Fix your bug-ridden game Frontier

Sounds a tremendously inefficient system where fixed bugs are overwritten and have to be 'fixed' again. Presumably this can happen on multiple occasions, so the merging would seem to be just as important as the fixing?

Actually its extremely efficient, which is why games like ED can be written and sold for such a low price. The ability for multiple engineers to work on the same code simultaneously and automatically merge changes into the main branch is what allows this. Sometimes it goes wrong, particularly if there have been some major rewites and feature additions. But what do you, seriously, expect for forty quid?

You can, of course, put measures into place to reduce bugs and issues to an absolute minimum, but these are extremely labour intensive and, therefore, extremely costly. This is why mission and safety critical software is so expensive (and still goes wrong, blowing up spacecraft, killing patients and crashing aeroplanes).

The rigor to which an developer develops and tests their software is a cost / benefit tradeoff. Frontier could implement more stringent and formal practices, but that would slow down development and increase costs. How much would you be prepared to pay for ED for it to be bug free?

Rediculous reply.
Would you like your carsdealer to say that to you when your car keeps breaking down after just being fixed?

If you kept insisting the car maker makes cars never made before, makes them fast, makes them have more and more features while all your previous dream-cars are broken to some extent: yeah, someone should gently let you know you are expecting too much from reality.

The rigor to which an developer develops and tests their software is a cost / benefit tradeoff. Frontier could implement more stringent and formal practices, but that would slow down development and increase costs. How much would you be prepared to pay for ED for it to be bug free?

That is basically it. If you're willing to spend more, have less features and slower development: you can have less bugs. Would this project have been feasibly, i.e. do enough people want that? Or is this genre primarily driven by theory-crafting-greatest-game-ever-virtual-life-in-space ragebois?

People don't want smaller-scope, slower-development but generally polished games. It doesn't get the OMG part of the brain going. :)

You might have noticed that we are talking about a £40 game, here, not a £10,000+ car.

You might not have noticed that Frontier is getting more than £40 out of their game. There's the micro transactions and I'm pretty sure that's a solid way for them to get more out of the game financially.

I'm not expecting much from Frontier. What I expect is a little bit more effort in reducing the issues that come with each new update. This can even be done with the additional help of the community by allowing participation in test releases. I'd rather not have new content until the previous content is in a solid state. I'm not expecting anything to be perfect. I expect the glaring issues to be fixed and the content that is provided up until that point to be enjoyable.

People don't want smaller-scope, slower-development but generally polished games. It doesn't get the OMG part of the brain going. :)
I'd suggest that people want what the developers said they could have for the price offered. The expectations were largely created by FDevs, not their customers.

How can a system that allows bugs to be re-introduced be efficient? Surely having to track a bug down more than once can never be described as 'extremely efficient'?

Because it allows for very rapid development. As I stated elsewhere, it's a trade-off. What do you want for your 40 quid? A game that isn't much different to how it was in 2016, but almost bug free, or a game with the features we have now, with a bunch of bugs that will probably be fixed in the next release.

You might not have noticed that Frontier is getting more than £40 out of their game. There's the micro transactions and I'm pretty sure that's a solid way for them to get more out of the game financially.

I'm not expecting much from Frontier. What I expect is a little bit more effort in reducing the issues that come with each new update. This can even be done with the additional help of the community by allowing participation in test releases. I'd rather not have new content until the previous content is in a solid state. I'm not expecting anything to be perfect. I expect the glaring issues to be fixed and the content that is provided up until that point to be enjoyable.

What you expect and what is practicable appear to be entirely different things.

Bottom line, if you don't like it, or the direction it's going, go play something else. Currently playing AC Odyssey until they get the issues resolved (which they will).

If you kept insisting the car maker makes cars never made before, makes them fast, makes them have more and more features while all your previous dream-cars are broken to some extent: yeah, someone should gently let you know you are expecting too much from reality.

It's actually like you bought a car and they added new features to it every time you brought it in for a service at no extra cost to you.

It's actually like you bought a car and they added new features to it every time you brought it in for a service at no extra cost to you.

True to a certain degree. As in you are not directly paying for it, but Frontier is getting a steady flow of income to continue to provide this 'free' content. So this content isn't as free as you make it appear to be. It's also sponsored by the community it self through micro transactions and not to forget those who purchased a LEP. They're not doing charity. It's paid for. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

It's not unreasonable to ask that they polish their updates more instead of rushing out new content. There is no point in rushing new content seeing the issues that come along with it. This is time and time again the case. People getting upset about the quality, Frontier having to frantically fix the mess they released. More time in polishing please. I couldn't care less if it takes longer. As long as the end result is content that is working and can be enjoyed from the start without major issues (common crashes for example) that could have been caught. For that part they even have a large community to assist them with that. So there is no excuse in that regard.

Yes, but the car comes back each time with new things wrong (or old ‘repaired’ things back again) every time the new features are added. You conveniently missed that one out! :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom