Where is the exploration?

Yes, I can tell you're enjoying your game greatly, too. :)

Dang right I am, just popped back to the bubble to refit an Annie for an extended exploration jaunt with SLF's and a spare SRV after a comedy geyser jumping accident.

Having said that now I'm back the PMF is calling and there's a war in the offing so it might be some red hot space dogfighting action instead for a bit. That would also take us up to the next patch which includes extra slots for small ships and is due on the 23rd IIRC, so I might rethink the Annie for the exploring after some extended ship tinkering.

No matter, I'll be doing things I enjoy however it pans out.

As per my earlier comment, tagging a planet with your name is not the same as exploring it. Tagging the planet just confirms you were in the system (and were the first person there). The surface scan also isn't really exploring, though it does give you far more information about the planet. Exploring is literally going somewhere and seeing what is there. It sounds to me that you aren't actually exploring at all, but are thinking that the tools are doing this for you... Do you like exploring, or playing with scanners? :)

Edit: I should add, I know you aren't entirely happy with the scanners in E: D. But if they were made how you like, I still don't think that you would be exploring.
I believe I'm on to something here...

so: are all of those who are into the FSS, also into engineering? If it was that way, I could understand very well. So, is exploration in this game really hunting for mats? For engineering?

so: are all of those who are into the FSS, also into engineering? If it was that way, I could understand very well. So, is exploration in this game really hunting for mats? For engineering?

I like the FSS and engineering, but the two things are completely separate. Mat hunting is best done in passing whilst doing other stuff and at the traders.

As with the FSS the reason I like engineering is I never grind at it, so its all positives and no negatives at all.

It depends on your definition of engineering, PvP ships are heavily engineered, exploration ships also, even 'shuttle taxis' - vanilla ships are fine, but engineering assists in making them 'fit for purpose'. (My T10 - used for exploring and mining is quite heavily engineered, but not to the extent of a PvP dreadnaught)
The introduction of the FSS had made finding USS's easy as they are all visible on the scanner, with their expiry times. Previously it was 'waiting to be lucky' situation. As before, the content of a particular USS may not be exactly what you'd wanted it to be, allegedly even worse now than it was.

There are those who consider the FSS to be spawn of the devil, others embrace it as amazing, others (like me) aren't particularly bothered either way, it is a good tool, but the game remains as it was regardless :)

I like the FSS and engineering, but the two things are completely separate. Mat hunting is best done in passing whilst doing other stuff and at the traders.

As with the FSS the reason I like engineering is I never grind at it, so its all positives and no negatives at all.
Yes, you're a positive person, alright.

So, people seem to have different views on what exploration actually is. To me, it is searching for stuff, and maybe it's because I'm at a very early stage in the game, I complain that the FSS is taking the whole search away and serving me everything on a platter.

Now I'm open to the possibility that when you're looking for materials (I have half the boats up to the type-7 and I'm still enjoying the Cobra Mk-III, so I'm not even considering getting to know the engineers yet and I couldn't care less about mats) then the FSS might become a fantastic tool. But I'm still hating it so much right now for doing all the work for me that I might not be able to take the extra step that gets me to engineering. I'm baffled.

No.... Listen, hate the FSS, that's fine, but stop trying to "prove" that the FSS is bad by looking for ways to discredit those who do like it. You'll not win any points here (except perhaps with the 5 other people in your camp), nor will it bring back the ADS. If anything it'll earn you a spot on FDev's "ignore list".

Yes, you're a positive person, alright.

So, people seem to have different views on what exploration actually is. To me, it is searching for stuff, and maybe it's because I'm at a very early stage in the game, I complain that the FSS is taking the whole search away and serving me everything on a platter.

Now I'm open to the possibility that when you're looking for materials (I have half the boats up to the type-7 and I'm still enjoying the Cobra Mk-III, so I'm not even considering getting to know the engineers yet and I couldn't care less about mats) then the FSS might become a fantastic tool. But I'm still hating it so much right now for doing all the work for me that I might not be able to take the extra step that gets me to engineering. I'm baffled.
If I am right and the FSS is really a great tool for engineering, then it should work exactly as it does, but seriously above everything it should occupy a size-1 slot and cost 1 million, because I as a new player can't bear with it.

No.... Listen, hate the FSS, that's fine, but stop trying to "prove" that the FSS is bad by looking for ways to discredit those who do like it. You'll not win any points here (except perhaps with the 5 other people in your camp), nor will it bring back the ADS. If anything it'll earn you a spot on FDev's "ignore list".
You don't scare me.

Where is that other guy?

You don't scare me.
And you don't scare me - I've got the FSS, I love it, and I've seen nothing in this thread that'll persuade Frontier to remove it. So keep posting your senseless speculations as to why people actually like the FSS, as you are doing us a favor with your weak, weak arguments :D

You'll not win any points here (except perhaps with the 5 other people in your camp), nor will it bring back the ADS. If anything it'll earn you a spot on FDev's "ignore list".

Dont be like that you know its not true. Its widely disliked by many more people than actually post about it. Fdev are ignoring us all anyway, they were ignoring everything they didnt want to hear before the thing was even in the game.

If I am right and the FSS is really a great tool for engineering, then it should work exactly as it does, but seriously above everything it should occupy a size-1 slot and cost 1 million, because I as a new player can't bear with it.

I can't imagine where you stood that let you leap to that conclusion.

Dont be like that you know its not true. Its widely disliked by many more people than actually post about it.
And you know this how?
Fdev are ignoring us all anyway, they were ignoring everything they didnt want to hear before the thing was even in the game.
I absolutely agree. These days when I post about "Elephant Butt Leather", I do so because it's become a humorous meme. I've since given up hope that Frontier will fix actual bugs in the game (I haven't even bothered signing into the new reporting tool), let alone take sides in a debate that clearly has strong advocates on both sides.

So the question now is, why do you persist? I'm not sure this debate counts as a "humorous meme", though I do miss your Dalek avatar!

So the question now is, why do you persist?

I honestly dont know. Im watching back to the future III atm and wishing it was still the 1980s :) It is slighlty sad to see this thread polarising again just like all the others.

The reporting tool is just another bit of bad work on their part. Its not needed and serves no purpose. Bugs should be addressed in the order they are reported filtered for severity. IMO.

And you don't scare me - I've got the FSS, I love it, and I've seen nothing in this thread that'll persuade Frontier to remove it. So keep posting your senseless speculations as to why people actually like the FSS, as you are doing us a favor with your weak, weak arguments :D
Nah. You tried to bring the thread into disarray since its early days, so I believe I've made some very strong arguments. ;)
I don't care to spoil your fun, but I know exactly why the FSS spoils it for me. If FDev listens or not, ultimately it's their game.

Dont be like that you know its not true. Its widely disliked by many more people than actually post about it. Fdev are ignoring us all anyway, they were ignoring everything they didnt want to hear before the thing was even in the game.

If FDEV didn't ignore the inevitable whining that accompanies everything they ever say or do, or don't say or do the game would never have been released.

With all the drama and bad feeling caused by the FSS at least we havnt really had time to complain about the over saturated colours to any great degree. :D
The colors are wonderful! I LOVE THE NEW CO.......

Sorry, I can't do it. I'm trying to be sarcastic for the fun of it, but I just can't do it. I HATE THE NEW INSTAGRAM FILTER! Awful rubbish. I do like the other lighting changes, however.

If FDEV didn't ignore the inevitable whining that accompanies everything they ever say or do, or don't say or do the game would never have been released.
I agree, just explaining the reasoning (and having it not be critically flawed) as used to happen is all that's needed. Some will always hate it, some will always love it & some will make up their own mind.

I read through threads like these & wonder who sits in which category.

So where are we on this thread?

Is it circling the drain with the usual faces arguing the usual points or has something new been said?

Looks to be heading that way, yes. I think the OP makes some reasonable points, but ultimately the old & new methods were apparently divisive. Seems pretty obvious the solution would be to allow both while something better is developed.

Top Bottom