An essay to FDev:

An Xbox user? LOL.

Needs to buy a PC... LOL... or a monitor that adjusts for Color-Blindness. Those have been around for years now.

The HUD color talk trivializes the problem. It goes beyond simple adjustments to the HUD Colors. You'd need a proper filter like the ones in other games, or an assistive mode such as that provided by third party software or "smart" monitors. Most of the HUD outrage is about personal preference, not concern for the Color-blind. I'd go as far as to say that some people are exploiting the situation just to get what they want.

Last edited:
There is a difference between design and decisions, you don't need to know about design to see when X is unbalanced. We are talking about expertise in an area of the game, not SQL programming or game development degree. And that last issue is what communication is for, expecting X proposal to work at the first try is just being unrealistic.

Which is precisely why, as I've repeatedly stated, player feedback should be reviewed, but players should not be directly involved in the design process. It's also why internal process needs to be improved, including hiring professional play testers as full time players.

So what? That's quite natural from any group of people who decide on anything.

This is where stake enters into it. Even if some players considered to be experts are consulted and they have the best intentions for improving the game, if things go wrong, or if their ideas and comments aren't all that great, or if they can't agree on some significant design aspects, or if they lose interest in the game or design process, or decide to go travelling for a few months and don't have time to be involved, or if they don't really have the required level of expertise despite their reputation, they lose little to nothing, as they have no material stake in the project. Their jobs and livelihood are not on the line, nor is their employability. Of course it's Frontier's ultimate responsibility to make the best choices for the game, but that again leads back to taking feedback seriously, but not having players as part of the design committee.

Then of course, it's more than likely that each consulted player expert is going to have a bias for their own wishlist of features and mechanics that they'll push, whereas Frontier have to consider the game overall.

And thus applying such metrics to their employees as well is irrelevant.

Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean while they're hiring game designers and developers? Player expertise is not usually expected in someone applying for such a role. But if you want to hire or consult someone who has such expertise, then it would be beneficial to have a reliable metric. Otherwise, as mentioned, hiring professional play testers to become experts in the game by playing it full time, and then leveraging their reports and suggestions for design improvements would be a more controlled and consistently reliable process, but would not preclude paying attention to feedback from the player base.

Good then, next question, what happends with those who are always called experts even though they don't have such certifications?

I don't know what happens with them. What's supposed to happen? In what context and for what purpose? What's at stake? What degree of reliability of their expertise is acceptable in the circumstances?

If the duck quacks, fix the EBL.

I once gave an elephant to my friend to keep in his room. He thanked me genuinely. I said don't mention it.

🥁 badoom tish

On a semi-related note, what about this for the Frontier store?

EBL

Which is precisely why, as I've repeatedly stated, player feedback should be reviewed, but players should not be directly involved in the design process. It's also why internal process needs to be improved, including hiring professional play testers as full time players.

The devil is in the details, but I definetly agree on the bolded part.

This is where stake enters into it. Even if some players considered to be experts are consulted and they have the best intentions for improving the game, if things go wrong, or if their ideas and comments aren't all that great, or if they can't agree on some significant design aspects, or if they lose interest in the game or design process, or decide to go travelling for a few months and don't have time to be involved, or if they don't really have the required level of expertise despite their reputation, they lose little to nothing, as they have no material stake in the project. Their jobs and livelihood are not on the line, nor is their employability. Of course it's Frontier's ultimate responsibility to make the best choices for the game, but that again leads back to taking feedback seriously, but not having players as part of the design committee.

Then of course, it's more than likely that each consulted player expert is going to have a bias for their own wishlist of features and mechanics that they'll push, whereas Frontier have to consider the game overall.

Availability and incentives are a very real issues but honestly, it's not hard to see who actually knows their **** when talking about a certain topic in ED and more often than not, the good players know more about X feature than FD themselves, maybe that can be considered as a benchmark to "test expertise".

Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean while they're hiring game designers and developers? Player expertise is not usually expected in someone applying for such a role. But if you want to hire or consult someone who has such expertise, then it would be beneficial to have a reliable metric. Otherwise, as mentioned, hiring professional play testers to become experts in the game by playing it full time, and then leveraging their reports and suggestions for design improvements would be a more controlled and consistently reliable process, but would not preclude paying attention to feedback from the player base.

I already gave you a solid test of expertise for the case of PvP via a contest.

I don't know what happens with them. What's supposed to happen? In what context and for what purpose? What's at stake? What degree of reliability of their expertise is acceptable in the circumstances?

1º Well, you have people who are experts but have had no real test for their expertise but rather their contributions and work over time spoke for themselves.

2º I'm talking in a general context and this includes ED, if there are plenty of people who are called and treated as experts in lets say, science, why can't the same be done for something much more trivial such as a game?

3º Being an "expert" has no inmediate consecuences, it's not a job, it's not a responsability.

4º That is completely dependent on what you are talking about, different jobs demand different levels of precision and failure rate..

DDastardly00

D
I'm sorry but I stopped reading at HUD colors being the "elephant in the room". No, no, no they are not. Surely this is a farce right? Are you a writer for the Onion? Because if you are, well played. Tired of threads like this, honestly you people should go back to playing COD, or whatever it is that you do when you're not here complaining.

The devil is in the details, but I definetly agree on the bolded part.

Availability and incentives are a very real issues but honestly, it's not hard to see who actually knows their **** when talking about a certain topic in ED and more often than not, the good players know more about X feature than FD themselves, maybe that can be considered as a benchmark to "test expertise".

I already gave you a solid test of expertise for the case of PvP via a contest.

1º Well, you have people who are experts but have had no real test for their expertise but rather their contributions and work over time spoke for themselves.

2º I'm talking in a general context and this includes ED, if there are plenty of people who are called and treated as experts in lets say, science, why can't the same be done for something much more trivial such as a game?

3º Being an "expert" has no inmediate consecuences, it's not a job, it's not a responsability.

4º That is completely dependent on what you are talking about, different jobs demand different levels of precision and failure rate..

I'm sure there's a way to put together a metric based on various factors, from contribution, to reputation, to demonstrated knowledge, and rank and achievements in the game, among others. But if Frontier don't have any real experts among their ranks, they may not be the best judges on who actually is an expert.

I do think though that a person who both plays and develops the game is going to have a certain level of expertise beyond that of one who only plays or only develops, so perhaps the developers should be encouraged to play more? I don't actually know how regularly they play, so I can't judge. There might be some Frontier developers who do play the game quite a bit, but are just poor at design, balance, and thinking mechanics through. Again, that's where process helps.

Let's just agree to what we can, which is that Frontier should listen to those veteran players who can demonstrate and articulate some expertise in a given aspect of the game. We can agree to disagree regarding the role those experts are given in the design process. I think a qualitative analysis of their feedback would be beneficial and sufficient if the appropriate learnings are derived, and your opinion is that they should be more directly involved in design decisions (though I don't think you've ever said so outright, so apologies if I'm assuming incorrectly).

I'm sure there's a way to put together a metric based on various factors, from contribution, to reputation, to demonstrated knowledge, and rank and achievements in the game, among others. But if Frontier don't have any real experts among their ranks, they may not be the best judges on who actually is an expert.

I do think though that a person who both plays and develops the game is going to have a certain level of expertise beyond that of one who only plays or only develops, so perhaps the developers should be encouraged to play more? I don't actually know how regularly they play, so I can't judge. There might be some Frontier developers who do play the game quite a bit, but are just poor at design, balance, and thinking mechanics through. Again, that's where process helps.

Let's just agree to what we can, which is that Frontier should listen to those veteran players who can demonstrate and articulate some expertise in a given aspect of the game. We can agree to disagree regarding the role those experts are given in the design process. I think a qualitative analysis of their feedback would be beneficial and sufficient if the appropriate learnings are derived, and your opinion is that they should be more directly involved in design decisions (though I don't think you've ever said so outright, so apologies if I'm assuming incorrectly).

It's a deal then.

You can PM it, but having a few cases where the rules are actually enforced doesn't make the application consistent.

PM'd. We have no idea how consistent it is. It might be quite consistent with that person already having gone through the initial slap on the wrist stage and still continued which led to the perma bans.

The cheating revelations have put plenty of problems in the game in a new light for me. If you need a TL;DR, I won't mince words. I'm beginning to really lose confidence in you guys. I'm not sure if you guys can handle this development anymore.

Now, I'm not going to say stopping cheaters is easy. There's a whole slew of problems that come with anti-cheat. It's difficult. I understand.

But let's talk the elephant in the room. HUD colors. Simple hacks were able to modify HUD colors exactly how we've been requesting from you guys for years now. And yet, you guys say that it's impossible given how the code was implemented. FDev, are you lying to us? Or are you incompetent? If you can't implement a simple method of HUD color change (there's a whole colorblind community that you're screwing here), how can we trust you with the development of the game to you going forward? If anything, you should take some pointers from those hackers. They might know the game better than you do.

And if you lied to us, then you're a lazy developer and a liar, and deserve no respect from this community. If this is the case, end the dialogue here. I want nothing more from you.

But speaking of knowing the game better than you do. This amazing community that you've fostered: they know this game better than you do. By far. We're a hardcore community that learns all the ins-and-outs, all the ups-and-downs. This game lives and dies by having an active community, yet you choose to not interact with it whatsoever. I can't understand why, but I'm going to try to persuade you to change anyway.

Enter right: Ubisoft and DICE LA.

Let's talk DICE first. Anyone remember Battlefield 4? I'm sure some of you do, and if you don't, I suggest you look into it. Both Battlefield 4 and later Rainbow 6 Siege are the greatest comebacks in gaming history, and I want you to learn something from them. Battlefield 4 launched in a miserable state: absolutely unplayable. Glitches, server issues, even cheating: all rampant. This went on for a year and a half under the reins of DICE Stockholm. Here's what DICE LA did to turn things around:

LISTEN TO YOUR COMMUNITY.

Work with them! Your community knows your game better than you ever will! And there's no shame in that. But you need to listen. DICE LA immediately became more transparent with its community and it benefited greatly. They created the PTE or Player Test Environment, a, then, revolutionary model that is now used today by several developers for its effectiveness. There is no benefit to being a black box. Let the community actively work with you on the game development. Take feedback seriously. And don't be afraid to make bold moves. Doing something will inevitably upset a few people. Doing nothing upsets everyone. Just don't pull off another drag munitions buff. That will definitely upset everyone.

Now Ubisoft. Rainbow 6 Siege. Its success story is more than its development. It's also a marketing story. But let's talk about a specific instance where Ubisoft risked everything and changed the face of the game forever for the better.

Operation Health.

A tired joke among Rainbow 6 community members, "Operation health is basically a three-month period to we will take to fixing and repairing the game." Now, I say joke because Siege always has its fair share of issues, but let's see what Operation Health is in reference to what you're doing right now and how you could follow in Operation Health's footsteps.

You have stated that there will be no update until 2020. While this might stir up anger by some in the community. I disagree with them. This is acceptable. You have also stated that it will focus on small updates that will improve quality of life.

Here's the issue. My quality of life has improved minimally in this game. On the contrary, for a good week, QoL was much worse than it was before then. All these glitches that were introduced as a result of poor QA testing.

But Operation Health, likewise, was a bold move that angered its community, yet it brought about QoL updates that people can't imagine living without today. It was a clear success. Can you say you're doing the same?

If you say you're going to do something, be serious about it. If we have to wait until 2020 for the next update, we won't mind waiting a bit longer for better QA testing. You did not have to push the April update out in such a rushed manner. It did not affect the game greatly. And at it's launch only brought more problems.

Also much like DICE LA, Ubisoft also created the TTS or Technical Test Server and actively worked with the community to see what needed fixing and how it could be fixed.

I cannot stress this enough.

If you can, please do the same. And if you cannot, at least have an open dialogue with your community. Developer direct. We appreciate your community managers but a developer liaison is what we really need. Let us know what is holding back Ice Planets and Fleet Carriers. We'd love to know. We might be able to help. Don't be an arrogant developer that closes yourself off from the community. You have an opportunity here to set Elite Dangerous up for even more greatness. Don't drop the ball.

I have my doubts that you guys can pull this off. I really do. I've been a player for only six months, and experienced so much good in this game, but I've studied your development over the game's lifespan and have experienced its problems firsthand. I'm sure you won't succeed unless you change.

This is a plea. There is no shame in using your community's ideas, to take advice from the experts in your community. In your current state, you don't deserve the community that you've fostered, because you aren't respecting the community the way you should. Listen to us. We can help you help us. The game will improve greatly, and the community will respect you that much more for that.

Love,

Some commander, hoping for change
In case it hasn't been mentioned by now: They never said it would be "impossible" to change HUD colours. They said it's pretty hard to do and would require a lot of work because colour channels are used for so many HUD elements across the games, which includes the station menu and thereby also the pictures, the codex and so on.
That simple hack we use on PC is not "exactly how we've been requesting" because the connected colour channels mess up the things I mentioned above. To give us this as an official feature would be just unprofessional. You are stretching and twisting words here to win likes and nods from the crowd. If not, you haven't been listening and talk about something you're not well informed about.
That said, I rather think the whole HUD situation was more like an oversight that started when the HUD was first created back then, and I would happily wait a few months to see a rework that is fully customizable, including colours.

I actually don't think Fdev is lazy, or arrogant or any of the things you suggested. They don't communicate much with the community anymore, at least not in the way they did in the past, but that might be a reaction to the growing community and the actual reactions of communicating in the past. Whatever it is, I also think this can be done in a better way, leaving things less open for interpretation and staying closer to the community.

I wasn't aware we were having some sort of d**k measuring contest.
Neither was I.
Im not even sure you're comment is relevant or even makes sense.
And I wasnt even talking to you.
Hardly much measurement here anyway, Im a self confessed explorer thats never made more than 200 million credits in about 4 years of playing. Maybe 300 million.
So where you figured I was I was somehow measuring my replicating tool I have no idea.
I thought i was just taking the waste water out of some new ED player who obviously knows way more than the rest of us about the game because hes beat the game to death in his (or her) short time here
Rather that than beating his own replicating tool I suppose.

With further reading, I saw they were only permabanned after the third try and that was to solo, please note that solo still affects the BGS and powerplay.
Does anyone have a source that they aren't shadow banned?

Just checked the link, there is no source claiming that shadow bans aren't happening.

I don't think people are complaining on that. Most are just upset that these "hackers" have found a way to actually do what frontier deemed impossible. Either Frontier blatantly Lied about it, or they weren't aware of it themselves. If it's the latter reason, It would be just as sad.
Frontier never said it's impossible, check your facts.

Judging by this old post from MB, I'd say that they were. But again, it's just my guess. I can't find any recent complaints from hackers that they were shadow banned.
I guess that's because the last popular hack stopped working two years ago (where people claimed to have lost complete access to their accounts and other have been shadow banned) when Frontier added tools to detect that hack. The same will probably happen to the current one.

The elephant in the room is probably that there is no elephant. :D
Apparently it took the hackers two years to beat Frontiers cheat detection mechanism. Frontier is probably currently busy improving it like they did last time. The same happens with basically any other online game.

Top Bottom