Wing Ops Mining.

I have two accounts and fly two ships on identical computers sitting side by side. Just finished my second 2000 LY round trip exploration run and both ships/commanders get credit for everything we find.
When I found out I could do it, I started probing rings and I have several systems out in the void marked where there are 7 or more of the high value minerals in hotspots.

Considering getting into mining again.

Played with it a bit when I first started playing and only had one ship and commander and I was inside the bubble. Got real frustrated with NPC's showing up and attacking me so I quit.

Do NPC's show up and harass/attack when mining in the void.
If one ship is attacked, do all ships in the wing immediately automatically see the NPC as hostile?
If one ship in a wing does a KWS on an NPC, do both ship get the info and the additional bounties?

If by "in the void" you mean a system that's considerably far from civilized space, then you shouldn't encounter any NPCs, hostile or otherwise.Unless there's a bug I don't know anything about.
But after mining you will need to sell the cargo, and said cargo might attract unwanted attention as soon as you arrive closer to occupied space. It will also lower your jump range, so probably that's why mining far from the bubble is not really popular.

When mining in the bubble it's good idea to arrive at hotspot without any valuable cargo (basically with only limpets). If some NPC pirate will show up, he will scan you and leave you alone. Then you do the mining in one sitting - without logging out, going into supercruise and dropping on another hotspot, or going too far from the place you first arrived, because NPCs are usually spawned when instance is being created. That does not include Resource Extraction Sites. If you want to mine peacefully, you should stay away from those.

Attacking one ship makes whole wing hostile.

I don't know about the Kill Warrant Scanner question, I've never been in a position to try one in a wing.

I'm pretty sure that one wingman can attack an enemy WITHOUT that enemy marking every ship in your wing as hostile. This is why ships that are hostile to one of your wing men but NOT to you are drawn in a different color. I'm pretty sure about this unless one of the last couple patches changed it.

Humnn, I think everyone missed the point about the wing attack question.
I do NOT intend to attack anything first unless that is the only way I can get the turrets to become active.
I am trying to work out how to do mining in a wing. SO..
If an NPC attacks one ship in a wing, does that NPC show as hostile to all ships in the wing?

This becomes important because if NOT, then I will need to fit a weapon on both ships I can use to attack the NPC to make it hostile so my turrets will kick on and do their thing.

Considering these ships. Might do some engineering on the T9H to get a bit more jump range.

Type 9 Heavy Refinery ship -->> https://coriolis.io/outfit/type_9_h...Q==..EweloBhA2AWEDMDogKYEMDmAbVIQCMExIUZQA===

AspX Prospector/Miner/Protector -->> https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp?code...SAAAAA==.IwelBYQBhBmAmOA2EBTAhgcwDapGKQ6YqIA=

The idea is to have the AspX do the prospecting and mining since it is agile and have the T9H do the collecting and refining. I would expect the T9H to be the one that would be attacked so I would expect the turrets on it pickup right away. I want to have the AspX to also join the fight.

Humnn, I think everyone missed the point about the wing attack question.
I do NOT intend to attack anything first unless that is the only way I can get the turrets to become active.
I am trying to work out how to do mining in a wing. SO..
If an NPC attacks one ship in a wing, does that NPC show as hostile to all ships in the wing?

This becomes important because if NOT, then I will need to fit a weapon on both ships I can use to attack the NPC to make it hostile so my turrets will kick on and do their thing.

Considering these ships. Might do some engineering on the T9H to get a bit more jump range.

Type 9 Heavy Refinery ship -->> https://coriolis.io/outfit/type_9_heavy?code=A0pktsFklndssif62828282525000000000707064j041v32v6C02i24.Iw18ZQ==.Aw18ZQ==..EweloBhA2AWEDMDogKYEMDmAbVIQCMExIUZQA===

AspX Prospector/Miner/Protector -->> https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp?code=A0pftiFflidisnf52828243P3Sw0000j002x054e02P9f3v62i24.Iw18eQ==.Aw18eQ==.H4sIAAAAAAAAA2P8Z8/AwPCXGUj8qQcSHHdYGRj4VX79/y+mwcXA8J/5nxRInhUkX8EAlRLawc3AIFIjysAgAVL+/z8DAwCLbM2pSAAAAA==.IwelBYQBhBmAmOA2EBTAhgcwDapGKQ6YqIA=

The idea is to have the AspX do the prospecting and mining since it is agile and have the T9H do the collecting and refining. I would expect the T9H to be the one that would be attacked so I would expect the turrets on it pickup right away. I want to have the AspX to also join the fight.
Ah, thanks for the clarification! Now THAT is a hard question to answer. I don't wing much and when I do it's in an offensive/hunting pattern. I'll have to leave this to those who fly in defensive wings, which is likely a small minority of CMDRs who wing (which itself is a small minority of all CMDRS, probably). Good luck!

If you do any experimenting with this, I'd love to know the outcome! :)

If by "in the void" you mean a system that's considerably far from civilized space, then you shouldn't encounter any NPCs, hostile or otherwise.Unless there's a bug I don't know anything about.

Attacking one ship makes whole wing hostile.
I hope you are right about the first one since I am planning to do my mining at least 100 LY from the bubble.

Still missed the question about wing. I already knew that attacking one ship in an NPC wing would make all of them Hostile.
What I need to know is if an NPC attacks one ship in MY wing will all the ships in MY wing see that NPC as Hostile?

Humnnn. Looks like I have posed a stumper.
I think that before I spend a 100M+ CR making the T9H, I will convert a Cobra MKIII into the prospector/miner and an AspX into the refinery/collector.
If I remember right though I will have to sell the ones I have and buy new ones so I get the extra compartments.
Read this -->> https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/april-update-content-reveal-livestream-recap.509052/ and it looks like my Cobras and AspX's already have the new compartments.

Last edited:
I hope you are right about the first one since I am planning to do my mining at least 100 LY from the bubble.

Still missed the question about wing. I already knew that attacking one ship in an NPC wing would make all of them Hostile.
What I need to know is if an NPC attacks one ship in MY wing will all the ships in MY wing see that NPC as Hostile?
You might be better off >1000ly.

You might be better off >1000ly.
Well, I am going to run my DBX's to Felicity and dock at the big station.
Transfer a Cobra MKIII for one Commander and an AspX for the other.
Move my already L5 MM FSD from the DBX to the AspX.
Then take the Cobra and the AspX to Felicity and do all the engineering I can on the Cobra FSD and PP and the AspX PP

Here are my planned fittings. Probably get best shields and better armor for both. Want to keep the Cobra jumping at leat 35 LY if I can.
Plan to start my first try at a system about 250 LY out where I have already surveyed and found 7/9 of the high value minerals plus painite.

Cobra Mk III Prospector/Miner https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk...ZzI4lUgAAAA=.EweloBhBGA2GAcICmBDA5gG2SGF8hRFA

Asp Explorer Refinery/Collector/Defender https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp?code...AA==.EwegDAdArCDM3jqWAWEBTAhgcwDbpBGDCgA5Exwg

Since both will handle 40 tons cargo, both should make about the same profit for a mining trip.

Here's the thing--when bubble mining, wing or not, come in empty (limpets don't count as cargo, so no worries there). A token pirate will show up and scan you -- they find nothing and leave.

As long as you keep your session active, no other ships will spawn. If you quit the game while mining and resume, a pirate will spawn and now attack since you have cargo. So, if you can do all the mining in a single session, do it right and you're all set.

Here's the thing--when bubble mining, wing or not, come in empty (limpets don't count as cargo, so no worries there). A token pirate will show up and scan you -- they find nothing and leave.

As long as you keep your session active, no other ships will spawn. If you quit the game while mining and resume, a pirate will spawn and now attack since you have cargo. So, if you can do all the mining in a single session, do it right and you're all set.
Well, I would love to be able to do everything in a single session. Trouble is I have a real life and sometimes I have no choice but to log out.
So I have two hopes.
First if I am out in the void, maybe there won't ever be any pirates at all.
OR an alternative.
Second, if I am in my wing and one does show up and attack, both ships in the wing will open up with every turret that has a shot and waste him quickly.
Third, Maybe one can get a KWS and both will get to collect extra bounty's.

Well, I would love to be able to do everything in a single session. Trouble is I have a real life and sometimes I have no choice but to log out.

Same. So if I were you, skip the T9. I outfit mine with 14 collectors and it still takes a looong time to fill that thing, and I only do that when I have a long gaming session planned.

Ok, Just discovered that there are "SUB-SURFACE DISPLACEMENT MISSILES" and "SEISMIC CHARGE LAUNCHERS" and it appears that both a used for "core mining" though the "charge" seems to only be useful if there are fissures in the rock.
Do I need both or will the missiles alone be enough?

Ok, Just discovered that there are "SUB-SURFACE DISPLACEMENT MISSILES" and "SEISMIC CHARGE LAUNCHERS" and it appears that both a used for "core mining" though the "charge" seems to only be useful if there are fissures in the rock.
Do I need both or will the missiles alone be enough?
I've never used the missiles.

For core mining, it's most efficient to go for seismic charge launchers (to crack core asteroids) and abrasion blasters (to break stuff off of the asteroid once it's cracked).

For surface mining, only mining lasers are typically what you see used.

I'm sure there's a niche application for the missiles, but I haven't run across it yet.

I've never used the missiles.

For core mining, it's most efficient to go for seismic charge launchers (to crack core asteroids) and abrasion blasters (to break stuff off of the asteroid once it's cracked).

For surface mining, only mining lasers are typically what you see used.

I'm sure there's a niche application for the missiles, but I haven't run across it yet.
Humnnn. Looking at the WIKI -->> https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Sub-surface_Displacement_Missile it sounds like finding/targeting fissures would not be required.

This though seems to indicate that each has a different use.. -->> https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/low-temp-diamonds-question.511245/#post-7781242

Confusing.

Last edited:
Also starting to look like every mining tool needs to be on a separate trigger.

Found this --->> http://remlok-industries.fr/534/the-complete-miner-guide/?lang=en and now I am thinking that if I am going out any distance from the bubble and I am not going to be a "specialty" miner taking only one thing, but instead take everything of high value, that I need to have both the Sub-Surface Displacement Missile and the Seismic Charge Launcher but I can get by with only the Abrasion Blaster.
That will leave one MED HP on the Cobra for a defensive weapon.

Last edited:
Humnnn. Looking at the WIKI -->> https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Sub-surface_Displacement_Missile it sounds like finding/targeting fissures would not be required.

This though seems to indicate that each has a different use.. -->> https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/low-temp-diamonds-question.511245/#post-7781242

Confusing.
Sounds like the missiles are sortof like fishing blind to get at individual core deposits, instead of cracking the asteroid and bringing all the deposits into the light of day.

A core could contain 15 void opals, as an example. It takes 4+-1 seismic charges to crack an asteroid and expose everything inside, vs. missiles which (it sounds like) hits things one at a time? I don't know how much ammo the disp. missile holds, I guess it's a convenience/ammo efficiency question.

Sounds like the missiles are sort of like fishing blind to get at individual core deposits, instead of cracking the asteroid and bringing all the deposits into the light of day.

A core could contain 15 void opals, as an example. It takes 4+-1 seismic charges to crack an asteroid and expose everything inside, vs. missiles which (it sounds like) hits things one at a time? I don't know how much ammo the disp missile holds, I guess it's a convenience/ammo efficiency question.
Well. The SDM position apparently can be monitored so you can set it off when it gets close to the deposit.
As best I can tell, all the mining tools except the Mining Laser MUST be used in "analysis" mode and that gives you hud displays that are not available in Combat.
Ok, Had not considered the ammo issue. The Seismic Charge Launcher has a 72 shot load and the 2B Displacment missile has 96 the 1B (the one I mounted) is 32..
The good news is that both can be synthesized and I have the mats to do it over 90 times for each if I only did one or something over 40 times each if I did both an equal number of shots.

But, I have not even gotten out of the bubble from Farseer Inc and I remember why I hated the Cobra MKIII. 2A Fuel Scoop.. UUgghhhhhh.. The 3A on the AspX is barely tolerable.

Looking at the ammo capacity the best synthesis deal would be the 2B Displacment missile with 96.

But that would leave the Cobra with nothing offensive except a Small something in one of those nearly useless rear wing mounts. ( I guess they would be good with a turrented MC to act a point defense against missiles if you were running away from them.) I went with the Cobra because my second account already had one but didn't have an AspX.

So.. Think I need to see if that account has enough engineered stuff (FSD and PP) to outfit an AspX. Reading other threads both the SSDM and the SCL are difficult to aim so having them both on the front next to the canopy (like in the Cobra) on the AspX should keep targeting simple. Put the Abrasion Blaster in one of the AspX inside bottom mounts and that would leave the other 3 mounts for small turreted MC's or Cannons. If something starts shooting at me I would just have to keep the belly facing them.
Also just realized that I need to up the sensors on both ships to A class to get the longer range to see pirates sooner.

Last edited:
Ok. Have both AspX's fitted out and I am heading to the edge of the bubble.
They have less than .5LY jump range difference so when doing long jump routes they plot the same route.
Interesting that the KWS is usable in both combat and analysis mode. I suspect the Wake Scanner would be the same, but I cannot power a Pulse Wave Scanner and the Wake Scanner at the same time in the AspX. Suppose I could go into modules and disable the one I wasn't using but since at present I have all the Datamined Wake Exceptions I need, I put the Wake Scanner in Storage so I have 3 Chaff on both ships.
Trying to work out the Fire Group settings.
Clearly the Prospector and the Pulse wave need to be in the same fire group on separate buttons.
Watched some low quality videos and it looks like the Pulse wave and the Subsurface Displacement need to be in the same fire group on different buttons so I suspect that the same will apply to the Seismic Charge Launcher. Well, so far they do not seem to need the PWS to be targets or fired.
Have not found video on the Abrasion Blaster use yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom