General / Off-Topic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is Burning

Up until yesterday funding for Notre Dame maintenance was on the low side - not carried out by the Catholic church apparently, as the building is managed by the state of France - and although some work was going on, that was work to the roof .. while the stonework is known to be crumbling. Today, over half a billion euros have been donated ..
Yes, between 700 and 800 million promises for the moment.

Yes, between 700 and 800 million promises for the moment.

Seriously, they could have been inspecting the timbers, found woodworm, .. cough, "woosh".
100 million pays to rebuild the roof, 600 million left for a big party!? o_O

Maybe my mind is just too devious from all that elite I've been playing.
But even if L'Oreal found out, they can't back out now. It's genius.

I feel the destruction of knowledge and history, in whatever it's form, is a loss that can only contribute to the perpetuation of ignorance.

Even symbols of repression are history, and putting them to the torch doesn't undo any damage they've caused, it just makes it more likely future generations (or even our future selves) are less likely to learn from it.
I agree, and I would go step further and say that "symbols of repression" is a complex, complex topic. Evils done in the name of a government or religion (or non-religion) does not make the entire institution evil. The Christian cross is not the swastika, nor is Notre Dame a German concentration camp. I'm no history expert on ND itself, but I suspect like the Catholic Church, both good and evil can be associated with it. Once you go down the road of, "It's evil, burn it and never rebuild it", then you might as well burn down the entire world.

And on that note, I think I'm going to retire from this thread, as it's heading down a slippery slope I'd rather not ride.

I agree, and I would go step further and say that "symbols of repression" is a complex, complex topic. Evils done in the name of a government or religion (or non-religion) does not make the entire institution evil. The Christian cross is not the swastika, nor is Notre Dame a German concentration camp. I'm no history expert on ND itself, but I suspect like the Catholic Church, both good and evil can be associated with it. Once you go down the road of, "It's evil, burn it and never rebuild it", then you might as well burn down the entire world.

And on that note, I think I'm going to retire from this thread, as it's heading down a slippery slope I'd rather not ride.

I find it amusing that the swastika has such a strong stigma yet something like the imperial japan flag is not, even though Japan made some pretty terrible things in WWII.

Its a matter of scale.

Scale, meaning; I don't think Christianity has ever thought genocide is OK, whether it's always been quick enough to mobilise in stopping it or not.

Scale really meaning .. Notre Dame is a big big building (!!) but actually I'm surprised about how light the damage seems to have been, considering what it looked like last night..

Its a matter of scale.

And what was so different about the scale?

Imperial Japan killed tens of millions of people too.

Also, we sent Fat Man and Little Boy, so there's some baggage.

The fuss over this is silly.

There is little practical difference in being killed by a nuclear weapon or conventional ones, and, I strongly suspect, little meaningful difference in the suffering involved whether one was irradiated or scorched and poisoned by phosphorous incendiaries.

Scale, meaning; I don't think Christianity has ever thought genocide is OK, whether it's always been quick enough to mobilise in stopping it or not.

not to mention several wipeout attempts in the name of the true god, and just for parody ... you do realize hitler was actually a christian? you might say he was a secret apostase, which would be up to debate, or even a 'bad christian', but he was still a child of the christian civilization and raised in a catholic family. and most his gang mates were too, actually.

not to mention several wipeout attempts in the name of the true god, and just for parody ... you do realize Hitler was actually a christian? you might say he was a secret apostase, which would be up to debate, or even a 'bad christian', but he was still a child of the christian civilization and raised in a catholic family. and most his gang mates were too, actually.

Actually, it is common knowledge that Hitler's mom was jew. Go figure !

And Hitler was pagan, he adored the gods of old, Odin and stuff. And if he followed a religion, it would be Protestantism and not Christianism

Back on topic.

Today I learned some good and some bad news.

The bad news is that the gable of the north transept is still at risk of colapsing.

The good news, almost a billion on donations already from donators from all over the world. At this rate we wont be able to rebuild a cathedral, but rather 3! One on top of the other.
The rooster that throned at the top of the spire has been found!

And I also learned that the firefighters used this little beauty yesterday to fight against the fire.
It goes without saying that he proved very useful.

One last thing, Notre Dame was NOT INSURED !

It belongs to the state and the state is its own insurance, so we would have paid for its restoration anyways. ^^'

Last edited:
And what was so different about the scale?

Imperial Japan killed tens of millions of people too.

The fuss over this is silly.

There is little practical difference in being killed by a nuclear weapon or conventional ones, and, I strongly suspect, little meaningful difference in the suffering involved whether one was irradiated or scorched and poisoned by phosphorous incendiaries.

Aside from the long term effects which are different, and to be fair in that case have been overplayed, I agree.

Can I just say that, historical and (for people of faith) spiritual values aside, I find it... sad and comical at the same time. In a country (or even western society as a whole, nothing against French in particular) that is on a verge of economical and social collapse, where thousands of people are protesting against leadership, millions of people are on poverty level of livelihood and nothing is being done with anything, suddenly people emerge who are willing to put years of work and tens of millions Euro into repairing a burnt-down church.

That is just so... human, I guess.

.. willing to put years of work and tens of millions Euro into repairing a burnt-down church.

I think such old massive buildings transcend their religious significance though. This for example is not just a church, it's where Napoleon crowned himself and was probably a site of significance ever since Paris first began as a city. You can imagine the generations buildings like this must have seen come and go, while staying essentially unchanged in all that time. I think it's just a coincidence almost though that religious buildings tend to be the buildings that get preserved, rebuilt if they burn or fall down. As such just are the oldest and therefore by default the most historic buildings around so even if you're not into the values that built them it's difficult not be impressed, 850 years is a long time standing. The fact that cathedrals tend to be huge doesn't hurt their charisma either.

I think such old massive buildings transcend their religious significance though. This for example is not just a church, it's where Napoleon crowned himself and was probably a site of significance ever since Paris first began as a city. You can imagine the generations buildings like this must have seen come and go, while staying essentially unchanged in all that time. I think it's just a coincidence almost though that religious buildings tend to be the buildings that get preserved, rebuilt if they burn or fall down. As such just are the oldest and therefore by default the most historic buildings around so even if you're not into the values that built them it's difficult not be impressed, 850 years is a long time standing. The fact that cathedrals tend to be huge doesn't hurt their charisma either.
I'm not saying it's not an important building or that preserving and remembering past is not important. I'm just saying that there should be a scale of importance of things, and this ain't at the top.

I'm not saying it's not an important building or that preserving and remembering past is not important. I'm just saying that there should be a scale of importance of things, and this ain't at the top.

I agree with you but for one reason or another this kind of incident resonates with people, that's just my take on maybe why, I think it's more than just religions. Any campaigners on other issues should probably take note, eh. I can't think of many single issue charities or causes that raised the best part of a billion bucks in under 24 hours without even asking!

Can I just say that, historical and (for people of faith) spiritual values aside, I find it... sad and comical at the same time. In a country (or even western society as a whole, nothing against French in particular) that is on a verge of economical and social collapse, where thousands of people are protesting against leadership, millions of people are on poverty level of livelihood and nothing is being done with anything, suddenly people emerge who are willing to put years of work and tens of millions Euro into repairing a burnt-down church.

That is just so... human, I guess.
While I understand what you are saying, how many here invest as much time and money in your local soup kitchen as you do your gaming rigs and imaginary spaceships?

Ooops, I was supposed to be quitting this thread.... Oi I'm like a nicotine addict!

Top Bottom