Please reduce travel times in the bubble

It is not pathetic to me at all. I like the it the way it is.
Sometimes a game simply is not your thing. That is perfectly fine.
You might enjoy something more fast paced and arkady perhaps.

Traveltimes have become considerably shorter over time.
I can remember that I felt that traveling from earth to Achenar was quite a trip. These days it feels like these two star systems are neighbours.
I do not wish the interstellar traveltime to become even worse (worse = shorter). It is good as it is.

I would not mind some improvements to Supercruise and I would love a limited option for in-system mini-jumps to some of the other stars in the same system.
FDev could introduce rules for that. I posted a long proposal about supercruise and mini jumps in some other thread.

It isn't about time, it is about not having anything to do during that time. The solution I and others want isn't to shorten the time, because, again, time isn't the issue. Lack of gameplay is.

Somehow being able to use the fss during long trips would help. Spacelegs offers tons of opportunities. But in any case, a game where large amounts of time are spend doing quite literally nothing is poorly designed in that aspect. And saying "well, maybe this game isn't for you then." is silly by default, and laughably so when you tell it to someone who has played thousands of hours since launch and is triple elite. :p

For me, 10/20 mins staring at screen to get somewhere is ok if exploring new frontiers or the odd long range mission or something. Not ok for the majority of missions, mining, trade, bounty etc

So don't travel so far. It's easy enough to find a group of systems where you have every possible option (except exploring) within a couple of jumps. The game doesn't need to change, many people want space to remain big.

Lack of gameplay is.

I don't understand this argument. When I'm hopping around the bubble, it's a case of jump, scoop, and jump... I'd have ten seconds (the countdown) in which to fit something else to do it. What exactly would that be? :) You can make a game out of the actual travelling - the aim is to be charging your FSD the instant it has cooled down after the previous jump. Admittedly, that's difficult in some ships - but my AspX can charge its FSD while fuel scooping at max rate, and unless I'm careless I can still keep the heat under 100%.

Edit: Sorry, I guess it would be 20 seconds including the jump itself. Still not much time to fit anything in? Though I am seriously interested in suggestions there, as it would kill many of the complaint threads if you can think of something fun to do there. Personally, I enjoy the jump - it's remarkably relaxing in VR (sometimes too much, as I jolt awake with a star in my face).

It isn't about time, it is about not having anything to do during that time. The solution I and others want isn't to shorten the time, because, again, time isn't the issue. Lack of gameplay is.

Somehow being able to use the fss during long trips would help. Spacelegs offers tons of opportunities. But in any case, a game where large amounts of time are spend doing quite literally nothing is poorly designed in that aspect. And saying "well, maybe this game isn't for you then." is silly by default, and laughably so when you tell it to someone who has played thousands of hours since launch and is triple elite. :p

As Crank Larson already mentioned... When you are jumping between stars there is no time to do something on the side, so I assume you are referring to Supercruise..
Supercruise might be a problem when the distances are long. I agree.
That is why I would like to see it revised. I have been making proposals about that since beta.
I personally would like more player agency, more piloty things to do during supercruise, and adding the option to do mini jumps to certain faraway stars in the same system would help too.

Proposal I posted long ago:

I love supercruise. It is a magnificent addition to this spacesim.
It is the perfect balance between extremely fast spacetravel and still being awed by the enormity of the universe.
Soaring past a beautiful star or planet is still a thrill and I must have done it thousands of times by now.

As far as far away locations in a system are concerned... I simply don't travel where I do not want to go.
I won't go to Hutton because it is too far away and has nothing to offer for my troubles.
But... someday this might change. Perhaps FDev could make it worth my while to travel those long distances.
There could be unique ships for sale, or some ships and modules could be extra cheap, or there could be a unique station design, or there could be an easy way to get difficult materials or data.
All these would be sufficient reason for me to do a long trip to, for example, a station like Hutton.

I would like changes to supercruise.

CHANGE 1 PLAYER AGENCY.
I would love more player agency. I want to have more influence on flying in supercruise, more piloty things to do.
This could be done via pip management for example.
We might perhaps use pips to control certain aspects of sc travel. Pips in sc travel might influence different things compared to normal space travel.

CHANGE 2 HUD CHANGES.
I also would like the HUD to change its layout in supercruise with new HUD elements, just like it changes when you approach a planet.
I am sure FD could make something up to make it look cool and different and appropriate for Supercruise.
The HUD might give you an ideal travel solution by showing you a flight path to fly around a planet to accelerate and speed up travel.

I think these changes would serve to underline the differences between the different flight modes and would make us feel like real ace space pilots .

CHANGE 3 MINIJUMPS.
I would like to be able to do in-system minijumps to other stars in the same system.
There could be rules for this to be possible:
0. Minijumps might only be possible when you are in supercruise (for fluffy technical reasons)
1. A second star has to be at least 50.000 ls (just an arbitrary number) removed from the main star for example.
2. You might need to fly 1000 ls away from the main star to be able to do a minijump
3. Minijumps might cause light damage to the FSD
4. Minijumps might consume a lot of fuel, because... reasons.
5. We might have to buy an expensive modification for the FSD to make minijumps possible.
6. Minijumps might not be possible to certain star types.
7. Another tool FD might use to regulate in system mini-jumps could be some kind of jump inhibitor installation that prevents ships from doing a mini-jump in certain systems. For example a far away military installation, orbiting a second star in the system, might have such a device to prevent enemy ships from jumping to it directly.

Last edited:
I don't understand this argument. When I'm hopping around the bubble, it's a case of jump, scoop, and jump... I'd have ten seconds (the countdown) in which to fit something else to do it. What exactly would that be? :) You can make a game out of the actual travelling - the aim is to be charging your FSD the instant it has cooled down after the previous jump. Admittedly, that's difficult in some ships - but my AspX can charge its FSD while fuel scooping at max rate, and unless I'm careless I can still keep the heat under 100%.

Edit: Sorry, I guess it would be 20 seconds including the jump itself. Still not much time to fit anything in? Though I am seriously interested in suggestions there, as it would kill many of the complaint threads if you can think of something fun to do there. Personally, I enjoy the jump - it's remarkably relaxing in VR (sometimes too much, as I jolt awake with a star in my face).

But that rapidly changes when you are traveling in a system. And there is plenty of room there. Supercruise even adds to it as it increased travel time even further while freeing you to do anything you can. Which is currently nothing. And that is the issue, and I hope 2020 will contribute to a solution.

Extended inter-system travel can use a lot of work too, but it would require some overhaul of the core mechanics which is a bit outside the scope of this topic.

What about if the speeding up was optional?

IE any faster transit system that came with a significant risk of death if poorly executed could give you a damn good reason not to use it, balance the benefits across the board, and allow both playstyles.

I'm thinking primarily of my pitch for inter-system jumps to secondary stars, but it could work in theory for a bubble transit system too. (IE a classic 'drive down undulating tunnel to the destination node, which will be full of pirates awaiting your damaged, shuddering arrival' one ;))
That would keep everyone happy. Good idea.

As Crank Larson already mentioned... When you are jumping between stars there is no time to do something on the side, so I assume you are referring to Supercruise..
Supercruise might be a problem when the distances are long. I agree.
That is why I would like to see it revised. I have been making proposals about that since beta.
I personally would like more player agency, more piloty things to do during supercruise, and adding the option to do mini jumps to certain faraway stars in the same system would help too.

Absolutely. Extended jumping can use some work too but that isn't easy without changing some of the core mechanics. I do feel as if that might already be fixed largely when there is more in-system exploration. When I have atmo landings, spacelegs and such I am less likely to travel 2000ly per hour. Instead I should have something of interest every few jumps at most. In that situation hyperjumps are a very small part of exploration, interpersed with actual gameplay.

What about if the speeding up was optional?

IE any faster transit system that came with a significant risk of death if poorly executed could give you a damn good reason not to use it, balance the benefits across the board, and allow both playstyles.

I'm thinking primarily of my pitch for inter-system jumps to secondary stars, but it could work in theory for a bubble transit system too. (IE a classic 'drive down undulating tunnel to the destination node, which will be full of pirates awaiting your damaged, shuddering arrival' one ;))

I've asking for such a system for ALL modules since forever. Allow me to overload systems to various degrees, getting temporary benefits at increasing odds of increasingly serious consequences.

Stuck because you need to jump 114.6 ly and you can only reach 114.5ly? Overdrive your FSD and see what happens. Do it too much, too often and enjoy the rebuy screen,entering in a different system then planned, causing explosions throughout your ship knocking out multiple modules: whatever. Make it exciting and give some agency.

But that rapidly changes when you are traveling in a system. And there is plenty of room there.

Well yes, but supercruise is a different issue. Though I still haven't seen many suggestions of what to do, just that people want to do something other than stare out of the ship in front of them. If/when we are able to walk around our ships, I think this will alleviate much of the tedium of supercruise. Even more so if there are interesting things we can tinker with in the ship.

OMG, Beethoven's 6th Symphony is soooooo booooooring!!!! It takes like 3 minutes before it gets to the good bit. I'm so bored lolz. Why can't someone rewrite it so all the good bits are closer together. I have to watch like three minutes of Netflix before it gets to the bit where I can tap my foot again. BOOOORING!

OMG, Beethoven's 6th Symphony is soooooo booooooring!!!! It takes like 3 minutes before it gets to the good bit. I'm so bored lolz. Why can't someone rewrite it so all the good bits are closer together. I have to watch like three minutes of Netflix before it gets to the bit where I can tap my foot again. BOOOORING!
:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

So that explains why I listen to this to survive explo jaunts ;)

Calling jump-scoop-jump-scoop a symphony is a bit of stretch though...

Well yes, but supercruise is a different issue. Though I still haven't seen many suggestions of what to do, just that people want to do something other than stare out of the ship in front of them. If/when we are able to walk around our ships, I think this will alleviate much of the tedium of supercruise. Even more so if there are interesting things we can tinker with in the ship.
Some problems with this: SOME people want to fast travel, tinker with stuff etc. Some of us DON'T: we're happy to look around for interesting signals that may turn out to be G5 mats while we are in supercruise. As I said before, I picked up a lot of nice mats from 3 different signal sources a few hours ago just going from a star to a station. You're gonna miss all that stuff if you fast forward your trip to the station. Then you're* gonna be "there's no mats, engineering is such a grind, wah wah wah!", another complaint I am totally sick of btw!

The other obvious problem is if your space legs guy is busy fixing the coffee machine/on the john/ whatever, and he/she gets interdicted by a pirate or a group of gankers, you're dead. Then getting bored because (horror of horrors) you've got to spend a few minutes in supercruise is gonna seem pretty f@#$ing minor!

I liked the option that Golgot came up with: give everyone a choice: if some people want to miss out on all the G5 mats just floating there in space and wanna get caught with their pants around their ankles while gankers turn their ships into collanders, fair play to them. Just don't ask Frontier to do that to the rest of us!

*or you may not, I'm sure you're not one of those people! If you are tho, we are no longer friends!

It is not pathetic to me at all. I like the it the way it is.
Sometimes a game simply is not your thing. That is perfectly fine.
You might enjoy something more fast paced and arkady perhaps.

Traveltimes have become considerably shorter over time.
I can remember that I felt that traveling from earth to Achenar was quite a trip. These days it feels like these two star systems are neighbours.
I do not wish the interstellar traveltime to become even worse (worse = shorter). It is good as it is.

I would not mind some improvements to Supercruise and I would love a limited option for in-system mini-jumps to some of the other stars in the same system.
FDev could introduce rules for that. I posted a long proposal about supercruise and mini jumps in some other thread.

Elite is supposed to be a "play the game your way" type of game. I think it's great that Achenar is easier to get to if you build you ship in a way to reduce travel times.

By the way. Why is it less of a trip for you these days? Is it because you are so used to the journey now? Or have you done something to your ship build to reduce the travel time?

this isnt the game for you, Long travel times IS Elite , the equivalent of what your asking would be to remove guns from Call Of Duty, its just not happing

You have got used to the long travel times: in a kinda can't see the wood (problem) for the trees (lots of gametime).

Elite is my FAVORITE game, ever since I first played in the late 1980's. I've played 1423hours in ED, but haven't played in ages.

I've had a break and see the problem now.

Top Bottom