Long Term Exploration

I thought similar to the OP at one point and indeed a couple of times during my latest trip up to Beagle Point. However while there is some merit in a means of retrieving your data if you crash and burn (such as a recoverable pod floating in the system where you augered in) any means of remote transferring the data will remove the biggest challenge of exploration - staying alive to hand the data in. I gained not quite 500mil credits and a bowl full of first finds on my recent two month outing. Oh, and Elite for Exploration. It took me 10 days to reach the Bubble from BP, but if I could just dial the data in that would be a shortcut to suiciding myself and fast travelling back. I think the reward was worth the risk.

So let say I want to use be a gold seller sell the data to someone for real money so it an unfair buff. Or give a new player an unfair buff so they can pick up an anaconda in less than 30 Minutes. Then we get the Whine threads I lost my ship boo hoo. because neither one really played the game.

Bad idea.

I never said it was a good idea. Just "better". Lol

Plus, you can do the same with core or double painite mining, and it's already in game. :p
Heck, you can even do it by old fashioned cargo transfer, brought from a station.

Also, people routinely buy ships they can't fly and complain when they're murdered in them. Some people just rush t the big ships without learning the game, and expect to be invincible.
Probably because us late gamers keep saying our ships take 10-15 minutes to be destroyed in PvP. Lol

In any case, it was just a balanced spin on the OPs suggestion, which goes against the risk reward systems I like to see in game.

There is nothing in the OPs post to suggest that. Perhaps @Arrowood could clarify exactly -why- they want to be able to turn data in remotely?
In general agreed; However, @Lestat has a point.

As I see it, there are a four basic possibilities for wanting something along the lines of the OP's proposal:
  1. Concern over losing data to pirates after a long trip (whether PvE or PvP)
  2. Concern over losing data to own mistakes
  3. Concern over not getting the appropriate recognition/credits for being the first to discover something (due to other explorers doing shorter trips)
  4. Finally, just not wanting to have to dock somewhere to have to turn in the data (i.e. wants to just stay out in the black)
WRT item 4 - while I understand the desire it is not really a solid justification IMO. If you are out in the black, you don't really need the credits while you are there.

WRT items 1 and 2 - essentially the same fundamental reason but again I can not see either as a solid justification for the OP's proposal.

WRT item 3 - that is part of the course, a simple answer would be for the first discovery/mapping tag to be automatically applied as soon as someone does it but they only get the credit rewards for it if they manage to turn the data in somewhere. This however could prove contentious but a precedent has already been set by the 3.3 exploration revisions in essence.

The other proposal in this thread of having a limited capability/quantity messaging drone solution is perhaps a fair one BUT it should have a chance of failure with the data being still potentially lost as a result. With such a drone, if the player suicides or dies though - any credits gained should probably be added to their rebuy.

Personally, I do not think the status quo should change wrt the necessity to dock somewhere to both gain credits and wider recognition for discoveries.

I don't care about the money, but I like putting my name into things, so I would love such a module. I admit that it might not be a good idea in the grand scheme of things. As for making it so that it is not on all the time, a likely FDev solution would be making this trasmitter cost materials to operate.

Lestat

Banned
I don't care about the money, but I like putting my name into things, so I would love such a module. I admit that it might not be a good idea in the grand scheme of things. As for making it so that it is not on all the time, a likely FDev solution would be making this trasmitter cost materials to operate.
See We all want to put our names on things. Lucky for us we have 400,000,000,000 systems to put our name on. If you feel a system needs your name on it take to the nearest station. Just remember Not even 1% has been explored and it's been 6 years and how many people explored. So what the chance of someone like me to find your system you want your name on?

The only major area has been explored over and over. Like From the bubble to Colonia or Saga A*. Or around the Bubble.

See We all want to put our names on things. Lucky for us we have 400,000,000,000 systems to put our name on. If you feel a system needs your name on it take to the nearest station. Just remember Not even 1% has been explored and it's been 6 years and how many people explored. So what the chance of someone like me to find your system you want your name on?

The only major area has been explored over and over. Like From the bubble to Colonia or Saga A*. Or around the Bubble.
While I generally agree with your points you are completely unwilling to accept any other viewpoints or use-cases.

For example, when out on an expedition with many other Commanders. You find something -really- cool and want to share it with the other people in the expedition. But it'll take you a week to get back to a station first, and a week-and-a-half to catch back up again. So that's untenable quite apart from missing out of 2 weeks of expedition time.
So do you share it, and most likely someone else will claim the First Discovery, or do you keep schtumm and nobody else gets to see it until months later when you finally sell your data and share it (and most likely nobody is around to care anymore).

I do agree that a blanket sell-stuff-while-away is a complete no-no.

But having -some- mechanism to protect First Discoveries would open up more gameplay, such as the one I suggested where you still get the First Discovery tag (but not money) even if you're not the first back.

As others have said, I don't give two hoots about the money; money in this game is laughably easy to get hold of by many means; exploration is by far not the best way to do so. The only thing I care about is First Discoveries when exploring.

I spent 18 months out in the black a couple of years ago, I was constantly aware that if I lost the hull I would lose a lot of data & was far more motivated to mitigate risks by that than by tags or ship rebuy - it was the loss of the record of my adventures.

There are ports in many nebulae on the Sol side of the galaxy, relatively speaking one is never far from safety, and on the far side there is nothing & imo it should remain that way.

Yeah, I've been around the block enough to know that the galaxy is big enough that the risk of somebody claiming my cool discoveries before I get to turn them in is slim. Especially when I'm the sort that only stays in the black for weeks, not months. There is still that lingering irrational human psychology, though. The "I don't care about the other 399,999,999,999 systems. This one is mine and I will be very upset if someone else takes it" sort of thinking. That may be why my trips only take weeks, though currently I want to get back to Bubble to see what I can do with those extra docking computer slots on all my ships parked there. I'm projecting that this expedition, counting from Colonia to Colonia, will be about 4 weeks.

The way I see it, the risk of dying and losing everything is part of the spice of exploration.

Out there, you're alone and vulnerable. This would make the game shallower, not deeper, IMO.

All the things people are talking about where they're forced to decide on whether to share a discovery or jealously guard it for discovery bonus and naming rights... GOOD! That sounds like exactly the sort of interesting dilemma a sandbox game should be eliciting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom