Hardware & Technical Are you ready for SUPER graphics cards .....

Nope. Done with nVidia. If one of the Navis will be significantly better than my Vega56, I'm gonna switch to that. But I'm not interested in supporting nVidia's increasingly insane marketing behaviour.

Oh goody!

That means that the prices for the 2080 will finally drop! With Nvidia, its allways the same story. Never purchase a new card full price, allways wait for the next batch.

Oh goody!

That means that the prices for the 2080 will finally drop! With Nvidia, its allways the same story. Never purchase a new card full price, allways wait for the next batch.
What if they don't drop? What if the "Super" cards will simply be more expensive?

Nope. Done with nVidia. If one of the Navis will be significantly better than my Vega56, I'm gonna switch to that. But I'm not interested in supporting nVidia's increasingly insane marketing behaviour.
I haven't been keeping up. What shenanigans have they been up to?

With Navi targeting the upper mainstream segment, I'm not sure if it will be a significant enough upgrade over the Vega56.

I'm not sure what's new about NVIDIA's marketing, or how it's substantially different from what AMD (and formerly ATI) does, when they are in a position to. A decade NVIDIA they had three generations of parts (8800GT, 9800GT, GTS 250) all using the same GPU (though the GTS 250 was half-node shrink of the part in the 8800GT and 9800GT) and performing within 20% of each other, while AMD's current Polaris parts have also been rehashed though three generations (an RX 590 is the same GPU, though built by a different company on a different node, as the RX 480 from three years ago and is about 20% faster than the original incarnation) and will finally be supplanted by Navi.

It's entirely rational to use cut down parts to increase yields early on, then as competition develops and manufacturing processes improve, sell more completely enabled, higher clocked, parts to remain competitive. Product nomenclature not withstanding, I'm not seeing the insanity.

What if they don't drop? What if the "Super" cards will simply be more expensive?

They aren't going to be fast enough to command a significantly higher price, both due to the parts they already have and Navi. They are supposed to slot in at current prices, with the earlier models likely seeing a price drop before being discontinued. Retailers are already starting to offer sales on current RTX 2060, 2070, and 2080 parts in anticipation of the new models. How well Navi actually does and how much it actually goes for will determine where the prices of the second run of RTX parts go.

it would confirm that they are interested in an even more elitist, ergo restricted, market. it could make sense (cough apple) and, if you think of it, it's more sustainable. the mass segment is loosing purchase power more than gaining it anyway, so it could be a good strategy financially. (dunno, just made that up :D)

anyway, if rtx "now pleb" do drop price, which is a possibility, i wouldn't expect it right away.

I haven't been keeping up. What shenanigans have they been up to?

GTX480 -> GTX680 - 50% better performance, same MSRP
GTX680 -> GTX780 - 30% better performance, 10% lower MSRP
GTX780 -> GTX980 - 50% better performance, same MSRP
GTX980 -> GTX1080 - 20% better performance, 20% higher MSRP
GTX1080 -> RTX2080 - 10% better peformance, 200% higher MSRP

You can guess at which point they stopped feeling AMD as a competitor. :LOL:

it would confirm that they are interested in an even more elitist, ergo restricted, market. it could make sense (cough apple) and, if you think of it, it's more sustainable. the mass segment is loosing purchase power more than gaining it anyway, so it could be a good strategy financially. (dunno, just made that up :D)

anyway, if rtx "now pleb" do drop price, which is a possibility, i wouldn't expect it right away.

I don't think they're going to lower prices. When Vega VII came out and matched the RTX2080 in both performance and price, they didn't lower the 2080's price. Why would they do it because of their own new card.
Moreover - they are simply not going to release a card that would directly compete with their own current lineup and drop prices because of that

Nope, not for me. I've switched back to AMD for a processor with Ryzen after a long interlude with an Intel i5 3570k. I'll likely do same for graphics when the 1070 starts getting too saggy.
Always otherwise used AMD/ATi from the early 486DX4 days.

Wow that was the saddest bit of marketing I have seen!
Yup. I think it even trumps Apple keynotes and that is saying something. It was at this point when I (previously unbiased user who was changing between AMD and nVidia at leisure) decided I don't want to have anything with jealous eye on the box, ever again.

Top Bottom