News Icarus Cup: Information and Signup

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, on Frontier head quarters...

37a803c574ae39304e1f5e790feaebdc--farmhouse-chic-french-farmhouse.jpg

They didn't forget. They measured it's worth and found it wanting, much like CQC. :p
Except that CQC now has a competition in which you can win a holographic dashboard trophy, of course.

Not as exciting as the originally-planned CQC tournament, which the Icarus Cup replaced in the "PvP tournaments that just quietly get forgotten" role - but still better than nothing. Maybe there'll be something for main game PvP someday as well.

That looks to be a discord message.

It is a discord message.
Was asking Will a question once as well but after 3 weeks of no response I told him that a timeout occured and that I am no longer interested. Nothing against will but atleast a "We can not share any information about this matter." in less than a week should be doable.
However, even a simple response like that only leads to failure. Every statement FDev releases at the moment is basically nothing more than a meme. I mean look at the statement for cheating. Hilarious.

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
To elaborate on my Discord message:

So, the reality is that there's isn't much to announce about a revival of the Icarus Cup at the moment. It's something I, personally, would love to see introduced in the future. When I joined back in 2018, it was something that I reviewed and wanted to see come to fruition. However, at the current time, we believe to really do the Icarus Cup justice, and to ensure that it's fair for all Commanders to participate, will require some degree of development. Right now, the team's efforts are focused on this year's updates, as well as our 2020 release.

As our community team grows, it might be something we could run ourselves, however it's worth mentioning that it is a heavily-manual operation and not something we're able to dedicate our efforts to at the current time. I don't want to get your hopes up, so no promises but as I mentioned in my Discord message to Jonuss, this is something I would like to see happen in the future!

Edit: If you've sent me a Discord message and not had a reply, please poke me! I've got quite the backlog and I'm not able to get to all of them.

Is there a reason it was abandoned in the first place? Revival would mean it is truly dead, but nothing was ever announced about that. What's changed between 2016 when it was announced and whenever it was cancelled that lead to that decision?

So, the reality is that there's isn't much to announce about a revival of the Icarus Cup at the moment. It's something I, personally, would love to see introduced in the future. When I joined back in 2018, it was something that I reviewed and wanted to see come to fruition. However, at the current time, we believe to really do the Icarus Cup justice, and to ensure that it's fair for all Commanders to participate, will require some degree of development. Right now, the team's efforts are focused on this year's updates, as well as our 2020 release.

As our community team grows, it might be something we could run ourselves, however it's worth mentioning that it is a heavily-manual operation and not something we're able to dedicate our efforts to at the current time. I don't want to get your hopes up, so no promises but as I mentioned in my Discord message to Jonuss, this is something I would like to see happen in the future!

Edit: If you've sent me a Discord message and not had a reply, please poke me! I've got quite the backlog and I'm not able to get to all of them.
I think it's time that you just give everyone that signed up the bobble head and then rework the next one.

Nice of Will to chime in here and basically give us all an open invitation to contact him via discord, and chase him up if we don't get a reply - wonder if hes going to regret that in the future.

Call me cynical, but I suspect that the that the answer to Jonuss' question, what is the major major change between 2016 and now that stymied the icarus cup might have been cheating/hackers, this is something which FDev seem unable/unwilling to take control of. So, if they continued to bury their heads in the sand, and let the cheaters run amok, we could have the thorny issue of a hacker scooping up the silverware/hologram and a whole maelstrom of bad press afterwards. Having been around the game for four years now, from what I can gather, hacking can only be dealt with if a person is reported with video evidence. An event like the Icarus cup will get some press attention, and I'm sure no-one wants it to be marred with controversy if some little punk spoiled it by cheating.

The only way I could see to 100% prevent that happening would be to run a special client for the icarus cup that didn't use peir to peir but direct to a dedicated server, and such a thing is probably a huge technical stumbling block that outweighs the benefit to the franchise that the press coverage associated the icarus cup.

Nice of Will to chime in here and basically give us all an open invitation to contact him via discord, and chase him up if we don't get a reply - wonder if hes going to regret that in the future.

Call me cynical, but I suspect that the that the answer to Jonuss' question, what is the major major change between 2016 and now that stymied the icarus cup might have been cheating/hackers, this is something which FDev seem unable/unwilling to take control of. So, if they continued to bury their heads in the sand, and let the cheaters run amok, we could have the thorny issue of a hacker scooping up the silverware/hologram and a whole maelstrom of bad press afterwards. Having been around the game for four years now, from what I can gather, hacking can only be dealt with if a person is reported with video evidence. An event like the Icarus cup will get some press attention, and I'm sure no-one wants it to be marred with controversy if some little punk spoiled it by cheating.

The only way I could see to 100% prevent that happening would be to run a special client for the icarus cup that didn't use peir to peir but direct to a dedicated server, and such a thing is probably a huge technical stumbling block that outweighs the benefit to the franchise that the press coverage associated the icarus cup.

Really good point. Either it was cheating or engineers, which would've made it much harder to balance. But I would love to actually know the reason.

ROFL! Classy move there FD.

Ponderous.

See here for the announcement about the cancellation of the $100k CQC Tournament and the announcement of the Icarus Cup: https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/CQCtournamentupdate

So, we now know it's at least not for another year, maybe two...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom