Powerplay Does Powerplay actually affect any RP?

Noob question - does Powerplay actually affect how the galaxy progresses?

For example, say the factions supporting Edmund Mahon took the time to ally themselves with the factions of Denton Patreus and they started cooperating in BGS. Would the in-game universe explain it in that Edmund Mahon was able to convince Denton Patreus to aid some of their Alliance objectives? (Players driving the game's progress and role playing story lines)

Another example - appropriate with the recent GalNet News release, Zemina Torval declares that Aisling Duval is a traitor to the Empire. Accordingly, would the player factions start supporting undermining efforts and expansions into Aisling Duval's territory? (This is more players reacting to FD's efforts to move and progress the story line.)

Granted, I am a really new player, but it seems that Powerplay has a very unique opportunity to let the players drive how factions and powers react to one another, more than just game play mechanics and who controls what system. I think it'd be cool to see these major powers grow and shrink according to player-driven game play and have the in-game universe recognize these efforts. For example, Denton Patreus renounces the Empire and joins the Alliance (the first example). Or Aisling Duval is no longer recognized as an Imperial Power but is now an Independent Power (the second example).

Please share your thoughts and opinions on how viable you think something like this would work!

the actual alliances in game are different from the "lore" we don't like to be led by unknown 3rd rate writers so we make our own lore and play with whomever we like and attack same.

Accordingly, would the player factions start supporting undermining efforts and expansions into Aisling Duval's territory?

In fact, the mechanics of Powerplay prevent Aisling Duval and Zemina Torval from directly attacking each other. If you were pledged to, say Zemina, and attacked any ship pledged to another Imperial power (Aisling, Arissa, or Denton), you'd actually be penalized merits (demerits?). Given that Powerplay is largely about maintaining ranks by earning merits, you'd find yourself not doing so well.

Sadly, PP is largely ignored by the people writing the galactic narratives. BGS activities are similarly ignored. There was a good post by a Mahon player last year expressing those frustrations.

Now that I think about it, does anything affect the narrative RP? I mean, aliens are invading systems deep inside the bubble and destroying stations but it barely gets mentioned in GalNet and definitely has zero plot development of the last few months.

FDEV has never once - nor will they ever, care about what the players are actually doing in their game.

We treat GalNet like a garbage tabloid, basically meaningless junk that nobody cares about because the writing and storyline are horrible.

Here's an example: Aisling powerplay players have been in a heated shooting war with the Federation players for years. Then all of the sudden Aisling herself gets engaged to marry a fed? Then it's broken off because she can't stay faithful to her fiancee.

Who in the world came up with that? Why are they allowed to? It's bad. Stop it already. No serious. Quit it.

Now that I think about it, does anything affect the narrative RP? I mean, aliens are invading systems deep inside the bubble and destroying stations but it barely gets mentioned in GalNet and definitely has zero plot development of the last few months.

Anything only affects role-playing when you want it to.

Top Bottom