Adding Aurora Borealis Effects

Adding Aurora Borealis Effects:

• Stars emit electrons
  • These interact with stellar bodies
  • Some have magnetic poles, others do not
  • All you need is an Atmosphere of Gaseous Elements

You can achieve Auroras in All kinds of Stellar Bodies (planets, moons, gas giants)

• Stellar bodies with magnetic poles tend to have round rings
  • Those without magnetic poles can have vastly different shapes and colors
  • Different Elements emit different colors when excited
  • The variety of colors depends on density and height
  • This is how we have neon signs

Why add Aurora's to Elite Dangerous?

• Because physics is amazing and and this game is beautiful
  • I don't even want this to be monetized
  • All i want this to do for the game, is create some amazing jaw dropping pictures that CMDRs catch and share with everyone else
  • Imagine spotting a planet experience a Ammonia and Helium Aurora Borealis watching it and then gliding down through the atmosphere to catch one incredible experience
  • Obtaining the experience of seeing how amazing and beautiful our galaxy is the point of this recommendation
  • Delivered by Elite Dangerous
  • Helps Frontier Development start thinking about atmospheric effects on stellar bodies by starting off relatively small

How-the-Auroras-From.gif
5671405761_c2f17ae446_z.jpg

<strong><span style="font-size: small;">[video=youtube;fVMgnmi2D1w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVMgnmi2D1w[/video]
a_spectra.png

Last edited:
Supported wholeheartedly.

Thought I'm sure FD actuallly has thought of it already. Thye have a long list of critical stuff to add to planets, and I'm not certain auroras will be on top of their list.

Dosen't hurt to bring back the subject thought ; )

We have atmospherics, we just can't land on them yet.
That does not really change the point that Aurora's are first and foremost an in-atmosphere visual effect. They may be visible to a degree from space but the more interesting visual effects are likely to be only really noticable once you have entered the atmosphere.

While I do see what you are getting at, the type of Aurora described by the OP would most likely not be visible as per their description from space.

Then there is the point that Auroras are typically not persistent effects - the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) for example are intermittent effects that can last anything from just minutes to a couple of hours to days. Observing them requires the right conditions to occur at the right time. If we are talking about implementing such effects then arguably we should also be talking about implementing variable weather patterns and variable cloud cover in some form.

Whether we will get such detailed planetary modelling when/if atmospheric landings/flight is implemented is questionable, but IMO unlikely. I am not saying such modelling should not be done but I personally believe it adds very little. If some planets have a more persistent/predictable Aurora effect for some logical reason then perhaps it would make sense to implement them BUT modelling the less predictable and more incidental ones would be of questionable merit.

Top Bottom