Patch Notes Update April Update - Patch Notes

Disclaimer: I’ve been playing the game only since January, so I am fairly new at all this. Also apologies for the lengthy post, but I needed this to get off my chest.

After reading pretty much all the posts in this thread I can’t help but feel a certain hypocrisy shining through. Let me explain:

1. The total number of players is not equal to “the community”. A community is a group of people that love a topic (in this case “the game”) so much that they are willing to share their experiences, give and receive advice, initiate activities for smaller and larger groups and communicate well. If a game can inspire all this I believe it is a good game. A game can also try to support such initiatives and exchange, but even an online multiplayer game has certain technical limits. The logical consequence is to use resources which are better suited for such purposes. The forum, discord, Youtube and websites like EDSM, Inara, to just name a few are better suited for this. In-game chat can only go so far. That is why community project like Distant Worlds 2 have been planned almost completely outside of the game. Getting involved in such community activities is something that requires initiative, which is not a bad thing, to find out “where the music plays”. But the community is typically much smaller than the total number of players.

2. Although much critical feedback given in the thread is justified (like the missing information about the systems), you have to understand that some of this is difficult to replicate in-game. For newcomers Guardians may mean nothing and even additional information will provide little help in deciding. In fact, if information is more than two clicks away “buried” in the codex the likelihood is that people will not read it to begin with (hell, I am not even reading the GalNet news most of the times). For experienced players the information may be superfluous to some extent because they already have all the mods. The right balance is difficult to find. And, in fact, the previous Community Goals have been announced not only in-game, but also via website, mail, forum and launcher. Those are just established channels for the communication with the community and I can’t really see why this now suddenly all has to be in-game only for Interstellar Initiatives. Obviously any in-game support is positive and helps the immersion, but to expect having everything only in-game from now on for an event that is designed to invite people to participate not only in the game but in the community that surrounds it sounds hypocritical for me. That expectation actually degrades the community which enjoys the game even then when they are not playing it. And Elite Dangerous has a great community, no doubt about it.

So let’s give feedback in a polite and concise manner as is the way of adult people (as quite a few have done), but let’s also accept that some things are done better outside of the game (at least at the moment) and that it is quite normal to expect from people in order to get involved beyond the game to sign up for a forum, discord or whatever the community prefers.

Didn't you freeze to death in the Arctic, because Frontier made your food cans out of lead? :)

Hey guys, just a quick question here.
Any estimate if/when there will be a bug fix update release?

They said "hopefully next week" last week and Community Managers haven't updated anything since then with progress (!)
They usually do patching on Tuesdays which has come and gone, so who knows now...

Meh, I'm not keen to log in and muck about with power priorities and other settings until they fix it. That SRV return resetting pips was bad enough, but at least it had a reliable trigger that could be avoided or compensated for. Randomly self resetting priorities in a knife edge power balance build ain't worth it.

Pretty much all my ships have undersized, overcharged power plants for the jump range.

On my main account I’m in Colonia experiencing framerates dropping as low as 11fps during hyperspace jumps both in windowed VR and full screen on my monitor. This has been happening since Sunday and during play today. I switched to my alt account sitting at Beagle Point and have started the journey home(ish) in VR and I’m getting a rock solid (capped) 60 FPS everywhere.

I’ve no idea what’s going on but it looks like I’ll be making some progress on my alt account for now.

Any place in close proximity to nebulae will experience an increase in hyperspace load times at higher Galaxy Map settings because the Galaxy Map settings are used to render the skybox of the system being jumped to during the transition. This can result in settings that are fine in the bubble, or Beagle Point, taking a very long time to load while inside, or within several jumps of nebulae.

You can reduce the Galaxy Map quality, revert any custom skybox settings you have, or manually limit the number of sample counts for nebulae.

if in GraphicsConfiguration.xml is a higher value here, then you will get a reduction in the FPS in the Colony and in the nebulae when jumping

<GalaxyBackground>
<High>
<LocalisationName>$QUALITY_HIGH;</LocalisationName>
<TextureSize>2048</TextureSize>
</High>

Any place in close proximity to nebulae will experience an increase in hyperspace load times at higher Galaxy Map settings because the Galaxy Map settings are used to render the skybox of the system being jumped to during the transition. This can result in settings that are fine in the bubble, or Beagle Point, taking a very long time to load while inside, or within several jumps of nebulae.

You can reduce the Galaxy Map quality, revert any custom skybox settings you have, or manually limit the number of sample counts for nebulae.

The trouble was it was happening across both accounts - admittedly I hadn't made that clear, only mentioning it was gone the last time I logged in at BP. It has also completely cleared up too with stable frame rates regardless of location or activity. I meant to edit my post but got carried away playing in the judder and shudder free environment I found myself in:D

It's interesting to know that about the sky box rendering from the Galaxy map settings. I have my Galaxy map set to low as I'm usually in VR but have changed the GraphicsConfig for the galactic background.

On my main account I’m in Colonia experiencing framerates dropping as low as 11fps

that's why my main account is parked until frontier patches this, and that's why i use my second account, this one, to check if frontier patched this.

i see they haven't, are probably trying hard to resurrect jesus (to 'nurture' the community) instead ...

oh well, see you guys tomorrow then. happy narratives!

where can we / i find the Hot-Fix notes? possible to get these? or where do i need to look. Anybody got a link? cant find it

No idea. They do secret squirrel patches introducing things for players to find don't they?
In any case, like you, I haven't found anything on the forums to "see" about this patch, so have asked in this thread because someone mentioned that a patch is incoming.

Top Bottom