Does anyone else think AFMU is not "required" for Exploration???

I'm on my way back from Beagle in my Exploration kitted Krait Mk II. (54Ly jump range)(with shield generator).

Total distance covered must be in the region of 90 kylies by now.

I've used my AFMUs once and once only - and that was only to fix 2% damage on some modules (after a single abrupt stop, I think???)

I don't use Neutron jumps.

For this reason, I think that next time I go out, even on a long range Explo-expedition, I'll not be taking AFMUs.

Anybody else have a similar mindset???

Yours Aye

Mark H

I've explored great distances without AMFU in my smaller ships. It makes me chuckle when people require TWO of them! I tend not to crash into things, and I prefer exploring the rim instead of the broken "Borg Cube" core, thus I'm not refilling on neutron stars every jump, so there's really no need for one.

However, I have one outfitted in my Type-7 because I have slots to spare, so why not? 🤷‍♂️

Its one of those things...
Do i really need it the way i fly? No!
Its good to have the option if things go bad? Yes it is!

So im divided to be frank about it...
If i have the space and i dont need to take something else onboard, then yes i use it.

I think AFMU threads really ought to be added to the drinking game :D

At the most basic, no additional modules beyond a fuel scoop are required for exploration if one is defining exploration as finding systems no one else has been to.

That said, no, an AFMU is not required, however they are weightless and can be turned off, so no power draw. Aside from the minimal cost, there is absolutely no downside to carrying multiple ones to fill up any otherwise empty slots, as they act as damage sponges, helping protect the power plant just by being fitted.

If you use Neutrons yes take one.
If you have a spare slot take one.
Otherwise possibly won't need one.

It's not, unless you plan on neutron boosting, or are very clumsy, and crash into stars often.

I never used to use one until neutrons came about.

I think AFMU threads really ought to be added to the drinking game :D

I second this motion. :D

Seriously, I don't think anyone ever says its truly required unless you're neutron boosting. But having said that, now that all ships have 6 or more unrestricted optional internals, there's never a need to leave it behind anymore. Six slots will give you a pretty standard exploration loadout of Scoop, SRV, Shield, FSD Booster, AFMU, and DSS. Everything else beyond those is even less important than the AFMU. ;):D

I never fly without one on my exploration ships.
Still making my way back from Beatle Point from DW2 expedition and taking a wander East from Sag A.
Great piece of kit and you can run with it powered down until you need it.

drinks
I really don't see the downside of carrying one. The lug wrench in the trunk of my car sure doesn't see much daylight but it is nice to know it is there. Crud happens out in the black.
I like this analogy. It of course also depends on what sort of trip we're talking about. For a quick trip to BP to grab some milk you really have to be quite mental to really need one. If you plan longer trips like a circumnavigation it might really come in handy. I've had to fix my FSD a few times when it dropped below 80%, as those fails are really annoying.

I second this motion. :D

Seriously, I don't think anyone ever says its truly required unless you're neutron boosting. But having said that, now that all ships have 6 or more unrestricted optional internals, there's never a need to leave it behind anymore. Six slots will give you a pretty standard exploration loadout of Scoop, SRV, Shield, FSD Booster, AFMU, and DSS. Everything else beyond those is even less important than the AFMU. ;):D
And Research Limpets / Laser - just in case you find that new thing and want to test it's traits :)

If you have a AFMU, you'll not need it and if you don't have one, you'll need it.

On the upside, for Explorers, AFMU's don't weight anything (just like Fuel Scoops).

Deleted member 38366

D
I only ever carry two on some Ships due to the repair stops on long Neutron trips being quicker ;)

Without Neutron jumps, I don't think it's mandatory. But it clearly can't harm to carry one onboard, especially after we got additional slots.
I mean what else would you want to fit into an empty slot of a fully equipped Exploration Ship?
AFMU has no weight, a Repair Limpet Controller however does - and requires some Cargo rack as well.

Overall especially on long trips I'd stick to the old wisdom :
better to have one and don't need it - than needing one and not having any

I always carry one AFMU on my exploration ships, mostly due to that I frequently use neutron boosts when out in the deep black. If not for the neutron boosts, I probably wouldn't need it, no.

A bunch of wimps, the lot of you. I've put countless LYs on my ships with neither shield nor the need to power up the AMFU. Are you a poor pilot, or are you scared of griefers as you fly around in your little tourist group? Go back to your momma, little boy!

I'm teasing, of course, but in truth I haven't equipped a shield in a long, long time. I can also easily go without AMFU when I'd rather have a variety of limpets or some mining equipment.

I took one on DW2 and have yet to use it, though I'm hovering between 90-95% on most modules now. If you have the slots, I say take one. If I had to choose between that or hull repair limpets, I'd probably take the afmu

A bunch of wimps, the lot of you. I've put countless LYs on my ships with neither shield nor the need to power up the AMFU. Are you a poor pilot, or are you scared of griefers as you fly around in your little tourist group? Go back to your momma, little boy!

I'm teasing, of course, but in truth I haven't equipped a shield in a long, long time. I can also easily go without AMFU when I'd rather have a variety of limpets or some mining equipment.

Haha! Well played, Cmdr. This is living proof that the drinking game is real! Prost!

Top Bottom