Notice ARX FAQ

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
ARX FAQ

This is a preliminary FAQ based on our Lavecon reveal. Please check back for more details as it is updated.
Updated 10/07/2019

What are ARX?
ARX are a new currency, replacing Frontier Points, being introduced to Elite Dangerous in the September Update and can be used to purchase Game Extras, such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!

What are ARX in lore terms? How does it fit into the galaxy?
ARX is an alternative currency created and regulated by the Bank of Zaonce.

How do I get ARX?
ARX can be earned by simply playing the game! We won't ask commanders to change how they play, simply being an active player and engaging with the game is all that's required. Additionally, players are also able to purchase packages of ARX through the platforms' respective stores (Frontier Store, Steam, PlayStation Store and Xbox Marketplace).

What can I spend ARX on?
As mentioned above, ARX can be spent on Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!

Can I gift ARX, or Game Extras purchased with ARX, to another player?
At this time, it will not be possible to gift ARXor Game Extras (purchased with ARX) to other players.

Will ARX replace Frontier Points?
Yes, ARX will replace Frontier Points and players who have any outstanding balance of Frontier Points will have them converted into ARX appropriately.

Will ARX replace Credits?
Nope! ARX will not replace Credits, nor are Credits purchasable.

Can I spend ARX on in-game items, such as commodities and materials?
No, ARX are only spent on Game Extras (such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!).

Will the rewards for missions change because of ARX?
No, rewards from missions will not be adjusted with the introduction of ARX.

Do I need Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus to earn of purchase ARX on console?
You will not require either Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus to earn or purchase ARX in Elite Dangerous.

Is Elite Dangerous going free-to-play?
No, we currently have no plans to change Elite Dangerous over to a free-to-play model.

Will the team be doing anything to improve the quality of Paint Jobs/Ship Kits?
Actually, yes! We've been making improvements to the Paint Job render system over the course of this year. New Paint Jobs will all use this improved system, meaning we are able to offer sharper, more detailed paint schemes than ever before. Furthermore, we are working through our back catalog to update Paint Jobs we feel could benefit from a touch up.

Community Questions

I have 20 weeks of playtime. Will that get me anything or do we have to earn them as we play AFTER the update

With the introduction of ARX we will not be retroactively awarding players with ARX for any playtime prior to the September Update.

Will the current front store option remain? buy direct, no ARX points?

On the Frontier Store, you will need to purchase ARX packs before being able to use them to purchase any Game Extras/Cosmetics. You will not be able to use real-world currency to purchase Game Extras.

A minor hope is that with the release of the in-game shop (IGS?) you guys will also be adding a whole bunch of new kits, skins, bobbles and the like.

We will continue to release Game Extras as per usual.

Will we be able to buy ARX using credits?

You will not be able to to buy ARX using credits.

Will it still be possible to purchase paintjobs etc. directly with money?

ARX will be the only accepted currency for Game Extras/Cosmetics once the update goes live.

Will I be able to purchase exactly the amount of ARX I need to purchase the cosmetic I want, or will it come in packages, which means I have either too little or a leftover?

ARX will only be available in packs and then added to your account total. Once a purchase has been made, you can use the leftovers towards another purchase, or save them and wait for your earned ARX to top you up.

Would we be able to purchase an extra Commander slot (on PC) with ARX (I have seen other games do this)?

We do not currently have any plans to increase the number of Commander slots.

Q: It is stated that ARX is earned by "playing the game" (and that there will be a weekly limit for ARX being earned). Looking at the PvP playstyle, it has always been excluded from many gameplay mechanics such as BGS influence, PowerPlay, Engineers and much more. Namely destroying player ships is handled completely different from destroying NPC ships (Bounty Hunting PvE). For example, destroyed player ships don't drop materials and 30 merits.
Will the playstyle PvP be excluded as well from earning ARX in the september update?

We'll have more info about how to earn ARX in-game closer to the launch of the September Update. Rest assured, we'll be taking into account all the different playstyles Commanders have when making any final decisions.

if we apply newly bought skins while "out in the black", will we also have the option to refresh the wear and tear or will this be something that's still limited to station services?

When equipping a new Paint Job whilst "out in the black" your current wear and tear will remain at its current level. Refreshing the wear and tear will be limited to Station Services as normal.

I've purchased a number of bundles just so I could use single paint jobs. Will it be possible to sell paint jobs I don't want for an appropriate amount of ARX, or am I permanently stuck with them?

No, it will not be possible to sell Game Extras for ARX.

1. Can you use real currency (£'s via paypal etc) to buy things such as t-shirts, mugs & copies of the game (I/e physical items that can be delivered to your home) or will you need to buy ARX first?
2. Will you still be able to buy cosmetics (ship kits etc) with real currency (£'s etc) or are they only available via ARX?

ARX will only be used for Game Extras/Cosmetics. So, all merchandise, games and DLC will continue to use real-world currency.

ARX will be bought from the relevant PC, Xbox One, and PS4 platform storefronts. Providing they're purchased for the same Commander account, your ARX will be credited to your account. With ARX, you will be able to purchase Game Extras/Cosmetics in-game or from a dedicated webstore, which we will have more information on in the future

Is there a maximum number of ARX I am able to earn per week?

You can earn up to 400 ARX per week. If you do not earn the full amount of ARX in that week, the total amount does not roll over to the following week. You can only ever earn 400 ARX per week.

I want to "save up" my ARX over several weeks to make a paint job purchase. Do ARX earned during the week expire if I don't use them?

No, ARX do not expire if you don't use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arx FAQ

This is a preliminary FAQ based on our Lavecon reveal. Please check back for more details as it is updated.
Updated 06/07/2019

What are Arx?
Arx are a new currency, replacing Frontier Points, being introduced to Elite Dangerous in the September Update and can be used to purchase Game Extras, such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!

What are Arx in lore terms? How does it fit into the galaxy?
Arx is an alternative currency created and regulated by the Bank of Zaonce.

How do I get Arx?
Arx can be earned by simply playing the game! We won't ask commanders to change how they play, simply being an active player and engaging with the game is all that's required. Additionally, players are also able to purchase packages of Arx through the platforms' respective stores (Frontier Store, Steam, PlayStation Store and Xbox Marketplace).

What can I spend Arx on?
As mentioned above, Arx can be spent on Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!

Can I gift Arx, or Game Extras purchased with Arx, to another player?
At this time, it will not be possible to gift Arx or Game Extras (purchased with Arx) to other players.

Will Arx replace Frontier Points?
Yes, Arx will replace Frontier Points and players who have any outstanding balance of Frontier Points will have them converted into Arx appropriately.

Will Arx replace Credits?
Nope! Arx will not replace Credits, nor are Credits purchasable.

No, Arx are only spent on Game Extras (such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!).

Will the rewards for missions change because of Arx?
No, rewards from missions will not be adjusted with the introduction of Arx.

Do I need Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus to earn of purchase Arx on console?
You will not require either Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus to earn or purchase Arx in Elite Dangerous.

No, we currently have no plans to change Elite Dangerous over to a free-to-play model.

Actually, yes! We've been making improvements to the Paint Job render system over the course of this year. New Paint Jobs will all use this improved system, meaning we are able to offer sharper, more detailed paint schemes than ever before. Furthermore, we are working through our back catalog to update Paint Jobs we feel could benefit from a touch up.
Direct question: will we be able to buy Arx using credits?

Direct question: will we be able to buy Arx using credits?
How do I get Arx?
Arx can be earned by simply playing the game! We won't ask commanders to change how they play, simply being an active player and engaging with the game is all that's required. Additionally, players are also able to purchase packages of Arx through the platforms' respective stores (Frontier Store, Steam, PlayStation Store and Xbox Marketplace).
edit: Ok, after rereading I think credits means ingame money and my guess would be no.

I hope that you can earn Arx by exploring as well. Would be nice to have some livery stuff on alt accounts too.

Arx FAQ

Updated 06/07/2019

What are Arx?
Arx are a new currency, replacing Frontier Points, being introduced to Elite Dangerous in the September Update and can be used to purchase Game Extras, such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!

What are Arx in lore terms? How does it fit into the galaxy?
Arx is an alternative currency created and regulated by the Bank of Zaonce.

How do I get Arx?

What can I spend Arx on?
As mentioned above, Arx can be spent on Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!

Can I gift Arx, or Game Extras purchased with Arx, to another player?
At this time, it will not be possible to gift Arx or Game Extras (purchased with Arx) to other players.

Will Arx replace Frontier Points?
Yes, Arx will replace Frontier Points and players who have any outstanding balance of Frontier Points will have them converted into Arx appropriately.

Will Arx replace Credits?
Nope! Arx will not replace Credits, nor are Credits purchasable.

No, Arx are only spent on Game Extras (such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!).

Will the rewards for missions change because of Arx?
No, rewards from missions will not be adjusted with the introduction of Arx.

Do I need Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus to earn of purchase Arx on console?
You will not require either Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus to earn or purchase Arx in Elite Dangerous.

This sounds way too close to Star Trek Online's way of doing things. And Cryptic's model is horrendous and a rip-off. I certainly will not be buying any "Arx"
I also don't like the idea of two currencies in the game. If you want things like paintjobs and bobbleheads to be purchasable in-game, then why not just allow us to buy them with credits? I wouldn't even care if it was 1 billion for a paintjob, but this model opens you up to accusations of cash grab.

I support you making things purchasable in-game, but as usual, you have a horrible way of doing things. 1 out of 10 for effort.

edit: Ok, after rereading I think credits means ingame money and my guess would be no.
Allow commanders to earn customisation items through gameplay
As part of the update to the livery system and the introduction of Arx, commanders will be able to acquire cosmetic items by simply playing the game! We won't ask commanders to change how they play, simply being an active player and engaging with the game is all that's required. A number of Arx can be earned each week and will be instantly added to a player's Arx balance and can be spent there and then, or saved for later. We'll have more details on how these can be earned in-game and the amount you can earn, closer to the release of the September Update.

Top Bottom