General / Off-Topic So... Do we have free will? :)

@Arry Yes it's all in the eye, but you'll find many people believing it's an absolute.

@jason If you're curious enough, you can't avoid going into rabbit holes, speaking 'bout free will ;)
Is that your way of admitting that the conversation is a form of mental masturbation? I do find the idea that an individual lacks free will to be absurd and somewhat harmful, but on the other hand kind of fascinating, too. As such, I really would like to know what you think of my npc comparison which strikes me as very apt, but no one has wanted to touch so far.

The thought experiment with the trolley is often used because it's easy to understand. It's an example of a paradox in Utilitarianism, which states that the right action is the "one that creates least misery or most happiness". Another one:

You're a doctor. In one room you have five terminal patients, all needing an organ transplant. In another room you have a healthy patient that came in for a rutine check. Utilitarianism states that the right thing to do is to kill the healthy patient, and give the organs to the five terminal ones. It might be equally far out, but then think about how we choose, which patients to cure IRL.

Why ethics? Because choosing between right and wrong demands that you have free will. And that utilitarianism is much more common than one might think. It's just rarely called by it's "ism". Also many people excuse themselves by the "lack of free will".

There are other ethic theories, like that you have to do as one of the many "books" says, ore that you should trust your gut feeling. I tend to go for the last one, even though it's perhaps the most fuzzy one.

Your examples of ethical dilemmas divorce morality from the equation, and when you separate the two (or remove morality altogether, which I suspect is part of the end game for some) you open the door to atrocity.

Your examples of ethical dilemmas divorce morality from the equation, and when you separate the two (or remove morality altogether, which I suspect is part of the end game for some) you open the door to atrocity.
I agree, but it's still bloody hard to figure out, what's the right choice in many cases. That is why politicians, and the rest of us, often disagree.

I agree, but it's still bloody hard to figure out, what's the right choice in many cases. That is why politicians, and the rest of us, often disagree.
When it comes to choosing between politicians we're generally presented with the choice between drinking poison and jumping out of a plane without a parachute. With that said, I do seriously take the moral consistency of the person in question into serious consideration before making a choice.

If your moral consistency is well developed and built on a solid foundation it should be rather easy to make those decisions.
Making those decisions is complicated due to the fact that we are so often blatantly lied to by these people about where they stand. All too often we are faced with nothing but the lesser of two evils to choose from. Of course, considering the data and coming to a conclusion and actually deciding which really is the lesser of the two evils is, arguably, an expression of free will.

The thought experiment with the trolley is often used because it's easy to understand. It's an example of a paradox in Utilitarianism, which states that the right action is the "one that creates least misery or most happiness". Another one:

You're a doctor. In one room you have five terminal patients, all needing an organ transplant. In another room you have a healthy patient that came in for a rutine check. Utilitarianism states that the right thing to do is to kill the healthy patient, and give the organs to the five terminal ones. It might be equally far out, but then think about how we choose, which patients to cure IRL.

Why ethics? Because choosing between right and wrong demands that you have free will. And that utilitarianism is much more common than one might think. It's just rarely called by it's "ism". Also many people excuse themselves by the "lack of free will".

There are other ethic theories, like that you have to do as one of the many "books" says, ore that you should trust your gut feeling. I tend to go for the last one, even though it's perhaps the most fuzzy one.

That's absurd for many reasons; primum non nocere being the biggest one.
Death is perfectly natural.
Patients have autonomy.
Utilitarianism would be assisted suicide/euthanasia for the terminals.

Have you heard of triage?

If we have the available resources, then we extend help to as many folks as possible.
That's not a contradiction.

Professional ethics are explicit and they may run counter to personal morals.

I think it also takes a lot of integrity to set aside personal morals for professional ethics; eg a black physician saving the life of someone with racist tattoos.

@Bob
Yes I know that the thought experiment is absurd. That's why I used it. However in countries where you have public healthcare, you often need to choose. Some treatments can be very costly, and even though such a treatment can save a human life, some people think that it would be better to treat a lot of patients with non-lethal problems. We're getting away from "free will" and healthcare is a taboo, but it is just an example of ethics not always being an easy task. Many times such descisions are too much of a hot potato for the politicians, so instead they leave it to the doctors, and I know several examples where the doctors have found it "difficult" to set aside personal moral.

Ethics can roughly be divided into to categories. One where the consequence means everything, and the other where the intention is all that matters. IRL we often use some sort of utilitarianism with an "emergency brake" that we can pull if our gut feeling tells us that the utilitarian choice is absurd.

All of that assumes free will. Yet, quite many people believe that it's an illusion:

@Bob
Yes I know that the thought experiment is absurd. That's why I used it. However in countries where you have public healthcare, you often need to choose. Some treatments can be very costly, and even though such a treatment can save a human life, some people think that it would be better to treat a lot of patients with non-lethal problems. We're getting away from "free will" and healthcare is a taboo, but it is just an example of ethics not always being an easy task. Many times such descisions are too much of a hot potato for the politicians, so instead they leave it to the doctors, and I know several examples where the doctors have found it "difficult" to set aside personal moral.

Ethics can roughly be divided into to categories. One where the consequence means everything, and the other where the intention is all that matters. IRL we often use some sort of utilitarianism with an "emergency brake" that we can pull if our gut feeling tells us that the utilitarian choice is absurd.

All of that assumes free will. Yet, quite many people believe that it's an illusion:

No it's absurd because you are misrepresenting medical ethics and utilitarianism.
Physicians make tough choices all the time, but those aren't them.

If you want a gander at real ethical dilemmas, I suggest the AMA:

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/ethics

There is a team building, role play game, called the kidney machine. 6 candidates; all equal and a set time, to make a unanimous decision, for just one to survive, by using the machine. Don't decide on time and every one dies. You chose one and five die. The game has nothing to do with ethics; it is just about convincing others to follow your choice.

Last edited:
I think it also takes a lot of integrity to set aside personal morals for professional ethics; eg a black physician saving the life of someone with racist tattoos.

Actually, I find the reverse is the more interesting dilemma.

Case

Dr. Simms is a new physician at Harbor Clinic, a primary care practice in a small town. He does not yet have a full panel of patients so he has agreed to fill in for his colleague Dr. Chen while he is on vacation. Things are finally starting to wind down after a busy day, when he welcomes his next patient. Ms. Smith, a 53-year-old woman, has been a patient of Dr. Chen’s for the past five years. She is here because of her diabetes, which she has been controlling with diet and metformin. As he steps into the room, Ms. Smith exclaims “Oh, are you the new doctor? It’s so nice to see a black doctor here! When did you start?” Dr. Simms hesitates for a second before responding, “Uh, yes, I just started a month ago and I’m filling in for Dr. Chen today. So I see you are coming in for your regular diabetes check-up?” Dr. Simms introduces himself to Ms. Smith and explains that he is replacing Dr. Chen for the week.

Ms. Smith seems to be doing well with her diabetes control. Her A1c is well within her goal range, and she has been able to keep to her diet and exercise regimen on most days. As the visit is about to end, Dr. Simms asks whether there is anything he can do for Ms. Smith. “Well, actually, I have this mole, I don’t know I’m a bit worried about it.”

“OK, let’s take a look,” Dr. Smith responds. After asking a few questions and examining the mole Dr. Simms reassures Ms. Smith that it is actually a benign skin tag.

Ms. Smith smiles, relieved. “Thank you so much! I was so worried about that!”

As she is walking towards the door, she turns back towards Dr. Smith: “You know, I really like you. I mean, Dr. Chen is good, but sometimes I can barely even understand what he’s saying. You know? The accent? I mean, everywhere you go now, it’s immigrants. Sometimes you just want someone who looks like you, you know?” Dr. Simms is slightly taken aback and does not know how to respond. Before he can say anything, Ms. Smith adds: “Can you be my doctor from now on?”

Soliciting and honoring patient preferences has become an increasing focus of our health care system—a core tenet of patient-centered care [2]. Ms. Smith states clearly her preference to be seen by an African American. She is not alone. When allowed to choose their physicians, patients, especially African Americans, tend to choose those of the same race or ethnicity [3-5].

This choice has an important impact on the health care experience and the delivery of care. Visits between race-concordant doctors and patients have been found to be longer and to correlate with greater patient satisfaction and physician engagement [3, 4, 6]. Many African American and Hispanic patients feel that race concordance positively influences a physician’s empathy [7]. Furthermore, patients with race-concordant physicians, especially African Americans, are more likely to use needed services, including preventive care, and less likely to delay seeking care [8, 9].

This empirical evidence is bolstered by legal and ethical principles. The AMA Code of Medical Ethics [10] makes clear that patients have the right to choose their clinicians. An analysis in the UCLA Law Review that explored this issue came to a similar conclusion. The author argued that accommodating a patient’s preference for a physician of a particular race or ethnicity is consistent with most prevailing medical ethical principles, including informed consent and respect for autonomy, and that no existing civil rights legislation could be used to bar this practice [11].

@Bob

I would say that having ethics and therefore, being 'controlled' by your own ethics; which have been programmed into you from birth, removes a certain amount of free will.

Therefore logically: Only psychopaths and to a degree, sociopaths; would have an unlimited degree of free will.

I would say that having ethics and therefore, being 'controlled' by your own ethics; which have been programmed into you from birth, removes a certain amount of free will.

Therefore logically: Only psychopaths and to a degree, sociopaths; would have an unlimited degree of free will.

I think these are useful distinctions:

What are the differences between values, morals and ethics? They all provide behavioral rules, after all. It may seem like splitting hairs, but the differences can be important when persuading others.
Values

Values are the rules by which we make decisions about right and wrong, should and shouldn't, good and bad. They also tell us which are more or less important, which is useful when we have to trade off meeting one value over another.

Dictionary.com defines values as:

n : beliefs of a person or social group in which they have an emotional investment (either for or against something); "he has very conservatives values"
Morals

Morals have a greater social element to values and tend to have a very broad acceptance. Morals are far more about good and bad than other values. We thus judge others more strongly on morals than values. A person can be described as immoral, yet there is no word for them not following values.

Dictionary.com defines morals as:

n : motivation based on ideas of right and wrong
Ethics

You can have professional ethics, but you seldom hear about professional morals. Ethics tend to be codified into a formal system or set of rules which are explicitly adopted by a group of people. Thus you have medical ethics. Ethics are thus internally defined and adopted, whilst morals tend to be externally imposed on other people.

If you accuse someone of being unethical, it is equivalent of calling them unprofessional and may well be taken as a significant insult and perceived more personally than if you called them immoral (which of course they may also not like).

Dictionary.com defines ethics as:

A theory or a system of moral values: “An ethic of service is at war with a craving for gain"

The rules or standards governing the conduct of a person or the members of a profession.

Ethics of principled conviction asserts that intent is the most important factor. If you have good principles, then you will act ethically.

Ethics of responsibility challenges this, saying that you must understand the consequences of your decisions and actions and answer to these, not just your high-minded principles. The medical maxim 'do no harm', for example, is based in the outcome-oriented ethics of responsibility.

Top Bottom