there past, as I stated, I like projects on there hospital bed, but I think 2019-2020 will be a good year for SC. After watching a Youtube video on Cyberpunk. I'm not going to lie, I would rather upgrade my 600i to the 890J for $500 than buy the video I just watched. But, time will tell what happens.

As I’m eating lunch, I’m thinking about gaming and your comment. And I cannot help but realize for me, I’m not a fan of FPS. As a matter of fact, my buddy bought me Rainbow 6, and Ghost recon so we can game together. While decent, they don’t hold my attention long. However, gearing up in SC, flying my ship to some location and going into clear out pirates in SC is awesome to me. I’m not sure why I’m wired this way, but, I am.
You could get 10 copies of Cyberpunk for the price of an upgrade to a ship in an unfinished game still in alpha.
For a game that isn't a scam they've got a funny way of looking like one.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom