Roadmap leaked??

Never said the videos did. It was in the Kickstarter information, but they mentioned personal inflatable bases. It's shown in this very thread. No need for perfect recall. ;)
Where in this very thread please? I had a look at the KickStarter (again), but couldn’t see a mention of life raft personal bases.

Mind you, this thread is a fine example of a few forum users (myself included) arguing the toss over features that Frontier have neither confirmed nor denied. This must be one of the dictionary definitions of ‘futile’ ;)

Last edited:
Where in this very thread please? I had a look at the KickStarter (again), but couldn’t see a mention of life raft personal bases.
My bad, it was a 2014 Q&A
FDev have actually talked about player-controlled base building to a degree, and base ownership more generally. Although as you say there'd have to be limits:

List of FDev Quotes on Player-Owned Bases:

Last edited:
Everybody has seen and read all that old stuff. I don't think anyone wants Elite to be a paste a base game. Some have billions of credits and nothing to spend it on besides re-buys. Buying bases and/or having them built over a period of time would be good overall boost for game play. Its just sounds dumb (MO) in a universe as huge as Elite to say our ship is our base.
A mobile base of operations seems a lot more fitting in a galactic wide game for Commanders in the Pilots Federation than having a stationary one on an isolated world somewhere. Frontier devs have also stated in the past that they don't want to tie players down to certain locations and also intentionally provide and develop gameplay to encourage them to move around and explore different aspects of the game. That being said, things do change from their fundamental sorted plans sometimes and don't always work out the way they're intended to.

Being able to customize and move around our rather large ship interiors makes sense and seems more apt to me, if base legs is to be a thing.

Last edited:
Problem is with such deeply optional content (see multicrew) that it sucks away resources from meaningful stuff.
Whether it's meaningful or not is down to the individual. Designing and building your own base can be meaningful for that individual. Remember, this is supposedly coming out with space legs, which could be very meaningful.

From a business perspective space legs would be a good way to go not only would it unlock a HUGE extra market but put ED on par with all rivals.

Either way it's good to see Fdev expanding which can only be good for ED in the long run

There's nothing to say we can't farm moss patches on worlds too, having all kinds of grand mini-games keeping the humidity just right and all that. I'd rather Frontier develop the game I paid for though.
I think there are good points on both sides of this. NMS and Minecraft has shown that base building can be proper fun and I would enjoy that.... But equally it is a fair point that there is a LOT of space based content that was teased that was definitely intimated to be a priority before stuff like base building and what not (there is a huge amount of NPC content which has seemingly been dropped for instance) and I would rather that have been a priority as well. At this point however after a couple of years of what has largely just felt like tweaks to existing content I am just interested for something new no matter what it is

I remember space legs being mentioned back in the KickStarter, but I don’t remember personal bases. If my memory is correct (which it may not be) personal bases was a suggestion from the player base which came later.
Player built asteroid bases were certainly mentioned. In my mind this would have involved personalising it with equipment and what not however looking objectively that was in my head. A cut and paste copy of existing asteroid bases just to hide our ships was pretty much as far as was detailed the rest was just hopes from us lot I guess.
Let's not forget landing on volcanic world's in horizons. What we got was fumeroles!!! Not what I expected but for FD that was job done

Last edited:
Everybody has seen and read all that old stuff. I don't think anyone wants Elite to be a paste a base game. Some have billions of credits and nothing to spend it on besides re-buys. Buying bases and/or having them built over a period of time would be good overall boost for game play. Its just sounds dumb (MO) in a universe as huge as Elite to say our ship is our base.
Hmmmm I am torn here however. If bases do come I hope it is not content only affordable to those who cheesed the hell out of exploits or a "must mine void opals/what ever the current overpaid meta is" at the time.
I would much rather it be we drop some NPC colonists off at a tiny portable base and they expand or not depending on how well we look after them, that way it is long term content for everyone and not totally unachievable for the poor and an HR or so of fun for the mega billionaires before it is all done and built.
I think us servicing NPC's also fits better into the fabric of the game as well where we are just a small cog in the machine

From a business perspective space legs would be a good way to go not only would it unlock a HUGE extra market but put ED on par with all rivals.

Either way it's good to see Fdev expanding which can only be good for ED in the long run

ED would need to drop its standards pretty hugely to be on a par with any of its rivals.

I salute you, there are some comrades on this forum who would say black is white before admitting a mistake :)

Forgive me if i am missing something, and i am honestly not trying to be obtuse.... but is that not splitting hairs a bit?

FD have said a lot of things, be it KSer, dev diaries, DDF or live stream. All of them have been used as advertising platforms to sell the game, so is it not splitting hairs a bit ?

to me the important question is, has a feature been covered by an official FD representative?.... if it has then exactly under what platform it was said is less important than the fact it WAS said..... (not taking sides i am just curious).

Forgive me if i am missing something, and i am honestly not trying to be obtuse.... but is that not splitting hairs a bit?

FD have said a lot of things, be it KSer, dev diaries, DDF or live stream. All of them have been used as advertising platforms to sell the game, so is it not splitting hairs a bit ?

to me the important question is, has a feature been covered by an official FD representative?.... if it has then exactly under what platform it was said is less important than the fact it WAS said..... (not taking sides i am just curious).
The question in dispute was whether it was said in the KickStarter, not whether it was said at all. It's pretty academic, as even what Frontier say they will do can be undone.

No, No, No... The Shoot-em-up crowd would never stand for it, everybody wants to sit in a chair and shoot junk, it's clear that ED agree with that direction and just pay lip service to any other gameplay, the proof being that there are seven hundred and sixty eight gazillion gunz and related shooting stuff's and only a handful of other modules to play with!

There was an opportunity with the Exploration update, where dozens of different modules could have enhanced all aspects of exploring, including actually going planetside and taking samples, perhaps if your ship could support it analysing those samples yourself, Mining could have been the same and used not just as a stand alone 'thing to do' but to augment Exploration, perhaps the ability to set up mining units on a planet after a deep scan that revealed a specific 'rare' element... but no we get to shoot rocks planetside and blow them up in space, while Exploration went for a massless module, less travel and more cash... yeah, way to go!

It seems, from the 'get go' ED favoured a market that would accept less gameplay and support the occasional or casual commander, after all, when a game is sold the money is in the pocket, it's irrelevant how many times that customer loads up the game and actually plays it, so, get folks interested in what you're selling and deliver just that... make the news a few times, get the attention again and fire off an expansion.

If we do get legs I fear it won't be the one the dreamers imagine, it will be a fairly bare bones shooter for raids on general structures like megaships or whatever, look at the history of ship releases, and look at the way things have gone, the game professes that you play your own way..

Combat...Shoot stuff and get shot at
Merchant... Buy stuff and get shot at
Explorer... Scan stuff and get shot at (when you come back)

Ring me back when it changes!

FPS-style space legs would be just fine by me.

Indeed I'd take great delight in letting people get within touching distance of their ships before popping heads. Then moving onto the next little lamb who's completely oblivious and unaware of their surroundings.

ED would need to drop its standards pretty hugely to be on a par with any of its rivals.
The thing is for me ED has always been a space ship game to go the way of FPS games and have people running around is going to be weird. However thinking about it if it's done like the rest of it we can just ignore it, for example:

1) don't want to land on planets then simply don't.

2) don't want to drive on them don't buy a SRV

3) don't want to attack Thargoids then ignore NHSS and AX combat zones.

It's all geared for choice if we want to we can BUT it isn't forced upon us. If you don't want to walk about don't leave your ship ;)

On another thing it will give people another way to kill players now, landing on them, crashing into them or running them over. I can see the salt mountains now ;)

Top Bottom