PvP Patch Notes: Did 'Griefers' Get Removed?

Annoying use of Caps makes me Want to Dismiss the Possibility of Valid Arguments.

Annoying People by Attacking their Person instead of their Writing Style makes me want to put them on the Ignore List.

The fact you can use interstellar factors for bribing the authorities to clear bounties should be enough of a hint to you as to what kind of game Elite is. Members of the Pilots Federation are effectively above the law. This is by design.

Personally I would rather see player-driven solutions, definitely make bounty hunting more viable. Give them ways to track outlaws and such.

I know.
I am just always Annoyed when People think that a Game doing a Bad Job in Game Design are Hardcore. Without understanding the Meaning of what Hardcore Games even are.

I would not Mind such a Solution either by the way.
Taking Tibia for Example.
There was no NPC Police or anything there.
But there was a Magic Spell Allowing you to Track People.
Therefore RPKs could be Hunted Down by the Community.

And due to the rather Big Death Penalty. This meant that if you were such a Notorious RPK that People really Hated you.
You could just as well Uninstall the Game.
Because the Moment you Stepped out of the Bank or Temple you would be sure to get Hunted Down and Killed Until you basicly Fell back to lvl 0 and have your Character send Back to the Tutorial Zone.

This kind of thing Works as well.
Just I dont think for ED its a Feasible Solution due to the Heavy Instancing in ED and the Ability of People to Simply Park their Bounty in a Station and be Clean again.

The point was that his rebuy wasn't just the cost of his ship.
He didn't pay cost of ship + 10% as you suggested.
He paid cost of ship +1000% or more.

Immaterial.

Your idea of hand holding is a rebuy plus a 200 million fine?

I don't care if he's out in his mining ship trying to fetch enough void opals to afford a 70 million deficit.
Looks like a good opportunity for some ED justice, IMHO.

Well, I might need to be schooled here a little bit.
Are you saying he can just abandon his Anaconda and the 200 million fine and jump in another ship and run off free?

Even if that was the case he'd still have to build up another ship and run through the engineering grind.
That is a great deal of non-PvP work - which seems like a pretty thorough punishment.

Because I never Suggested that.
I made 2 Suggestions so far.
One was to add a Penalty of 10% of all your Assets Worth on Top of the Rebuy.
And the other was to Deny Criminals the Insurance Cover.

My Suggestion has never Included to Remove any of the Current Penalties.
Even if you want to play Wordgames and Try to Weasel out of it by claiming that the Rebuy would only be the Ship Cost.
I have never Suggested to Remove any other Penalties.

For your Info.
In my Suggestion you would Pay 10% of all of your Assets Value.
On Top of all other Penalties upon Death.

So in case of Harry Potter.
He had 230 Million on his Bank.
If you Recalculate the Value of his Conda which had an Insurance Value of 21 Million.
Assuming he is not Beta Player or anything thus getting the Full 5% Insurance Share.
Alone his Conda would be an Asset Worth 420 Million.
So even if we only Assume his Assets we can Guarantee here.

He would have 650 Million Worth of Assets.

So under my First Suggestion.
He would have Paid.

21 Million Insurance Cost for the Ship.
290 Million of Bounties and Fines.
And 65 Million of Assets Penalty
Total of 376 Million instead of 311 Million under current Rules.

On the other Suggestion.
He would have Paid.

420 Million for his Conda.
and 290 Million of Bounties and Fines.
So a Total of 710 Million instead of 311 Million from current Rules.

If we assume both Suggestions at Once he would even Shoot up to Pay 775 Million.

Seems to me that this Number is way Higher than the Current Penalties.

And Again Mate.
He has been Killing Tons of People.
All while being Handholded by ED so he didnt get Killed and could just Play Normally all the time if he wanted to.
ED Effectively gave him several Months leeway.
In any Hardcore Game he would have been Done Months ago.

And well.
Its fine that you give him Justice.
But if you dont Kill him while in the Wanted Ship.
He will basicly just get a 2 Million Rebuy for his other Ship and Respawn without any further Effect.
Not much in terms of Justice I think.
Not for someone who Racked up nearly 300 Million Credits worth of Bounties in a System where Killing someone gives you

Now for the System.
ED has Actually Tried to Change this up a bit.

Back then. Bounties Decayed. Where Only Local. And you could even Avoid some of it by Simply Dying in a Sidewinder causing your Bounties to go Dormant and Paying pretty much Nothing.

Then a Second System came Along. The Idea of Universal Bounties which Applied not just Locally. And also the Idea of putting the Bounty on the Ship instead of the Commander.
Thus not Allowing a Commander to just Drop into a Sidewinder and get Killed to Wipe the Bounties for most Part.
But this was fast Abused. Because Commanders just commited Crimes with a PvP Ship and then just Played Normally with their other Ships.

ED is not very Versatile in this.
But ED is Actively Trying to Improve it at least. I guess.
So they made the next Step.
Notoriety.
If your Reach higher Notoriety this will Apply to your other Ships because it Sticks to your Commander.
And Potentially you will Pay Penalties even if you get Killed in a Clean Ship.

But ED is still Handholding alot.
Notoriety cant go over 10 Points. And Decreases by 1 Point each 2 Hours. Even if your Docked at a Station and Just not Moving at all. (For example just letting the Computer Run over Night.)

So even if you got a 200 Million Bounty on your Ship.
All you have to do.
Is to Park your Ship in a Lawless Station.
Wait 20 Hours at max to let your Notoriety go down.

And Bam.
Your Absolutely Safe again.

Of course if you did it with your Main Ship you might be hindered a Bit.
But thats only if you do it with your main Ship.

Most People would Simply use a PvP Ship they dont care about and which they can get Cheaply.
Like a Fer de Lance or even a Vulture.
These Ships are more than enough to Grief others.

And if you really run such a High Bounty that the Bounty is absicly beyond your Ship.
You can at any Time just Buy a New Ship instead.
And Start with that.
To Avoid ending up Paying an Insane Bounty like Harry Potter did.

I do Hope that ED will try to Further Improve the System to Avoid this kind of Rubbish.
But I have Little Hope.
ED is and Stays an Arcade Game which wants to Hold the Hands of People as much as Possible.

People Denying the Handholding of ED can still end up like Harry Potter.
But thats because he Choose to do it like this.
If he had Accepted EDs Handholding he could have Avoided this pretty easily without any real Effort.

Zero months.

I doubt it.
According to the Screenshot all of this was Fines and Bounties.
You get what kind of Bounty for each Kill ? :)
5k ?
50k ?
If your Scanned with Illegal Stuff and dont Pay the Fine this might at least go into the 100k to Million Ranges.

It is Highly Unlikely that he did all that in less than a Month.
And Harry Potter was fairly Famous for Months already.

So its Fairly Safe to assume that he Racked this Up over the entire last Year.

I doubt it.
5k ?
50k ?
If your Scanned with Illegal Stuff and dont Pay the Fine this might at least go into the 100k to Million Ranges.

You are so clueless. Hello Pierce. I don't kill clean CMDRs so I might be just as clueless as you here, but the value of the rebuy might be included in the bounty. Not sure.

I don't believe you.
I think that you didn't know that he paid 300 million in fines.
The additional 65 is so arbitrary and silly as to be an obvious attempt at saving face.

Let me clarify that: I. Don't. Believe. You.

And Again Mate.
All while being Handholded by ED so he didnt get Killed and could just Play Normally all the time if he wanted to.
You aren't using the term hardcore in any commonly understood sense of the word.
Hardcore usually means murderers don't get any penalty, outside of player justice, whatsoever.

Getting the developer to do all your work isn't hardcore.
The word you're looking for is 'carebear', as much as I despise that term.

And if you really run such a High Bounty that the Bounty is absicly beyond your Ship.
And Start with that.
Buy a new ship and run the engineer grind?
Seems like both options (rebuy, or new ship) are awfully expensive.

ED is and Stays an Arcade Game which wants to Hold the Hands of People as much as Possible.
You're the one asking for the hand-holding.
You need FDev to punish other players for you?

Get out of here.

Here is Harry Potter's rebuy screen (he's posted it publicly, so it isn't naming and shaming).

I bring this up because as a person who has railed against PKs in the past - angry that they never actually suffer any real penalties - this screen is exhibit #1 for why I love Elite Dangerous. Clearly, with a 300 million fine a person who set about to do mischief does pay a heavy price. I don't want the price to be enough to exclude them from the game, but it should send them off to do some mining every here and again. The mining isn't for punishment, but rather to give players in Open the ability to enjoy a victory without having the killer return 20 seconds later to get revenge.

Any ways, this is a far larger fine than I would have suggested, even in my most virulent anti-PK days.

Here is Harry Potter's rebuy screen (he's posted it publicly, so it isn't naming and shaming).

I bring this up because as a person who has railed against PKs in the past - angry that they never actually suffer any real penalties - this screen is exhibit #1 for why I love Elite Dangerous. Clearly, with a 300 million fine a person who set about to do mischief does pay a heavy price. I don't want the price to be enough to exclude them from the game, but it should send them off to do some mining every here and again. The mining isn't for punishment, but rather to give players in Open the ability to enjoy a victory without having the killer return 20 seconds later to get revenge.

Any ways, this is a far larger fine than I would have suggested, even in my most virulent anti-PK days.

View attachment 129765

I've seen people casually rack up those kind of fines doing NPC murder over the span of a few days. Player killing will get you there SO much faster.

View attachment 129765
No, mining IS punishment! My eyes ACTUALLY bleed when I am forced to mine or do any activity that is required to make money in this game.

I've seen people casually rack up those kind of fines doing NPC murder over the span of a few days. Player killing will get you there SO much faster.
I saw a guy rack that up in a single day when he was trying to mess with our PMF, after a few days straight of 20-million-odd didn't shift us he decided to really go all-out. We just laughed as we watched the bounty counter go up and up and up 'cause we'd arranged an election in another system and kills didn't count any more. After the influence didn't budge he tried another time, then the next thing we saw his bounty board entry moved off to jameson memorial, then disappeared.
I'll laugh myself sick if I find out he actually paid that bounty off, it would have been cheaper for him to strip/clean the modules and sell the hull.

Annoying People by Attacking their Person instead of their Writing Style makes me want to put them on the Ignore List.

I know.
I am just always Annoyed when People think that a Game doing a Bad Job in Game Design are Hardcore. Without understanding the Meaning of what Hardcore Games even are.

I would not Mind such a Solution either by the way.
Taking Tibia for Example.
There was no NPC Police or anything there.
But there was a Magic Spell Allowing you to Track People.
Therefore RPKs could be Hunted Down by the Community.

And due to the rather Big Death Penalty. This meant that if you were such a Notorious RPK that People really Hated you.
You could just as well Uninstall the Game.
Because the Moment you Stepped out of the Bank or Temple you would be sure to get Hunted Down and Killed Until you basicly Fell back to lvl 0 and have your Character send Back to the Tutorial Zone.

This kind of thing Works as well.
Just I dont think for ED its a Feasible Solution due to the Heavy Instancing in ED and the Ability of People to Simply Park their Bounty in a Station and be Clean again.

Because I never Suggested that.
I made 2 Suggestions so far.
One was to add a Penalty of 10% of all your Assets Worth on Top of the Rebuy.
And the other was to Deny Criminals the Insurance Cover.

My Suggestion has never Included to Remove any of the Current Penalties.
Even if you want to play Wordgames and Try to Weasel out of it by claiming that the Rebuy would only be the Ship Cost.
I have never Suggested to Remove any other Penalties.

For your Info.
In my Suggestion you would Pay 10% of all of your Assets Value.
On Top of all other Penalties upon Death.

So in case of Harry Potter.
He had 230 Million on his Bank.
If you Recalculate the Value of his Conda which had an Insurance Value of 21 Million.
Assuming he is not Beta Player or anything thus getting the Full 5% Insurance Share.
Alone his Conda would be an Asset Worth 420 Million.
So even if we only Assume his Assets we can Guarantee here.

He would have 650 Million Worth of Assets.

So under my First Suggestion.
He would have Paid.

On the other Suggestion.
He would have Paid.

420 Million for his Conda.
and 290 Million of Bounties and Fines.
So a Total of 710 Million instead of 311 Million from current Rules.

If we assume both Suggestions at Once he would even Shoot up to Pay 775 Million.

Seems to me that this Number is way Higher than the Current Penalties.

And Again Mate.

And well.
Its fine that you give him Justice.
But if you dont Kill him while in the Wanted Ship.
He will basicly just get a 2 Million Rebuy for his other Ship and Respawn without any further Effect.
Not much in terms of Justice I think.
Not for someone who Racked up nearly 300 Million Credits worth of Bounties in a System where Killing someone gives you

Now for the System.
ED has Actually Tried to Change this up a bit.

Back then. Bounties Decayed. Where Only Local. And you could even Avoid some of it by Simply Dying in a Sidewinder causing your Bounties to go Dormant and Paying pretty much Nothing.

Then a Second System came Along. The Idea of Universal Bounties which Applied not just Locally. And also the Idea of putting the Bounty on the Ship instead of the Commander.
Thus not Allowing a Commander to just Drop into a Sidewinder and get Killed to Wipe the Bounties for most Part.
But this was fast Abused. Because Commanders just commited Crimes with a PvP Ship and then just Played Normally with their other Ships.

ED is not very Versatile in this.
But ED is Actively Trying to Improve it at least. I guess.
So they made the next Step.
Notoriety.
If your Reach higher Notoriety this will Apply to your other Ships because it Sticks to your Commander.
And Potentially you will Pay Penalties even if you get Killed in a Clean Ship.

But ED is still Handholding alot.
Notoriety cant go over 10 Points. And Decreases by 1 Point each 2 Hours. Even if your Docked at a Station and Just not Moving at all. (For example just letting the Computer Run over Night.)

So even if you got a 200 Million Bounty on your Ship.
All you have to do.
Is to Park your Ship in a Lawless Station.
Wait 20 Hours at max to let your Notoriety go down.

And Bam.
Your Absolutely Safe again.

Of course if you did it with your Main Ship you might be hindered a Bit.
But thats only if you do it with your main Ship.

Most People would Simply use a PvP Ship they dont care about and which they can get Cheaply.
Like a Fer de Lance or even a Vulture.
These Ships are more than enough to Grief others.

And Start with that.

I do Hope that ED will try to Further Improve the System to Avoid this kind of Rubbish.
But I have Little Hope.

People Denying the Handholding of ED can still end up like Harry Potter.
But thats because he Choose to do it like this.
If he had Accepted EDs Handholding he could have Avoided this pretty easily without any real Effort.

I doubt it.
5k ?
50k ?

Is this guy still spouting nonsense? 12 pages of gankers having civil discussions and this is the only guy here with a toxic attitude, but yet he can't see it and still thinks he's in the right.
Arrogance is bliss I guess.

And again, why are you capitalizing every other word? That must be exhausting, especially with the wall of text you've been typing.

Last edited:
I saw a guy rack that up in a single day when he was trying to mess with our PMF, after a few days straight of 20-million-odd didn't shift us he decided to really go all-out. We just laughed as we watched the bounty counter go up and up and up 'cause we'd arranged an election in another system and kills didn't count any more. After the influence didn't budge he tried another time, then the next thing we saw his bounty board entry moved off to jameson memorial, then disappeared.
I'll laugh myself sick if I find out he actually paid that bounty off, it would have been cheaper for him to strip/clean the modules and sell the hull.

Sounds like that was WAY faster than a month.

Sunless, buddy, look at what people are saying here. We're not doing it because there's some epic war between the Griefers and the Not Griefers - we're just trying to make it clear you've got some stuff to learn.

We all do all the time. Working as intended.

Top Bottom