Allow use of pre 3.3 Advanced Discovery Scanner

Can’t say I miss flying in supercruise for 15+ minutes just to look at a rock I thought was interesting. Or to each planet individually, if they were spaced far enough apart.

The changes were great for a lazy explorer like me. Just whip a periscope around a couple times and move on, as opposed to peeping a map and flying over to look at/get a detailed scan of a body.

They’ve added probes for mapping, too, so if you absolutely insist on supercrusin’ around to each body in a system, you still have reason to do so.

I totally miss flying in supercruise for 15 minutes, and flying to each planet individually.

Happily though, restoring my ability to do that would have absolutely no impact on your gameplay :)

But like, you still can, man.

I still do.
But now I have to find the bodies I want to fly to using parallax, because the FSS is [opinion] deeply unpleasant to use and destroys any sense of achievement of scanning a system [/opinion], such that I'll do anything I can to avoid having to interact with it.

After you reveal the bodies via FSS, don’t they appear in the regular system map, where you can target them?

Edit: I can’t tell if people want to apply less effort or more? What’s a good balance?

FSS is easier for getting discovery credit, because you don’t have to fly close for a scan, but it makes you actually do something to find interesting bodies, instead of doing the ‘ol map check.

Is it a combination of instant-access to information, and supercrusing that people want?

Last edited:
After you reveal the bodies via FSS, don’t they appear in the regular system map, where you can target them?
That is besides the point, from the perspective of at least some the FSS process in itself adds an unpleasant time sink that unveils more than is either desirable or necessary for certain approaches to exploration.

However, whether people prefer one system or the other is besides the point - options were removed that should not have been. It is that simple really.

Simply running the Discovery Scanner, and looking at the system map is not really great gameplay
That's Your personal opinion.

Besides, it is entirely possible for you to jump into a system and run the scanner, and then sell all the dat you get by 'exploring' using this method.
Hence the proposed changes for the introduction of modified ADS or system map charter if You will where one would not get any credits by simply honking.

I'd prefer to see exploration developed further
So does everyone. It's the aspect that's quite behind both mining and combat.

I must have missed that, because the only options available in the old method were to jump into a system, 'honk', look at the system map and fly upto a planet to scan it - is that what is being referred to?
Please, read the thread. At least first few pages. Pardon me not linking particular posts now but i will do my best to provide them for You tomorrow so You can stay up to date without having to read through everything if You wish :)

Regardless, there was nothing great about the old method. The new method is far better.
That, again, is Your personal opinion.

FSS is easier for getting discovery credit,
We are here not because we want credits, take them away for all i care.
The thing is that at least one exploration playstyle has been made unavailable through FSS. And rather than asking for FSS to be removed / altered we are kindly asking for an introduction of optional module that would allow such playstyle to be used again in a way that noone is affected in a negative way.

Edit: I can’t tell if people want to apply less effort or more? What’s a good balance?

FSS is easier for getting discovery credit, because you don’t have to fly close for a scan, but it makes you actually do something to find interesting bodies, instead of doing the ‘ol map check.

Is it a combination of instant-access to information, and supercrusing that people want?

It's kinda both.
Less effort to determine if a system is worth scanning, more effort to actually scan it.

But bear in mind that it's not just one gameplay style that got broken by the FSS, there are at least 3 or 4. All of which were developed over years of using the ADS and got totally messed up by the FSS. Whilst 'nobody' actually liked the ADS, we worked around it to have fun. Bringing it back as an option is an easy way for FDev to let us have fun again, whilst allowing people who like the FSS to carry on using it.

I guess you missed my post that followed, which basically suggested that if the changes proposed can be re-introduced in some way - perhaps by not having certain exploration modules installed - then fair enough.
The thing is that the FSS is built-in so your idea does not actually make any sense, unless you are going to impose the fact that if you DO NOT want the map reveal then you HAVE to install a special module. Which is a pretty ridiculous idea when you think about it.

The thing is that the FSS is built-in so your idea does not actually make any sense, unless you are going to impose the fact that if you DO NOT want the map reveal then you HAVE to install a special module. Which is a pretty ridiculous idea when you think about it.

Yeah but the important part was the sentiment of "oh, yeah, that wouldn't bother me, so go for it"

So if we got the old instant system map after an ADS honk, but retained the FSS for lazy people(like me), as well as the new probing system, that would be cool?

Like, the FSS would remain, but be completely optional?

You could still get that instant view of the map, and could manually cruise on up to planets like we used to, but say you didn’t feel like it, you could use an FSS instead?

Which still doesn't explain why a mutual exclusive solution is such a no-go to you. I'm pretty sure (and you know it) that most people that are pleased with the current state would have no issues with that solution. I've already tried to explain why both methods at the same time are a no-go to me. If you can't find it:

;)

It's not a 'no-go'. If that's what FDev offer me, I'll take it, since it's way better than what we have now.
I just don't see any reason why they shouldn't coexist.

I've DEFINITELY said this somewhere in these 84 pages already.

So if we got the old instant system map after an ADS honk, but retained the FSS for lazy people(like me), as well as the new probing system, that would be cool?

You could still get that instant view of the map, and could manually cruise on up to planets like we used to, but say you didn’t feel like it, you could use an FSS instead?

Yep, that's what we're asking for, except FSS stays as is, ADS is the optional one.

Yes but the point of the thread is that the map reveal would require the sacrifice of an optional slot which could otherwise be used for something else - the new module could also have power requirements. Default capability would be the FSS.

Perhaps the FSS needs to be changed so that it isn't built in...
There is no logic to that at all, there is no good reason why the two systems could not co-exist.

[EDIT]Also there is the point you would probably annoy most FSS users unless you add yet another optional slot to EVERY ship in ED.[/EDIT]

Top Bottom