General / Off-Topic Who _isn't_ a literal forum dad?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I don't feel the above spectrum does justice to me. I'm biologically male and I'm sure I present as fairly masculine, but when I ponder my own identity I am so far beyond gender that I may as well be talking about the gender of fire, time, or positrons. Someone asks me if I'm a man or a woman, I'm most likely to respond with "better".

Frankly, I think most people would be far better off if the concept of gender vanished from conscious and unconscious consideration entirely, except when referring to fantasy or historical contexts.

I don't have any kids, but if and when I do, I cannot imagine raising them differently based on their biological sex, and their gender identity, if they decide such a thing suits them, will be left entirely to them.
And as long as we aren't talking laws or societal policies that legally force me to address you as a positron, I'm down with it.

Edit: though, I do have to say that this and a few other positions I've seen you take here in Off Topic have come as a bit of a surprise to me, to be perfectly honest. Generally speaking, your ingame analysis have been firmly planted in logic and reason, whereas embracing gender fluidity seems like a fundamentally illogical position, for instance.

Last edited:
Serious question (I vaguely recall seeing a poll thread posted a while back, but can't find it). I was recently suprised to find that yes, basically everyone on the forum is a middle-aged man or woman, to the point where it's the rule rather than the exception. Even when I brought it up in-thread, all I got was affirmation that yes, everyone is fairly, uh, mature.

Is anyone here not above the age of 25? (sorry people in your late 20's, you're too far gone)
The thing is kiddo, that you'll grow old like the rest of us. It's just a question of time. Enjoy it while you're young. The babes, the booze and the "ignorance" makes life a party, even though math is hard. If anyone offers you a red pill, go for the blue one ;)

Serious question (I vaguely recall seeing a poll thread posted a while back, but can't find it). I was recently suprised to find that yes, basically everyone on the forum is a middle-aged man or woman, to the point where it's the rule rather than the exception. Even when I brought it up in-thread, all I got was affirmation that yes, everyone is fairly, uh, mature.

Is anyone here not above the age of 25? (sorry people in your late 20's, you're too far gone)

Gen-X here, and I've been told I can't call myself middle aged until the average lifespan hits 100.

There are two reasons why you find older folks here:

- First, most 20 year olds don't use forums. Xers one the other hand remember when they were invented. Heck, I even ran my own BBS for awhile before "graphical web browsers" came out (remember Mosaic in 93?)

- Second, and probably more to the point, there's just a lot more people over 25 playing games than under 25 ;-)

Fly Safe Young Commander!

o7

How many of us are:

Astronomy Geeks
Space Geeks
Aircraft Pilots (real life)
Engineers
Ex-military
Baby Boomers, or worse.

I fit all of them. :(

Yes, I’m from the US (Montana) and you’re from the UK, fair enough. We speak logic and reason here, what do you speak there?

It seems like an odd segue into transgender self identification to me, seeing as how the biological outliers between the male/female are irrelevant to the discussion topic. Would I be correct in assuming that you are talking about the concept of gender fluidity ie: gender being a malleable social construct? You seem a little hostile, and the inclusion of the 2nd & 3rd bars of your graph would seem to indicate yes.

Edited: 3 hours later and crickets, eh?

What that post rhetoric is known as locally here is 'putting word in people mouth' or subtlety introducing new information. All very passive aggressive. Iv meet at least one individual from Montana. They were in London. We do a lot of sarcasm. Its just from web. Farcry 5.

https://itspronouncedmetrosexual.co...estion-on-an-application-form-more-inclusive/

There is major research in this area.

What that post rhetoric is known as locally here is 'putting word in people mouth' or subtlety introducing new information. All very passive aggressive. Iv meet at least one individual from Montana. They were in London. We do a lot of sarcasm. Its just from web. Farcry 5.

https://itspronouncedmetrosexual.co...estion-on-an-application-form-more-inclusive/

There is major research in this area.
there's nothing passive aggressive about my stance: I have no interest in pseudo science at all. Misrepresenting our biological genders is subjective, and since it cannot rely on actual science to make it's case, it relies on claiming victim status wherever whenever possible, and making up pronouns on a daily basis. And no, the Far Cry V representation of Montana isn't particularly factual, and your introduction of it into the conversation is the only example of passive aggressiveness we've seen so far.

There are only two genders, feel free to change my mind:)

Last edited:
Too be fair even I can see that my posts were off topic re original op title not that they were ontopic to the original offtopic post, still well within standard forum replies to posts in general that already are off topic out the gate.

I mean, I did. For reference, am 18 years old.
What I can't pass is the bit where you have to, like, know physics in order to fly FAOff. Vector math is haaaaaard.

If you were to get on a spaceship and fly close to the speed of light toward alpha centauri then return to earth, can you calculate how many earth years would have past and corresponding your own time.

So all you need to do know is find an actual space ship and you are good to go. Don't forget to factor into the equation the earth time take to travel to the space port which could actually take longer traveling at non relativistic speeds and conforming to local legal speed limits.

My mother acts like a teenager. I told her I was playing Elite. She seems to think its the 84 version just with a reskin.

Last edited:

We are all gamers here. Which means we are all middle-aged men who still live at home with our parents, and none of us have even kissed a girl before! :ROFLMAO:

We are all gamers here. Which means we are all middle-aged men who still live at home with our parents, and none of us have even kissed a girl before! :ROFLMAO:
Heh, lots of us have spouses, houses/flats and more than one VR headset 😆. And as a side remark, gaming is no longer a social stigma as it was 20 years ago, thanks to YouTube I guess. And with things like oculus quest on the horizon, VR should get more mainstream too.

How many have spouses that also play elite? I know it's a non-zero, since I am aware of a few husband-wife, and wife-wife pairs, but do we know if it's a majority, a minority or a tiny fraction? I'd guess the last, since as myrm said, 99% of commanders have never even seen a woman since their mothers consigned them to the basement.

since as myrm said, 99% of commanders have never even seen a woman since their mothers consigned them to the basement.
Ummm... practicing tasseomancy just as you do here, and basing my bold claim on a narrow circle of friends I have, 100% of them have wives. One is divorcing though, but not for gaming reasons ;-) It's all moot because we don't have a bigger picture on that subject, even fdev doesn't ;-)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom