Lifetime pass and general update questions

Folks

I pretty much stopped playing, as did the majority of the folks I played Elite with, once the "no substantial content" till 2020 announcement, so forgive me if this has already been answered.

Has there been any announcement as to exactly what lifetime pass holders can expect to be receiving?

Has there been a reveal on any new content?

Any answers, gratefully received.

Folks

I pretty much stopped playing, as did the majority of the folks I played Elite with, once the "no substantial content" till 2020 announcement, so forgive me if this has already been answered.

Has there been any announcement as to exactly what lifetime pass holders can expect to be receiving?

Not a huge amount. There's this kind of vague clarity:

What does 'The Next Era' contain?
The Next Era update will be in-game content
LEP Content
The Next Era content will be paid for content and LEP owners will receive it as part of their pass.

And this apparent leak, which is 4 for 4 on its predictions, and suggests the DLC is Legs + Thargs + Base Building.

Funny how 'base building' seems to have crept in through that leak. Would never of backed if they had said base building was ever planned as I'm not remotely interested in it; where's my gas giants and volcanic worlds.

Funny how 'base building' seems to have crept in through that leak. Would never of backed if they had said base building was ever planned as I'm not remotely interested in it; where's my gas giants and volcanic worlds.
Holding out some hope they mean mega ships or something like that. Wouldn't mind base building within my own ships either.

On the other hand, planting flags here and there or whatever might be useful for bookmarking surface locations.

Last edited:
You can tell they have run out of ideas/steam when all the can now come up with is the same mechanics as every over game. Base building is just to give players a endless build/maintain loop to keep they occupied with the most basic of gameplay; keep buying the paintjobs...

You can tell they have run out of ideas/steam when all the can now come up with is the same mechanics as every over game. Base building is just to give players a endless build/maintain loop to keep they occupied with the most basic of gameplay; keep buying the paintjobs...
Kind of breaks my heat how many have wanted this sort of feature in a game where we play as Commanders in the Pilots Federation (maybe because I've had a few beers and happen to be listening to some melancholy music at the moment). Just hope it doesn't turn into some MMO fort building game or something.

The meta game-play progression and the like is a bit crap at times regarding contextual immersion in an otherwise pretty epic game, sorry to say.

I'm really angry about it, it's a 180 degree reversal and obvious cash grab from a desperate franchise.
I'll wait and see to pass judgment. The FSS system lock picking mini-game for exploration "content" doesn't bode well for me though.

I would have much rather had this implemented instead...

q4Vj4m1.png

Last edited:
Folks

i have just consulted with the all seeing eye and powers that be.

and just like the Dolphin Heat Bug the outlook its not so good.

giphy.gif

I'm really angry about it, it's a 180 degree reversal and obvious cash grab from a desperate franchise.

Eh? How do you figure that? The Legs bit is presumably the meat of the update, and that's a roadmapped objective.

Base building is more leftfield, but they have mentioned variations on construction and ownership previously:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/51snll Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/51snll/will_we_get_base_ownership_and_autofarming_it/

The absolute lack of communication from FD I find even poorer than their normally close mouthed approach. Give us the outline of your plans officially, don't muck about with 'leak' teases or other gimmicks which we can't even be sure is what is officially planned. We are your customers, tell us something more than; ' you may get something at the end of 2020 ' .

The absolute lack of communication from FD I find even poorer than their normally close mouthed approach. Give us the outline of your plans officially, don't muck about with 'leak' teases or other gimmicks which we can't even be sure is what is officially planned. We are your customers, tell us something more than; ' you may get something at the end of 2020 ' .
FD maybe has nothing to communicate they're working on lame zoo pl... or whatever. ED could be a cash cow but FD can't recognize. I'm really disappointed about FD.

FD maybe has nothing to communicate they're working on lame zoo pl... or whatever. ED could be a cash cow but FD can't recognize. I'm really disappointed about FD.

They're working on both:

Currently:

100+ dev team with the majority focusing on the new era. (More sourcing on the dedicated staffing over recent years here: [1],[2],[3],[4]).

(Their broader staffing scenario is approx 440 staff, with a 4th franchise likely in full production (expected 2019) and a 5th & 6th seemingly in some form of production.)

For context, they developed the launch title while working on 5 other titles:

During the Initial Dev Run:

Their overall staffing ranged from approx 240 to 270 over that period. They had 5 prior projects on the go:

We worked on five projects of varying sizes for our two key clients, and two of these games were released in the financial year 2013–14.

Given that JWE scaled up to 75-100 staffing, you'd imagine those three other park games took up significant resources.

Given JWE, a flagship IP tie-in, drew down from 100 staffing post-launch, and ED retains over that for ongoing dev, it seems likely that it's the favoured title in their portfolio in that sense.

So yeah, it's not their only game. But it's certainly not forgotten in favour of other titles ultimately.

Top Bottom