So the Cobra engine can do TAA...

🤷‍♂️ my AA is off all the time so I don't care so much.

But if it's in the cobra engine I suspect it will be implemented in ED at some stage. Maybe in the 2020 update.

I can imagine TAA might be not working very well in ED's high contrast situations (ghosting). Since TAA induces a certain amount of blur to the image, it might not even work well for VR users.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Seems that it is an nVidia feature - which means that it would only benefit a subset of PC players and would not benefit console players at all in this or the next generation of consoles - which may mean that there's no compelling cost/benefit in revising COBRA to include it.

Last edited:
I can imagine TAA might be not working very well in ED's high contrast situations (ghosting). Since TAA induces a certain amount of blur to the image, it might not even work well for VR users.
I’ve got TAA active in SkyrimVR, looks really nice and the shimmering is awful without it. The existing AA in Elite is not that great to my HMD enclosed eyes - though the picture is getting slightly better as my hardware gets better I’d much rather a less costly software solution did the trick :)

Seems that it is an nVidia feature - which means that it would only benefit a subset of PC players and would not benefit console players at all in this or the next generation of consoles - which may mean that there's no compelling cost/benefit in revising COBRA to include it.
The OP? The suggestion is the Cobra engine already has it in some shape or form!? (I also don't believe it's Geforce only?)

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
The OP? The suggestion is the Cobra engine already has it in some shape or form!? (I also don't believe it's Geforce only?)
Apologies - I should have been more clear - the version of COBRA that E: D runs on.

.... and it does seem to be an nVidia only feature, from what I can find. I'll check tonight to see if my copy of JWE offers me the option.

Top Bottom