Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Today as yesterday im running the gauntlet of engenieers to get all my gear on the Krait Phantom as engenieered as possible, since i switched back to it, and will stay on it for the forseable future till i got a billion or two of credits to burn in a mad build i have planed for my Corvette to be a force to be recon with in RES sites... (for that will need alot of time, mats and patient to do all the engenieering necessary).

Today im planning on working out the bugs on the engines so i can go as fast as i can with it, since FSD is done (got the GFSDB too) as well as the powerplant is done).
Now to figure how to (if possible) engenieer the AX multicannons... (yup using those, since in my exploration trips im more likely to engage those than a human)

Accidentally put a shot into a non-wanted ship while hunting pirates. Ran away, didn't shoot another thing, went to pay my 200c bounty. Got sent to jail. Spent 20 minutes flying back to where I was.

Bounty hunting seems to be very inefficient 😔

Accidentally put a shot into a non-wanted ship while hunting pirates. Ran away, didn't shoot another thing, went to pay my 200c bounty. Got sent to jail. Spent 20 minutes flying back to where I was.

Bounty hunting seems to be very inefficient 😔

Fly to an Interstellar Factor to pay off bounties.

If you only have a fine, no problem in stations, just don't select "hand yourself in" as that too sends you to a correctional facility for lawless scum. ;)

Fly to an Interstellar Factor to pay off bounties.

If you only have a fine, no problem in stations, just don't select "hand yourself in" as that too sends you to a correctional facility for lawless scum. ;)

I'm not sure whether it was a fine or bounty. I was under the impression that multiple ships turned red, which I assumed were the rozzas, so I legged it. Whether I just needed to exit the instance and return to calm them down I didn't test because I needed to rearm anyway. Figured I'd just pay up at the station and get out of anonymous mode and that would be that.

What irks is that either way I have to make at least 2 system jumps to get the station to talk to me again. The system I was in has a HR site very near a station. Specifically chose it for efficient reload/repair and get back out into the fight, so this diversion was unwelcome and really killed the mood. For the sake of an accidental shot and a 200cr fine 😞 It seems likely that this system is designed to punish player pirates and gankers, but it doesn't differentiate between intentional murder and mistaken noobery.

I'll suck it up and deal with it, but it doesn't change it being a rather bad system and I don't intend to say kind things about it in the future :cautious:

I am really new to combat, but it seems to be that if you so much as scratch the paint on a system security vessel, then you get a bounty (usually a small one, but a bounty nonetheless) and the previously allied cops go simian-excrement on you. This means high-tailing it to the local Interstellar Factor (in a system not controlled by the faction you just annoyed) to pay it off, or you will get sent down / jumped on.

It doesn’t seem right though. If you were allied with the cops, and spent the last 20 minutes helping them rid the locale of scum and villainy, then you would think they might not be quite so over the top about a stray shot. You are effectively in a war zone, and friendly fire incidents happen in combat - that doesn’t usually mean that all the units on your side suddenly decide you are in league with the enemy and annihilate you as priority number one.

It would be a different matter if you went rogue and pursued one of the cops to the point of blowing them up - then I could understand it.

I finally went CEM this afternoon.

It was mostly enjoyable, and very definitely so when I actually made shizz go boom :) :) :)

The only two observations I would have about it are

1: Even if you go to a previously unexplored system, with pristine reserves, somehow, as soon as you exit Supercruise in the hot-spot, there are pirates. Yes, they do one if they see you with nothing in the hold, but if you’ve moved from one place in the system to another and have some refined ore, they go for you. Whilst my mining set up Krait has some teeth as well, it can’t deal with a wing of “Dangerous” npcs; or at least I can’t!

2: The number of ‘roids with cores in them seems to be very very small. I spent over an hour at each of the two hot-spots I went to, combing them for cores. I found two. Granted, this made me over 27 million, but it was getting rather dull in the end :)

CEM?Oh,mining,right?I think the rings will be restocked next week,when the slots get added,but it;s just a guess.
Never had any luck with the core-mining,either finding them or exploding them,but i found a few ltd's the old fashioned way..

Last edited:
1: Even if you go to a previously unexplored system, with pristine reserves, somehow, as soon as you exit Supercruise in the hot-spot, there are pirates.

Pretty sure the answer here is to go further outside the bubble :) When the FSS shows no signal sources, don't think there will be pirates either.

Unless you really meant unexplored as in "it's got my name on it now"...

Further outside the bubble contains risks of its own.My last two trips out resulted in smoking craters and they hurt if you let them.But it goes with the territory,(pardon the pun)

Literally just twigged why Jaques' (note the apostrophe) Station has been twigging my memory.

jaques.jpg

From my copy of Stories of Life On the Frontier, because back in the 90s computer games came with cool things in the box :)

(Yeah. I'm old. Tell you what though, Frontier had atmospheric landings ;) )

Anyway, on topic, currently running around the engineers trying to get my modules up to snuff for combat. Which is silly, because I'm flying a clipper and its shields are so bad I'm considering not bothering. Maybe what I need is a max size hull reinforcement and some repair limpets...

Last edited:
Yesterday I came across the Death Star in disguise.
I was unaware until I took off from the planetary station and saw a skimmer heading toward me, so I rolled inverted and flew over the top of him at about 200ft. No hardpoints deployed, nothing.
Next thing I get station security screaming at me for weapons fire transgressions or some such other nonsense. Was I that close? Did my Challenger's tail spoiler clip him? Did my engine wash send the skimmer crashing to the planet floor?
Who knows. Next thing that happens I'm out of control, HUD is gone, a canyon wall is approaching fast.
All goes black. I wake up in prison.

So what I'm doing right now is feasting on bread and water.....

Unsure, haven't seen; was the day prior to 1993? Probably the design would have been more like 91-92...
The day would be the nineties when the book was published, the film they pinched the design from was 2016/2017, the failed humour was mine circa all the time.

Yesterday I came across the Death Star in disguise.
I was unaware until I took off from the planetary station and saw a skimmer heading toward me, so I rolled inverted and flew over the top of him at about 200ft. No hardpoints deployed, nothing.
Next thing I get station security screaming at me for weapons fire transgressions or some such other nonsense. Was I that close? Did my Challenger's tail spoiler clip him? Did my engine wash send the skimmer crashing to the planet floor?
Who knows. Next thing that happens I'm out of control, HUD is gone, a canyon wall is approaching fast.
All goes black. I wake up in prison.

So what I'm doing right now is feasting on bread and water.....

Mmm! bread.

Possibly the skimmer was patrolling a secure area and you got shot for trespassing, or maybe for flying upside down in the wrong hemisphere.

Thinking that the extra slot next patch will be very useful for explorers, decided to spend this week hanging around the bubble and unlocking some engineers that I've been overlooking until now.

The Dweller - never done smuggling so this was new. Turns out explorer ships are good at it, because they tend to run cool already.

Liz Ryder - played the interdiction minigame several times while bringing her landmines, failed to notice I was smuggling but fortunately didn't get scanned.

Selene Jean - this is probably going to take a few days, because I've got another 445 tons of things to mine. Guess I'll refit my clipper for mining, because her class 7-bi-weave shield only lasts about 3 seconds in combat. Seems like she's made to run away not to stand and fight.

Marsha Hicks + Bill Turner - maybe this will happen by the time I've done Selene's 500. Already have Bill's permit because I've been strategically handing in my exploration data to unlock systems quickly :)

Lei Cheung - might just happen while doing the others, but if not, he'll be easy to round out the pack. 30/50 markets so far because I'm not much into trading.

Hopefully between these guys I'll be able to drop another few tons of mass off my Phantom and hit 65ly - or maybe I'll build an Explorca, because they look amazing and I think I can get one pushing 60ly. Might be worth it for the basking.

Meanwhile, I've taken to FSSing every USS in every system in pass though, because there are so many free manufactured materials floating around out there, especially if you find a nice inhabited system with only a couple of planets so everything clusters up in a tight area.

Top Bottom