My Krait Mk II Thargoid Scout killer

Greetings,

Here is my Krait Mk II TS build . TS is for Thargoid scouts. It is very different versus big Thargoid ships. I found 3 large and 1 medium turreted AX multi-cannons plus a medium gimballed overcharged auto-loader multi-cannon takes out up to 4 scouts with ease. With 6 scouts effects such as caustic missiles and a few others show up and I have to suffer them. Pointe Defense won't take out their missiles.

With careful flying I found that decontamination limpets can work even when in battle. I lose a 3D Guardian module reinforcement package and a 2D hull reinforcement package for the decon controller and 8 limpets. The reinforcements didn't add that much versus excellent decon with the limpets. Besides I have to return to a station to rearm long before my hull is in any serious trouble. Worse case was the hull down to 65 percent against 6 scouts plus a few more threat 4s and I could have kept fighting if I hadn't run out of AX ammo.

Guardian fighters help a lot especially when being new to scout battles but then I lose a lot of combat experience points so I swap them out with a fuel scoop. A shutdown field neutralizer is not needed just for scouts so added a frame shift wake scanner for scanning the occasional Thargoid wakes. I also pickup Thargoid materials after a fight just because they are there. Already maxed out all but one. Useful for upgrading AX multi-cannon ammo but then I also need some Guardian mats which I'm not going to break off to obtain for now.

I went with a gimballed overcharged auto-loader multi-cannon because it never stops firing while the AX versions often reload. Bad for running out of ammo first but with gimballed I can control when to fire it. Interesting that the scouts seem to be shielded when running away wasting my ammo but tear them up when they come in for a fast attack. With turreted AX weapons it is wise to deselect the target then target again when they make their attack run. They are also sneaky with one staying 1.5-2.0km out while the others attack. I hit my highest threat button to switch using my ammo efficiently. Also going for reverse thrusters on the Krait just before the kill keeps my ammo hitting with the FA on low turn rate and ensures that I won't be in their caustic cloud when they are destroyed. The other scouts also seem to miss a lot. By the way anyone flying a combat Cutter knows the advantages of reverse thrusters even in open PvP but that is for another thread.

Fixed Guardian weapons and even the remote release flak launcher does serious damage to scouts but it takes time to use them just at the right moment. Multi-cannons are a no brainer for scouts. Taking out the big Thargoid ships plus a lot faster flying skills is where these weapons excel.

Going for the Elite combat rank is it faster than a battle Corvette with regular NPCs in a HazRez, CZ or CNBs? A LOT to quickly move up to combat Deadly status with this build then a little bit afterwards. Each scout is an Elite kill. About 15 of them moves a percentage when combat Deadly. But then a player has to kill them in say a threat 4 in one USS, then scan for more and fly there to continue. This takes time. In one out of 30 non-human threat 4s a player could have scouts that keep spawning. I with that this happened a lot more often.

Bi-weave shields with fast charge are not that big a deal as I will lose 1 percent hull taking out 4 scouts and worse with more. When I asked a Thargoid about it they replied, "Shields? We don't care about no stinkin' shields!". It did take awhile for my translator to decode their response. But when some regular NPC interdicts me in Thargoid space I found the shields with great flying useful and the AX weapons up close and personal are not all that bad taking them out.

So my thoughts taking out Thargoid scouts for the past month. Other players may have done it for years and are much better but they didn't get an A in a college creative writing course! I'm always TLDR but the more I type the better another player might find a comment useful to their play style.

Note I tried it with meeting girls but with all my positives it only takes one negative for them to hate me forever! That is why my ED milti-crew is three dogs. I can count on them. Go figure.

Enjoy the Game

UPDATE: Taking out scouts is about the following...
1. Engineer a Thargoid attack ship going for hull versus shields.
2, Go with bi-weave shields and fast recharge.
3. Find the Thargoid scouts in threat 3-4 USS quickly using the FSS.
4. Switch to Combat mode and fly there and take them out.
5. Bring decontamination limpets when sometimes a threat 4 ends up with a lot more than 4 scouts. You will get hit with caustic missiles.
6. Use forward thrusters to engage then reverse thrusters just before the final kill to miss the caustic cloud when they blow up,
6. Have a binding for the next threat to quickly engage them.

With my Krait design and using fwd/rev thrusters 3 pips to SYS and 3 to WEPS takes care of business with scouts. Speed doesn't matter. It gets more complicated taking on the big guys needing boost as it takes longer using dedicated Guardian weapons. A Krait can do this Solo but bring a friend who knows what they are doing and Thargoid combat just got a lot easier!

Last edited:
I went with red on my Krait as well :)

I use it in AX CZs (when they exist) and it's just using conventional beams+MCs, plus a hold full of limpets (pro tip: avoid the explosions :) )

Gets to the point where provided that thing happens where the Big Boys don't jump in and it's just wave after wave after wave of Scouts, I can just stay there until I get low on ammo/limpets.

Or go for a larger cargo hold (16t or so) so you can carry more limpets. I went with a collector limpet controller, to make getting the Thargoid materials easier.

Or go for a larger cargo hold (16t or so) so you can carry more limpets. I went with a collector limpet controller, to make getting the Thargoid materials easier.
A 16t cargo allows me to install a cargo anti-corrosive hold with no problems but so far It is rarely needed. I find 8 decon limpets are more than enough never using more than 1-2 (those darn caustic missiles) before having to rearm. Worse case I was down to 1 before having to rearm.

Last edited:
Why do you have c6 PP? Take 7A armoured

You are right. It only drops my boost 4 m/s. Then again the ship is currently designed to kill Thargoid scouts. But when I often change to taking out the big Thargoids switching to Guardian weapons an armoured PP won't provide the needed power. Guardians weapons suck up the power. I was lucky to use a lower class power plant to meet the Guardian weapons needs. Besides scouts rarely do any damage to the PP. They take out hull reinforcements long before anything else.

Last edited:
Even the c6 PP with armoured would be adequate, though you'll have to go monstered if you don't want to go over the 100%. I just don't like overcharged because I like scooping. Nice build. When I had AX Krait, I had it set to be for both big guys and small with Guardian weapons. Killing Scouts with Plasma Chargers and Gauss was fun and rewarding, but not an efficient Scout killing machine like this build. If you ever want to blunder into one of those AX combat zones where the big bad flowers show up, you might consider that shutdown field neutraliser, but that might also require changing the shield experimental to lo-draw so there will be enough SYS power on that critical moment. Of course, one can also just do the ol' boost away and FA off trick and forgo all the finessing. I just enjoy nope-ing the shutdown.

Even the c6 PP with armoured would be adequate, though you'll have to go monstered if you don't want to go over the 100%. I just don't like overcharged because I like scooping. Nice build. When I had AX Krait, I had it set to be for both big guys and small with Guardian weapons. Killing Scouts with Plasma Chargers and Gauss was fun and rewarding, but not an efficient Scout killing machine like this build. If you ever want to blunder into one of those AX combat zones where the big bad flowers show up, you might consider that shutdown field neutraliser, but that might also require changing the shield experimental to lo-draw so there will be enough SYS power on that critical moment. Of course, one can also just do the ol' boost away and FA off trick and forgo all the finessing. I just enjoy nope-ing the shutdown.

I'm in the Pleiades Sector taking on Thargoids with all the AX and Guardian toys so I swap them out as needed. 6 LY from Merope with a decent station. Going against a "flower" I'll install my shutdown field neutralizer and appropriate Guardian weapons and love the boost with FA off maneuvers. Taking out a "flower" is the most challenging NPC combat in the game. I did it just to know that I could do it. But I am 7 percent away from becoming combat Elite. Taking out scouts does this faster than "flowers" but it is becoming a grind versus fun! Maybe it is that we are so close and yet so far.

Last edited:
I went with red on my Krait as well :)

I use it in AX CZs (when they exist) and it's just using conventional beams+MCs, plus a hold full of limpets (pro tip: avoid the explosions :) )

Gets to the point where provided that thing happens where the Big Boys don't jump in and it's just wave after wave after wave of Scouts, I can just stay there until I get low on ammo/limpets.
I haven't played with an AX CZ but sounds like what I need looking waves of scouts.

I haven't played with an AX CZ but sounds like what I need looking waves of scouts.
What's supposed to happen is that you get two or three waves of Scouts, then a couple of Flowers show up. I take that as my cue to be somewhere else.

However, what seems to happen sometimes (and I can't swear to it but I think it's when there's another Commander in the instance) is that the Flowers never show and it's just Scout City.

What's supposed to happen is that you get two or three waves of Scouts, then a couple of Flowers show up. I take that as my cue to be somewhere else.

However, what seems to happen sometimes (and I can't swear to it but I think it's when there's another Commander in the instance) is that the Flowers never show and it's just Scout City.
Playing with all the Thargoids in the Pleiades Sector space scouts require one load out and the "flowers" require another. I'm good with both. Still I agree that might be my notice to exit stage left or bring a friend setup for the big guys. Then my scout killer ship could be very useful. Swap in a flak launcher to deal with the swarms then the other player can concentrate on the hearts while I make distracting runs. Two players who know what they are doing could make this very easy. Then of course we will later go to the Forum complaining about how it is too easy! :)

Last edited:

Or it is that new Scouts don't appear at all after a few waves.

That sometimes happens and is independent of another commander being in the same instance. It's a bonus time for shooting Scouts .... until you run out of ammo !

If you jump into an AXCZ, then jump straight back to supercruise, then straight back into the AXCZ, often but not always this gives you the just scout spawns.
Then it is shooting fish in a barrel time!

o7

4/5 weapons are turreted ..... play it how you enjoy, of course, but I found using a couple of rail guns (or Plasma if you prefer) sharpened my eye for conventional combat with fixed weapons. Took a while to get used to the rail gun delay as I hit the fire button. :)

Top Bottom