Please reduce travel times in the bubble

yes, catering to instant gratification kids whos whole argument is , "thats Pathetic".this is What ED needs :rolleyes:

seariously, ED isnt for you, not every one likes instant action all day everyday, go play NMS or something

Problem isn't that it needs to be instant. But super-cruise time (spent doing nothing) needs to be dramatically reduced in the bubble in my opinion.

BUT....keep long supercruise travel for exploration, long range tourism, missions etc. Problem solved I think.

Hyperspace trave is ok, IMHO, bit repetitive, but it'll do. At least it's interactive, and can be a slight suprise on exit, and there's plenty of ways to speed it up.
Since finding out about the awesome G4 biological sites, I have enough materials for 125 premium synthesis jumps, so if I'm feeling impatient, I just use that.

Supercruise on the other hand is incredibly dull. There's no real way to speed it up, and gravity bogs you down so much it's actually just infuriating. You can't even use the FSS without stopping.
So what do you do? Stick galnet on to read to you?
Look at the rather minimalist engineering page, which contains so little information, it my aswell just not be there? Pledge or unpledge to PowerPlay, repeatedly?
Or just pointlessly cycle targets hoping for some useful scan data?

There is almost zero gameplay in supercruise. I don't want to skip it entirely, but I'd like to have more options on how I get about the system.
This ^

And as someone else said....more use of skill (gameplay) in gravity wells would be great too.

Some problems with this: SOME people want to fast travel, tinker with stuff etc. Some of us DON'T: we're happy to look around for interesting signals that may turn out to be G5 mats while we are in supercruise.

I'm also more than happy to look around most of the time. But, if there were an option to wander around my ship on those longer journeys (five minutes or more), then I've no doubt I'd use them. Personally, I don't have a problem with supercruise, and don't want the times reduced at all. But I do understand the requests for things to do while travelling. But then, if you were in a spaceship travelling, chances are you'd just be playing whatever is the latest game fad on whatever has replaced phones by then... Which is pretty much equivalent to watching Netflix while playing E: D. :)

I would like changes to supercruise.

CHANGE 1 PLAYER AGENCY.
I would love more player agency. I want to have more influence on flying in supercruise, more piloty things to do.
This could be done via pip management for example.
We might perhaps use pips to control certain aspects of sc travel. Pips in sc travel might influence different things compared to normal space travel.
Pip management already affects manouverability in super-cruise, and throttle control affects acceleration/deceleration curves. To expect any more than that is to my mind unjustifiable. Lets not infect ED with pointless mini-games any more than is absolutely necessary... the 3.3 FSS/DSS changes were already a step too far IMO.

CHANGE 2 HUD CHANGES.
I also would like the HUD to change its layout in supercruise with new HUD elements, just like it changes when you approach a planet.
I am sure FD could make something up to make it look cool and different and appropriate for Supercruise.
The HUD might give you an ideal travel solution by showing you a flight path to fly around a planet to accelerate and speed up travel.
We are already travelling faster than light, slingshot manoeuvres like you are talking about would not make sense in that context.

All in all, what you are proposing stinks of mini-game hell... no thank you, we have had quite enough of that already.

For me FD missed a trick with the the new scanner. Instead of being effectively a minigame, it could have been available in SC live and when you probed a planet you sent the probes to the planet visible in SC. It would have made logical, finding in system jump points so you could jump between major stars. Suddenly SC is no longer a tedious wait.

I also think there is a need to provide facilities to allow players to discover some form of fast travel between galaxy sectors. This would benefit players being able to move to different locations in the galaxy once the necessary exploration has been done for the player to find those jump points. In open this would also create more points that are likely to contain players.

"Doing nothing for long periods of time IS Elite!"

If nothing else, statements like this show how pathetic the situation really is.

"Projectile vomitting IS this restaurant!"

Lol, couldn’t have put it better myself!

Obsidian Ant has done a few good videos covering this subject. Basically saying that this is just a mechanic to extend playtime due to a lack of something to do in game.

I really wish this game wasn’t crowd funded. The original plan was to allow players to jump directly to their destination a la Star Wars. If that had been implemented without any concern of backers, no one would be debating this boring mechanic that we have now.

For me FD missed a trick with the the new scanner. Instead of being effectively a minigame, it could have been available in SC live and when you probed a planet you sent the probes to the planet visible in SC. It would have made logical, finding in system jump points so you could jump between major stars. Suddenly SC is no longer a tedious wait.
Depends on the purpose of the travelling, I don't disagree FD messed up exploration with their 3.3 changes but I disagree that any form of FSS integration with SC would change much regarding super-cruise in general.

I also think there is a need to provide facilities to allow players to discover some form of fast travel between galaxy sectors. This would benefit players being able to move to different locations in the galaxy once the necessary exploration has been done for the player to find those jump points. In open this would also create more points that are likely to contain players.
As for intra-system/inter-system fast travel points, I disagree with the fundamental need for this. That being said, FD have implemented some long-distance jump "taxis" and I personally think that is as far as they should go.

ITT: people debate how much of their free time should be spent doing nothing

For real, though, despite my preference for instant gratification I actually prefer the travel time. Lots of stuff to do during it (outside of the game obvs) and it helps prevent burnout (think riding a roller coaster over and over again with a long queue each time).

I sometimes play Garry's Mod while playing Elite. That's how I play the game - it's more like a background activity than something I sink time into.

I do think the FSS is good, though. It means you only fly to planets you're actually interested in physical info on rather than general information.

Lol, couldn’t have put it better myself!

Obsidian Ant has done a few good videos covering this subject. Basically saying that this is just a mechanic to extend playtime due to a lack of something to do in game.

I really wish this game wasn’t crowd funded. The original plan was to allow players to jump directly to their destination a la Star Wars. If that had been implemented without any concern of backers, no one would be debating this boring mechanic that we have now.

It's definitely extending playtime. The amount of time I've spent actually doing something in Elite is probably about 60% of the time Steam says I've played.

IMO they are wrong in their conclusions - travel time is a consequence of the scale, not explicitly designed to extend playtime.

SC in ED is essentially the same as SETA in older Elite products.

IMO they are wrong in their conclusions - travel time is a consequence of the scale, not explicitly designed to extend playtime.

SC in ED is essentially the same as SETA in older Elite products.
SETA being the 'time acceleration by changing perception' mechanic, right?

I think the SETA times were pretty short, tbh. The Barnard/Sol run was what, a minute in each system? You could get more credits than you'd ever need in about an hour and a half.

No, it really wasn't. When this part was discussed, FD asked backers how long they thought it should take to travel between planets in Sol (e.g. how long to Pluto?). The responses were used to essentially calibrate supercruise speed. There was never any intention for instant travel. Ever. ;) And it also has nothing to do with crowd funding.

Problem isn't that it needs to be instant. But super-cruise time (spent doing nothing) needs to be dramatically reduced in the bubble in my opinion.

BUT....keep long supercruise travel for exploration, long range tourism, missions etc. Problem solved I think.

How would you propose to shorten in-system travel-time without also reducing to opportunity for hostile ships to attack?

I'd say around 80% of the gameplay (such as it is) is related to Supercruise in one way or another.

How would you propose to shorten in-system travel-time without also reducing to opportunity for hostile ships to attack?

I'd say around 80% of the gameplay (such as it is) is related to Supercruise in one way or another.

Simple: let people shoot each other in Supercruise. The only solution to any gameplay issue.

If you put back in the bits you took out, you'll find that you've misquoted me. ;)
I'm sorry, but as soon as you mention that they took feedback from backers, it is about crowd funding. The information I removed was related to what they asked the backers, and is as such besides the point.

What I find is that the only time I can catch someone in Supercruise is either near the start or near the end of their journey. If I miss them at the start then I have to wait until they start decelerating before they come back into range of my interdictor.

The ability to engineer faster Supercruise speeds will get rid of that barren time in between.

SETA being the 'time acceleration by changing perception' mechanic, right?

I think the SETA times were pretty short, tbh. The Barnard/Sol run was what, a minute in each system? You could get more credits than you'd ever need in about an hour and a half.
The point is SETA is only kind of feasible for single player games, in a multiplayer context it is effectively impractical due to the way it essentially works (effectively running the game/simulation at faster than real time). I believe the science behind it is based around the idea that when near a high-gravity well time effectively slows down for you, but not everyone else outside the field of effect.

SC by comparison is an implementation of an Alcubierre Drive in essence - faster than light travel - and is currently modelled in a fair, reasonable, and balanced way. You can shorten SC travel times by operating outside of the blue-throttle-zone but you will take greater hull integrity damage as a result. Cases such as the Hutton Run are quite rare IME - I have yet to encounter another system where the required travel time comes even close to it - but I still see no good reason to support the case for ensuring transit times in such cases are kept below a specific threshold whether in the bubble or out of it.

Check out this suggestion.
It actually does both. Lol

Ignore the last bit. And despite was Lestat says, it's not a replacement for supercruise. Just an alternative option.

Fast = more dangerous
Supercruise is slower, but safer.

That's how risk reward is supposed to work. Lol

The point is SETA is only kind of feasible for single player games, in a multiplayer context it is effectively impractical due to the way it essentially works (effectively running the game/simulation at faster than real time). I believe the science behind it is based around the idea that when near a high-gravity well time effectively slows down for you, but not everyone else outside the field of effect.

SC by comparison is an implementation of an Alcubierre Drive in essence - faster than light travel - and is currently modelled in a fair, reasonable, and balanced way. You can shorten SC travel times by operating outside of the blue-throttle-zone but you will take greater hull integrity damage as a result. Cases such as the Hutton Run are quite rare IME - I have yet to encounter another system where the required travel time comes even close to it - but I still see no good reason to support the case for ensuring transit times in such cases are kept below a specific threshold whether in the bubble or out of it.

IIRC we disagree on a few things, but I totally agree with you here. Supercruise on average takes what, five minutes? Maybe 10 if your destination is a few thousand Ls away? It's a short break to do something else in my book. The only people I'd understand being mad about it is the VR crowd, who kinda have to do nothing for all that time.

Top Bottom