ANNOUNCEMENT Lavecon 2019 Content Reveal

Why complicate by having a virtual currency? Why not just earn store credit in game?
Why would this be a bad thing? Why? Why?
I suspect that the reason for standardising on virtual currency for all platform is to simplify the portal where ship skins, paint jobs, bobble heads etc are bought.
Frontier will need to only code an item once for one Arx value. There won’t need to code a version for each currency.

Hello Frontier!

Thanks for the heads up - fleet carriers this year, I wasn’t expecting that! Fantastic news! Fleet carriers are far more than I expected before the 2020 release, so I’m really excited.

One suggestion - there is a lot of ambiguity over how fleet carriers might operate and be used (mobile super weapons? Mass transit? Customisable headquarters? Etc). The notion of them requiring resource grind before moving, for example, has raised valid questions about how useful they’ll be. How about implementing a beta period for the December update, as well as a Forum consultation on the feature? It can’t do any harm and it may well avert potential problems.

Back to the upcoming update: it’s also good to see the new player experience softened some more. Hopefully when the enormous influx of new players arrives with the 2020 release very few of them ‘bounce off’ the game due to perceived difficulty, as have in the past. All that augurs for a fuller, richer Elite Dangerous for the future. Good changes 👍

Adding better preview ability to the cosmetics will be a great help, as well as unbundling individual skins and rewarding regular play with store credit. I didn’t expect changes like that, and they’re genuinely going to improve the experience for the player. So thank you for that. Further evidence that Frontier have one of the most responsible and least predatory approaches to online game monetisation out there 👍

I don’t love the idea of livery changes in-flight, but then I’m the kind of self-flagellating immersion hound who voted against instant ship transfer 😄 But I can see this being a welcome change for many.

One consideration: cash store currencies are becoming more and more notorious as simply exploitative ways to make players spend more than they want to, throughout the industry. Selling ‘gems’, ‘crowns’ (Arx?) etc in bundles of 100, and pricing cash shop items at 120, for example, is now widely recognised as a cynical way to make players spend more than they wish to. This is now widely recognised and receiving more and more attention - and I could see it even going the way of loot boxes in attracting negative press and possibly regulatory attention.

It would be great for Frontier to be the company that leads the way in opposing these practices. Selling Arx bundles in equal quantity to the price of basic cosmetics, for example, would further solidify Frontier’s reputation as one of the best stewards of online games out there.

How about it?

All in all, great changes and thank you for the fantastic game 💪

It's absolutely mind-boggling how an experienced community management team can post such a disastrous post. Don't you guys read what you post first?
So the core of the community, hardcore lategamers with thousends of hours invested in this game get nothing, again. We will be able to buy copy-pasted ship skins and will finally get a year late fleet carriers (which most likely will be useless as they will change destination on server ticks as normal megaships).

If not for Elite monopoly in space sim genre most of us would dump this game long ago. Never have Frontier needed competition more then now.
Sickening.

If you read this post https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/important-community-update-01-03.479122/ frontier literally tell use that the next major update wont be until 2020 and until then we will be getting small Quality of Life and new player focused updates over the course of 2 months... so it's exactly what FDev have said they would do.
we will also be releasing a series of updates roughly every 3-4 months. The first two of these updates will primarily focus on new player and welcoming experiences, and we will also be introducing a number of quality of life improvements for the entire player base
As for fleet carriers. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/squad-goals.425830/ This post might answer that question. The officers of a squadron will be able to plot a jump if you choose to let them. To me this sounds like we will be able to move the Carrier to another system as we see fit, not sure on how manuevering them around said system would work. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
So, with the old system, I can use money in my Steam Wallet to purchase in-game items through the Elite Dangerous Steam Item Store even though I bought the game outside of Steam through Frontier's regular store.

With this new system, will I still be able to purchase things this way? Will the Item Store just transition over to selling currency?

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of being able to earn currency that can be used to buy otherwise exclusive items in game, but I didn't necessarily find any problem with the old system and I think it'd be a mistake to completely eliminate the old system - surely the two can coexist, with options to buy the items with real money or through the in game store.

Great.
In-game Micro Transactions.
Exactly what we needed, not new content, rebalancing worthless modules.

no a Micro transaction store rework is what we need!! not Bug fixing that are sometimes left for years.
because we dont care about out players, we just care about their money, especially new players , gotta make sure they get into the game, so they can spend money!!

EA move Fdev, EA move.
I do not support this Arx Bullcrap, i dont care if you can now "earn it via gameplay" as its for sure gonna take weeks maybe even longer to earn poorly designed garbage that shouldve been free in the gently caressing first place.

If this is even slightly in your face, or ill be reminded to buy your premium currency, me and all of my friends are gone Frontier.
I'm not even gonna start if i smell the tiniest wiff of P2W.

As for Changing cosmetics on the fly?
I guess its desired, but it kinda takes away from the anticipation of being long in deep space, coming back and making some changes to your ship.

Fleet carriers, great cant wait to see what i need to grind for to make it usable.

Its getting harder and harder justifying staying in this game.
EA move, really. How? EA will lock content, like full on content behind a pay wall... Arx point are going to be for cosmetic items (aswell as bobble heads, ship kits ect) it's the complete opposite of a "EA move" Here's another post in which they answered some questions about Arx.
Can I spend ARX on in-game items, such as commodities and materials?
No, Arx are only spent on Game Extras (such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!).
So yeah pretty much confirmed it's not going pay to win. Personally I don't think it ever will... I hope, no I pray it never does but for know we're safe.

I have to agree with the bit about being able to change ship skin on the fly thing. But it is what it is. I suppose we could always just choose not to use it and wait till we're back at station.

Last edited:
Ok ? At this point I don't even know what your talking about. I see a person complaining about having to buy packs for one paint job, so I tell them to read the post properly, some says I can't read so post the quote that says you can buy individual paint jobs, and apparently I'm salty ?

About what ?

Am I having a stroke ?

Am I being gas lighted ?

Ugh, just forget what I said, sorry for acting like a jerk, I was having a fit this afternoon, had nothing to do with ED whatsoever, and was pi..ed when I read about paints being sold seperatly now while I already bought so many packs and only use a couple colors from those packs.
I'm back to relax mode now and actually am glad they make this change.
Ugh, live can be such a pain in the ..s sometimes.

trying to reason with Dutchman .. it's allowed :D

Do you even realise how hard that is? I know, I tried......and failed miserably.

Please let authorized squadron members control the Fleet Carrier and tell it where to go inside a star system and also between star systems. For example if there's enough fuel the member can select a location in the star system and give the order. Then the ship will move to that location.

There also needs to be enough ship customization with upgrades. Better is if each faction has a different looking Fleet Carrier (Federation, Empire and Alliance).
Already been confirmed that authorised squadron members can plot the jump of the carrier here

"What privileges can the leader set?

The Squadron leader can set the following privileges:

• Officers can invite Commanders into the Squadron (yes/no) (greyed out if new members cannot join)
  • Officers can kick Pilots from the Squadron (yes/no)
  • Officers can plot a jump for a Fleet Carrier (yes/no)
  • Officers can select purchase upgrades for a Fleet Carrier (yes/no)
  • Officers can set the ‘Message of the Day’ (yes/no)"

Edit: eh sorry my complaining so much, still not fully on board switching from cash to a point based payment system but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Ugh, just forget what I said, sorry for acting like a jerk, I was having a fit this afternoon, had nothing to do with ED whatsoever, and was pi..ed when I read about paints being sold seperatly now while I already bought so many packs and only use a couple colors from those packs.
I'm back to relax mode now and actually am glad they make this change.
Ugh, live can be such a pain in the ..s sometimes.

Do you even realise how hard that is? I know, I tried......and failed miserably.
Ah, no worry's you original post makes a lot more sense know. I can see how the news that they are only just know adding the ability to by things individually would be irritating.

If that 'ingame earning ARX thingy' will lead to people leaving their PC on 24/7 hours, I assure you they'll run into some serious reputation hits from various environment groups. Similar to the bitcoin nonsense whos energy consumption is that of the whole swiss - something that never ever should be encouraged. This ARX points should be 'earned' by something that isn't achievable by just running the game idle in the background.
You might find this video useful. He talks to Will who basically confirms that you wont be able to gain Arx just by sitting and doing nothing. You have to be doing stuff in game.

Well this is disappointing AF. Seriously, the big content drop is cash shop cosmetics and fleet carriers which I doubt will land this year. Where's the actual content??? Starting to lose a lot of faith in this game....fast.

You might find this video useful. He talks to Will who basically confirms that you wont be able to gain Arx just by sitting and doing nothing. You have to be doing stuff in game.
I haven't watched the video but the way you describe what Will said reminds me of how notoriety was initially implemented. You couldn't just sit in the dock but you could leave your ship floating in space. It'll be interesting to see how it is implemented, but any exploitable loophole will affect FDev rather than other players.

Thank you FDev. Very cool.
And I'm sorry about all the complainers.

Things don't get done if people don't complain or to better put it, provide feedback. Remember these companies are in it to make money, they will walk all over the consumer if given the chance, just look at EA (Not saying Fdev is EA 😁)

reads the full post These changes are going to make thing much more fun in the long run, and we get to earn what we need to buy like paint jogs. I'm eager to learn the details behind the carriers that are coming.

Well this is disappointing AF. Seriously, the big content drop is cash shop cosmetics and fleet carriers which I doubt will land this year. Where's the actual content??? Starting to lose a lot of faith in this game....fast.
Seriously did people not read this post of have they just forgot about it? FDev have already told us what to except. They told us "The Next Era" of Elite wouldn't be until late 2020 and in the mean time 2019 would be new player focused and QoL updates. As far as I'm concerened the updates we've gotten so far fall into those categories.
The Next Era

Back in August, we mentioned that the team had begun work on the next major era of Elite. We believe this will be a defining moment in the history of the game and it will be our biggest update yet.

In that post, we explained that the content was still very early in development, so we won’t be ready to announce it for a while. To give this more context, in order to realise the ambition for this update, and the size and scope of the content we wish to bring to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, we estimate this major milestone will be ready by the latter half of 2020.
Regular updates

In addition to the weekly and monthly activity happening in Elite, we will also be releasing a series of updates roughly every 3-4 months. The first two of these updates will primarily focus on new player and welcoming experiences, and we will also be introducing a number of quality of life improvements for the entire player base
Sure it sucks we haven't gotten something massive but it's not like Frontier haven't been open about that aspect.

Top Bottom